    or is this something else ?

    thanks :)
    , Sep 14, 2005

  2. GWTC Guest

    wrote:

    > okay, I'm confused :)
    >
    > I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
    > so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?
    >
    > is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
    > ( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
    > or is this something else ?
    >
    > thanks :)

    And where are you finding Firefox 1.6 alpha 1?
    GWTC, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Jedi Fans Guest

    GWTC wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> okay, I'm confused :)
    >>
    >> I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
    >> so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?
    >>
    >> is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
    >> ( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
    >> or is this something else ?
    >>
    >> thanks :)

    > And where are you finding Firefox 1.6 alpha 1?

    its a nightly basically
    Ok, Firefox 1.5 being in Beta status means it is "locked down",
    therefore any new additions to the code for Firefox wont be accepted
    into 1.5, 1.5 is just having bugs squashed before the final release in
    essence, so 1.6 alpha 1 is the firefox version *after* 1.5
    I may be wrong on this but this is my understanding of it ;)

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, Mozilla Firefox
    Jedi Fans, Sep 14, 2005
  4. JamesMZ Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    > GWTC wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> okay, I'm confused :)
    > >>
    > >> I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
    > >> so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?
    > >>
    > >> is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
    > >> ( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
    > >> or is this something else ?
    > >>
    > >> thanks :)

    > > And where are you finding Firefox 1.6 alpha 1?

    > its a nightly basically
    > Ok, Firefox 1.5 being in Beta status means it is "locked down",
    > therefore any new additions to the code for Firefox wont be accepted
    > into 1.5, 1.5 is just having bugs squashed before the final release in
    > essence, so 1.6 alpha 1 is the firefox version *after* 1.5
    > I may be wrong on this but this is my understanding of it ;)

    The current Firefox/1.4 builds is the Branch nightlies, which will be
    Firefox 1.5 soon enough. The Firefox/1.6a1 is the Trunk nightlies which
    will lead to Firefox 2.0 a long time down the road. The Trunk nightlies
    may be more unstable as checkins are often on the Trunk first and if it
    works ok,(safe enough) then it may get checked on the Branch.

    Tree is OPEN to approved checkins. All checkins to this branch require
    approval from drivers http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/Mozilla1.8/ as they
    want to keeep stability.

    The basics of where the Branch and Trunk builds can be found, if you
    want to try any, just don't share the same profile between the 1.0.x
    and branch and trunk builds or will have problems.

    Branch (1.4)
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla1.8/
    (<-yes this is Firefox)

    Trunk(1.6a1)
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

    Q. What is the trunk?
    A. The trunk is the central source code that is used for continuous and
    ongoing development. Trunk builds contain the very latest bleeding-edge
    changes and updates. However, the trunk can also be very unstable at
    times, so it's good to ask around before using trunk builds.

    Q. What is a branch?
    A. Branches are "forks" in the code, split from the trunk and destined
    to become end-user releases. At conception, a branch contains
    everything that the trunk contains, but from that point onwards, only
    certain fixes or changes will be accepted. Therefore, over time, the
    branch becomes more stable.
    JamesMZ, Sep 17, 2005