    Can anyone else confirm whether this is a Sipgate problem or do I need
    to check my setup here again?

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Chris Blunt

    Julius Guest

    Yes my Asterisk box can't register for hours
    Julius, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Chris Blunt

    Julius Guest

    Nothing on their website regarding issues, I know it is 7.20am in
    Germany, I'm guessing nothing has alarmed for them to be even looking
    at the issue yet
    Julius, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Chris Blunt

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 5 Oct 2005 22:24:13 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >Nothing on their website regarding issues, I know it is 7.20am in
    >Germany, I'm guessing nothing has alarmed for them to be even looking
    >at the issue yet

    It seems to have come back up in the last few minutes.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Chris Blunt

    Julius Guest

    Still unable to get registered, I checked Asterisk logs, no
    registration at any time since last post (pardon the pun)
    Julius, Oct 6, 2005
  6. On 6 Oct 2005 09:00:17 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >Still unable to get registered, I checked Asterisk logs, no
    >registration at any time since last post (pardon the pun)

    in the absence of Ivor, "It's all working OK here".

    power cut this morning blipped it out for a good while but the blue
    light on the PAP2 reappeared and I just rang my landline via sipgate
    ok (despite having a full upload running which I forgot about)

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Oct 6, 2005
  7. Chris Blunt

    Julius Guest

    Seems like it is working again

    It would be nice if they posted something on their website, or emailed
    customers letting them know what is gogin on and that they're looking
    at it

    It would save them time and energy plus keep everyone in the loop
    Julius, Oct 6, 2005
  8. Chris Blunt

    Guest

    On 6 Oct 2005 12:34:29 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >It would save them time and energy plus keep everyone in the loop

    Have no fear Ivor will be here .
    , Oct 6, 2005
  9. Chris Blunt

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 6 Oct 2005 09:00:17 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >Still unable to get registered, I checked Asterisk logs, no
    >registration at any time since last post (pardon the pun)

    Although my connection did come back up for a while, it went down
    again later and has been down for almost 24 hours now.

    The situation is a bit confusing because we had a bad thunderstorm
    last night which took my broadband connection out for a while.
    Although that link seems to be normal again, my Sipgate connection is
    still not working.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Chris Blunt

    Tone Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:50:25 +0100, wrote:

    >On 6 Oct 2005 12:34:29 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:
    >

    >>It would save them time and energy plus keep everyone in the loop

    >Have no fear Ivor will be here .

    Have no fear. Peter Turtill's here

    --

    Just livin' the Vida Sofa
    Tone, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Chris Blunt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > On 6 Oct 2005 09:00:17 -0700, "Julius"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Still unable to get registered, I checked Asterisk
    > > logs, no registration at any time since last post
    > > (pardon the pun)

    > Although my connection did come back up for a while, it
    > went down again later and has been down for almost 24
    > hours now.
    >
    > The situation is a bit confusing because we had a bad
    > thunderstorm last night which took my broadband
    > connection out for a while. Although that link seems to
    > be normal again, my Sipgate connection is still not
    > working.
    >
    > Chris

    It was off for about 5 hours or so yesterday morning, been ok since.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Chris Blunt

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    > It was off for about 5 hours or so yesterday morning, been ok since.

    Not being funny, but that is not good. A telephone system needs to be
    reliable. I have been on the phone in my own place for over 15 years now
    and in all those 15 years I have been without my phone due to a fault
    for about 2 days in total. The worse one was when someone put a pickaxe
    into the cable when I was in my flat. But that only took a few hours to
    get working again.

    Over the last couple of months I have heard of a lot of people having
    problems with VOIP, Sipgate seems to get more than their fair share. But
    they are not the only ones.

    Granted that some problems are configuration, but not all.

    But I will say it again, a phone system needs to be reliable, just
    imagine if your trying to run a business.
    Ad C, Oct 7, 2005
  13. Chris Blunt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Over the last couple of months I have heard of a lot of
    > people having problems with VOIP, Sipgate seems to get
    > more than their fair share. But they are not the only
    > ones.
    >
    > Granted that some problems are configuration, but not all.
    >
    > But I will say it again, a phone system needs to be
    > reliable, just imagine if your trying to run a business.

    True, but it was in the early hours of the morning when most people were
    in bed. I didn't even notice it had been off until I saw my error logs. I
    really wouldn't have worried too much if somebody wasn't able to phone me
    at 3am <g>

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005
  14. Chris Blunt

    Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Over the last couple of months I have heard of a lot of
    > > people having problems with VOIP, Sipgate seems to get
    > > more than their fair share. But they are not the only
    > > ones.
    > >
    > > Granted that some problems are configuration, but not all.
    > >
    > > But I will say it again, a phone system needs to be
    > > reliable, just imagine if your trying to run a business.

    > True, but it was in the early hours of the morning when most people were
    > in bed. I didn't even notice it had been off until I saw my error logs. I
    > really wouldn't have worried too much if somebody wasn't able to phone me
    > at 3am <g>

    Two Points:-

    1 Real phone systems are supposed to have five-nines reliability.

    2 I noted your <g>, but you should be aware that 3am for you was 8pm
    for a Californian. Do you think it reasonable that their Sipgate
    service was unavailable just because you were asleep?

    (It's likely that a Californian would use a better VoIP provider; 8x8,
    Vonage, Net2Phone etc etc)

    -- The PG --
    , Oct 7, 2005
  15. Chris Blunt

    Guest

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:33:03 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >Not being funny, but that is not good.

    Especially has this is a regular occurance with the company concerned.
    , Oct 7, 2005
  16. Chris Blunt

    Guest

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:47:40 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >T. I
    >really wouldn't have worried too much if somebody wasn't able to phone me
    >at 3am <g>

    So if someone was calling you to inform you of some injury to a close
    relative you wouldn't have been bothered ! Ivor don't give me that you
    are once again making excuses for Sipgate's incompetence to provide a
    reliable service .
    , Oct 7, 2005
  17. Chris Blunt

    Guest

    On 7 Oct 2005 13:20:54 -0700, wrote:

    >2 Do you think it reasonable that their Sipgate
    >service was unavailable just because you were asleep?

    What ever Sipgate does is always reasonable in Ivor's eyes .
    , Oct 7, 2005
  18. Chris Blunt

    Julius Guest

    > What ever Sipgate does is always reasonable in Ivor's eyes .

    All VOIP providers have glitches, even beloved Vonage

    What I would like to see is that they provide updates to customers via
    email or the website

    Sipgate needs to improve their monitoring availability/functionality,
    it shouldn't be too difficult for them to place regular test calls to
    ensure outgoing/incoming is working (to test numbers of course) and if
    they fail, that an alarm is generated so someone can jump in and
    correct it quickly, not hours after the fact
    Julius, Oct 7, 2005
  19. Chris Blunt

    Guest

    On 7 Oct 2005 13:57:32 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >Sipgate needs to improve their monitoring availability/functionality,
    >it shouldn't be too difficult for them to place regular test calls to
    >ensure outgoing/incoming is working (to test numbers of course) and if
    >they fail, that an alarm is generated so someone can jump in and
    >correct it quickly, not hours after the fact

    You must be joking 9 till 4.30 Monday to Thursday 9 till 12.30 Friday
    and away until Monday morning and they just could not give a damn what
    happens to the service in between times .
    The newest Voip provider Freetalk provides technical support 24/7 but
    again weekends customers are on their own if anything goes wrong tough
    ,this of course is what you pay Vonage for 24/7 support all the year
    round .
    , Oct 7, 2005
  20. Chris Blunt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Two Points:-
    >
    > 1 Real phone systems are supposed to have five-nines
    > reliability.

    How do you know your BT line doesn't go off at 3am now and then..? It's
    only because of the more upfront web interfaces on VoIP that you know
    they've been off at hours when people aren't using them.

    > 2 I noted your <g>, but you should be aware that 3am for
    > you was 8pm for a Californian. Do you think it reasonable
    > that their Sipgate service was unavailable just because
    > you were asleep?

    I know plenty people in California, having spent much time there over the
    years. Not one of them would call me at 3am. I don't know anyone there who
    uses a European service as their only phone system, regardless of its
    reliability.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005