    It looks very complicated, and I don't think I'll need it. I can't imagine
    having any use for it.

    Shall I just ignore it?

    Geopelia, Jan 20, 2010

  2. Geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 21, 1:44 am, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > I seem to have something called silverlight. I never heard of it before. I
    > got an update come in for it today.
    >
    > It looks very complicated, and I don't think I'll need it. I can't imagine
    > having any use for it.
    >
    > Shall I just ignore it?

    It just allows fancy-schmancy web page effects. Not harmful and no,
    you don't need it but you may not see all the content of some web
    pages.

    JohnO, Jan 20, 2010

  3. Geopelia

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:44:55 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > I seem to have something called silverlight. I never heard of it before.
    > I got an update come in for it today.
    >
    > It looks very complicated, and I don't think I'll need it. I can't
    > imagine having any use for it.
    >
    > Shall I just ignore it?

    Best to uninstall it. It looks like it was forced onto your computer by Microsoft, and without your consent.

    And, in my opinion, like all Microsoft software, it almost certainly has major security vulnerabilities.

    Sweetpea, Jan 21, 2010
  4. In message <4b585d6f$>, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> And, in my opinion, like all Microsoft software, it almost certainly has
    >> major security vulnerabilities.

    > Your opinion only at this stage

    Time for somebody who knows how to use Google to chime in:

    <https://cert.belnet.be/belnetadvisories/microsoft-silverlight-common-language-runtime-vulnerability>
    <http://secunia.com/advisories/product/20227/>
    <http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16105/>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 21, 2010
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight isn't
    there.
    So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update.
    I'll ignore it.

    Thanks to all.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 24, 2010
  6. Geopelia

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:48:56 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight isn't
    > there.
    > So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update. I'll
    > ignore it.
    >
    > Thanks to all.
    >
    > Geopelia

    You've done the right thing Geopelia. Always best to check out stuff as much as possible before
    installing it - most especially so if it is unsolicited.

    Sweetpea, Jan 24, 2010
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Sweetpea" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:48:56 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight isn't
    >> there.
    >> So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update. I'll
    >> ignore it.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > You've done the right thing Geopelia. Always best to check out stuff as
    > much as possible before
    > installing it - most especially so if it is unsolicited.

    I always install all the Express Microsoft Updates. Much of the time I
    haven't a clue what they do, but I expect the Microsoft chaps know what they
    are doing, especially if they are Critical. They usually download
    automatically anyway, then I have to restart the computer.

    Geopelia, Jan 25, 2010
  8. Geopelia

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:57:14 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > I always install all the Express Microsoft Updates. Much of the time I
    > haven't a clue what they do, but I expect the Microsoft chaps know what
    > they are doing, especially if they are Critical.

    You shouldn't assume that MS has your interest in mind when they push something onto your
    computer. :)

    Most of the time it is OK, but certain "updates" remove existing functionality. :)

    Sweetpea, Jan 25, 2010
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight
    >> isn't there.
    >> So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update.
    >> I'll ignore it.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all.
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > If you got an update, then you've got it. Probably in the Windows section
    > rather than Applications, as it is integral to the way Winodws deals with
    > enabled websites.
    >

    > It REALLY isn't something you should be worrying about.
    >

    > geoff

    I'm not worrying, I can always get the computer man to sort out any
    problems, if I can't follow the good advice people give me here.

    But after the big power cut yesterday, I kept getting the error where the
    other computer "didn't respond in a timely manner". It still didn't this
    morning, then it suddenly came right.
    Did anyone else find this? (error 718).

    Geopelia, Jan 26, 2010
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you got an update, then you've got it. Probably in the Windows
    >>> section rather than Applications, as it is integral to the way
    >>> Winodws deals with enabled websites.
    >>>

    >>> It REALLY isn't something you should be worrying about.
    >>>

    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> I'm not worrying, I can always get the computer man to sort out any
    >> problems, if I can't follow the good advice people give me here.

    > In this (Silverlight) case there is nothing to sort out, and little "good
    > advice".
    >
    > You new problem doesn't sound so great though. After a re-boot how does
    > it go ?
    >
    > geoff

    I tried all that last night, nothing worked. Same this morning. Then it
    suddenly came right, and connected.
    Would it just be xtra that wouldn't "answer in a timely manner"?
    It seems OK today.

    Not to worry, I spent last evening scanning photos into the computer, that
    didn't need the internet.

    Geopelia, Jan 26, 2010