    * * * To reply, please email to
    This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
    Cheers.
    W Chan, Jul 12, 2004

  2. "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    news:wTrIc.1010223$Pk3.648817@pd7tw1no...
    > Hmm..
    > This may be a silly question - I hv just purchased a nikon d70 digital

    slr..
    > i hv taken pics on a few trips.. most recently i hv noticed that the jpeg
    > image shows two oval shaped shadows (about 0.10 cm in diameter) on the

    upper
    > right hand corners... i cleaned up the lens and reshot... found similar
    > observations... i wonder what the problem is? The problem seems to be

    more
    > obvious in plain colour background (eg. blue sky, white walls)
    >
    > any advice?
    >
    > w-vancouver bc
    >
    > --
    > * * * To reply, please email to
    > This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
    > Cheers.

    If the mark looks identical in position of each picture then it sounds like
    you have dust on the sensor

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 12, 2004

  3. W Chan

    Justin Thyme Guest

    Sounds like dust on the sensor.
    No real way of avoiding it - except maybe buying an Olympus E1 that has an
    ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Dunno about in USA, but in Australia Nikon will
    give you one free clean during the warranty period.

    Justin Thyme, Jul 12, 2004
  4. "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds like dust on the sensor.
    > No real way of avoiding it - except maybe buying an Olympus E1 that has an
    > ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Dunno about in USA, but in Australia Nikon will
    > give you one free clean during the warranty period.

    You can, at your own risk, do the cleaning for yourself. Of course, the
    manufacturers all say that you should only entrust the cleaning to them.
    I have a Fuji S2 Pro which I clean every couple of months on average
    without any problems.

    If you decide to go this route, you may find the following URL useful

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

    Regards
    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 12, 2004
  5. W Chan wrote:
    > Hmm..
    > This may be a silly question - I hv just purchased a nikon d70
    > digital slr.. i hv taken pics on a few trips.. most recently i hv
    > noticed that the jpeg image shows two oval shaped shadows (about 0.10
    > cm in diameter) on the upper right hand corners... i cleaned up the
    > lens and reshot... found similar observations... i wonder what the
    > problem is? The problem seems to be more obvious in plain colour
    > background (eg. blue sky, white walls)
    >
    > any advice?
    >
    > w-vancouver bc

    I am not sure of the dust theory. How about posting a image and a link
    to it so we can see it. Maybe a better description. For example is the
    image sharp? How did you measure the 0.10 cm size? Is that on a print?
    What size print?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 12, 2004
  6. W Chan

    W Chan Guest

    Dennis,

    I use the link as you suggested. My problem is exactly like the pic shown in
    http://www.pbase.com/image/20980695 - oval shade shadows consistently in the
    same position in some of my pics with clear background.

    I suppose there is no way to avoid as some of you said... Is there any way
    to minimize this problem?

    Now re fixing the problem, I believe Nikon Canada will clean once/year
    during warranty period (I just bought the camera 1 mth ago...) I will
    probably send it back to Nikon for cleaning.. But just that in the future,
    this problem will recur for sure. Need to find a solution to fix it
    myself....

    any tips?

    will-vancouver bc

    --
    * * * To reply, please email to
    This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
    Cheers.
    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccttjj$75l$...

    W Chan, Jul 12, 2004
  7. W Chan

    C J Campbell Guest

    Nikon's manual for the D70 contains instructions for cleaning the sensor
    along with warnings not to do it yourself. Nevertheless, most dust blows off
    the sensor very easily. Dust will get in there almost every time you change
    your lens. I have been using those canned air things and keep one in my bag.
    C J Campbell, Jul 12, 2004
  8. "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    > Dennis,
    >
    > I use the link as you suggested. My problem is exactly like the pic shown

    in
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/20980695 - oval shade shadows consistently in

    the
    > same position in some of my pics with clear background.
    >
    > I suppose there is no way to avoid as some of you said... Is there any way
    > to minimize this problem?
    >
    > Now re fixing the problem, I believe Nikon Canada will clean once/year
    > during warranty period (I just bought the camera 1 mth ago...) I will
    > probably send it back to Nikon for cleaning.. But just that in the future,
    > this problem will recur for sure. Need to find a solution to fix it
    > myself....
    >
    > any tips?
    >
    > will-vancouver bc

    I am sure you will never be able to stop the dust getting there, but it
    helps if you can keep all your equipment very clean. If the camera body or
    lens, particularly around the mount area are dusty, then blow them clean
    before removing or re-fitting the lens. When dust becomes apparent, then I
    first try to blow it clear using a hurricane blower. (just a large rubber
    bulb blower without brush). I did try canned air once, and got propellant
    spattered over the sensor. I would advise against this.

    At first that single dirt spot was the end of my dreams. I was dejected
    and thought my camera was going to be an utter waste of time. Now I am not
    quite so critical, and accept the odd dust spot. Only when it gets to be an
    annoyance, or if I am going to shoot something special, then I give the
    camera a clean. First clean was a bit nerve-wracking, but went without a
    hitch.

    I am sure you have decided on the best course of action at the present to
    get Nikon to fix it.

    Regards
    Dennis, Scotland,UK
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 12, 2004
  9. "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccufhj$afp$...

    > "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    > > Dennis,
    > >
    > > I use the link as you suggested. My problem is exactly like the pic

    shown
    > in
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/20980695 - oval shade shadows consistently in

    > the
    > > same position in some of my pics with clear background.
    > >
    > > I suppose there is no way to avoid as some of you said... Is there any

    way
    > > to minimize this problem?
    > >
    > > Now re fixing the problem, I believe Nikon Canada will clean once/year
    > > during warranty period (I just bought the camera 1 mth ago...) I will
    > > probably send it back to Nikon for cleaning.. But just that in the

    future,
    > > this problem will recur for sure. Need to find a solution to fix it
    > > myself....
    > >
    > > any tips?
    > >
    > > will-vancouver bc
    > >

    > I am sure you will never be able to stop the dust getting there, but it
    > helps if you can keep all your equipment very clean. If the camera body

    or
    > lens, particularly around the mount area are dusty, then blow them clean
    > before removing or re-fitting the lens. When dust becomes apparent, then

    > first try to blow it clear using a hurricane blower. (just a large rubber
    > bulb blower without brush). I did try canned air once, and got

    propellant
    > spattered over the sensor. I would advise against this.
    >
    > At first that single dirt spot was the end of my dreams. I was dejected
    > and thought my camera was going to be an utter waste of time. Now I am

    not
    > quite so critical, and accept the odd dust spot. Only when it gets to be

    an
    > annoyance, or if I am going to shoot something special, then I give the
    > camera a clean. First clean was a bit nerve-wracking, but went without a
    > hitch.
    >
    > I am sure you have decided on the best course of action at the present to
    > get Nikon to fix it.
    >
    > Regards
    > Dennis, Scotland,UK

    PS . example of marks left by canned air is on
    www.ekuk.fsnet.co.uk/dust.jpg
    The minor marks are jpeg artefacts due to compressing for the web

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 12, 2004
  10. W Chan

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:ccufsr$pds$...

    > PS . example of marks left by canned air is on
    > www.ekuk.fsnet.co.uk/dust.jpg
    > The minor marks are jpeg artefacts due to compressing for the web

    You have to be very careful using canned air, not holding the tip too close
    and making sure that the can stays upright so that propellant is not
    released onto the chip. The propellant will not come off and the chip will
    definitely have to be professionally cleaned.
    C J Campbell, Jul 12, 2004
  11. W Chan

    leo Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > W Chan wrote:
    > > Hmm..
    > > This may be a silly question - I hv just purchased a nikon d70
    > > digital slr.. i hv taken pics on a few trips.. most recently i hv
    > > noticed that the jpeg image shows two oval shaped shadows (about 0.10
    > > cm in diameter) on the upper right hand corners... i cleaned up the
    > > lens and reshot... found similar observations... i wonder what the
    > > problem is? The problem seems to be more obvious in plain colour
    > > background (eg. blue sky, white walls)
    > >
    > > any advice?
    > >
    > > w-vancouver bc

    > I am not sure of the dust theory. How about posting a image and a

    link
    > to it so we can see it. Maybe a better description. For example is the
    > image sharp? How did you measure the 0.10 cm size? Is that on a print?
    > What size print?
    >
    > --
    > Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Your camera is only 1 month young. Did you do anything drastic during lens
    change? The reason I ask is I have a 300D for 6 months. I change lens quite
    regularly and carefully a couple of times a week. I just shot a picture of
    the blue sky. I zoom in the pciture to check and do not notice any dust
    speckles.
    leo, Jul 12, 2004
  12. "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message

    > "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:ccufsr$pds$...
    > > >

    > > PS . example of marks left by canned air is on
    > > www.ekuk.fsnet.co.uk/dust.jpg
    > > The minor marks are jpeg artefacts due to compressing for the web

    > You have to be very careful using canned air, not holding the tip too

    close
    > and making sure that the can stays upright so that propellant is not
    > released onto the chip. The propellant will not come off and the chip will
    > definitely have to be professionally cleaned.

    I count myself fortunate not to have damaged the camera.
    The spots all cleaned off without any problem using the recommended swabs
    and cleaning fluid.

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 12, 2004
  13. Dennis Bradley wrote:

    > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Sounds like dust on the sensor.
    >>No real way of avoiding it - except maybe buying an Olympus E1 that has an
    >>ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Dunno about in USA, but in Australia Nikon will
    >>give you one free clean during the warranty period.
    >>

    > You can, at your own risk, do the cleaning for yourself. Of course, the
    > manufacturers all say that you should only entrust the cleaning to them.
    > I have a Fuji S2 Pro which I clean every couple of months on average
    > without any problems.
    >
    > If you decide to go this route, you may find the following URL useful
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    >
    > Regards
    > Dennis

    I am always getting debris on my sensor, its rather annoying cause you
    don’t find out until you get the image onto your computer, canned air is
    apparently bad for the sensor, you need to use canned CO2
    Sebastian Hegarty, Jul 19, 2004
  14. "Sebastian Hegarty" <> wrote in message
    > Dennis Bradley wrote:
    >
    > > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Sounds like dust on the sensor.
    > >>No real way of avoiding it - except maybe buying an Olympus E1 that has

    an
    > >>ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Dunno about in USA, but in Australia Nikon

    will
    > >>give you one free clean during the warranty period.
    > >>

    > > You can, at your own risk, do the cleaning for yourself. Of course,

    the
    > > manufacturers all say that you should only entrust the cleaning to them.
    > > I have a Fuji S2 Pro which I clean every couple of months on average
    > > without any problems.
    > >
    > > If you decide to go this route, you may find the following URL useful
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Dennis
    > >

    > I am always getting debris on my sensor, its rather annoying cause you
    > don’t find out until you get the image onto your computer, canned air is
    > apparently bad for the sensor, you need to use canned CO2

    I have not heard of canned CO2 in the UK. I thought it might be the
    propellant in the aerosol that was the problem.
    Anyone know of a brand or supplier of canned CO2 ?

    Dennis
    Dennis Bradley, Jul 19, 2004
  15. Copperhill instructions work!

    I have a D70 and have purchased the Sensorswipe, eclipse cleaning fluid and
    Pec-Pad's.

    I did the obligatory sky shot at f22 before and after and it worked great.

    Mark Kovalcson, Jul 19, 2004
  16. Re: Copperhill instructions work!

    Congratulations Mark It is that first step that is the problem. Once the
    initial fears are overcome it becomes a matter of routine.
    However, "prevention is always better than cure"

    Dennis

    Dennis Bradley, Jul 19, 2004
  17. Re: Copperhill instructions work!

    "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:cdh2sj$emf$...
    > Congratulations Mark It is that first step that is the problem. Once

    the
    > initial fears are overcome it becomes a matter of routine.
    > However, "prevention is always better than cure"

    I'm certainly not going to be without my camera to ship it to someone else
    for a routine such as cleaning.

    I'm also careful about when I change lenses, but to my knowledge there is no
    way to prevent dust from accumulating on the sensor to begin with.

    I still know a few D100 users who have never cleaned their camera after a
    year of use and shooting thousands of pictures. I guess they don't change
    their lenses regularly and don't shoot the sky much.
    Mark Kovalcson, Jul 20, 2004