Silly Cisco question of the day

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bolt thrower, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. bolt thrower

    bolt thrower Guest

    Hi gang,

    Have a 7206 with a 100Base-FX port on it, and the following DHCP pool
    config:

    ip dhcp pool 0
    network 10.12.200.0 255.255.255.0
    domain-name xxxx
    dns server 10.1.1.7
    default-router 10.12.0.1
    lease 30

    Doesn't get much simpler, right? OK, now the 100Base-FX port is connected
    to an old 6006, and in that 6006 is a 48-port 100BT blade.

    No machine connected to the 6006 can get an address via DHCP.

    In fact, the 7206 also has a 100BT port, which I have since connected to a
    3500, and I can't get DHCP on that port either.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but DHCP requests are broadcasts, and switches
    forward broadcasts, right? I'm thinking there has to be something broken
    in the 7206's config.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.
    bolt thrower, Oct 23, 2003

  2. bolt thrower

    Thomas Voigt Guest

    Hi all!

    bolt thrower <> wrote:

    >Have a 7206 with a 100Base-FX port on it, and the following DHCP pool
    >config:
    >
    >ip dhcp pool 0
    >network 10.12.200.0 255.255.255.0
    >domain-name xxxx
    >dns server 10.1.1.7
    >default-router 10.12.0.1
    >lease 30

    Your default router isn't at the same network as the client is.
    So the client will never get outside his network...

    >No machine connected to the 6006 can get an address via DHCP.

    Maybe the above has nothing to do with this problem. But I think it's
    part of the solution.

    >Correct me if I am wrong, but DHCP requests are broadcasts, and switches
    >forward broadcasts, right? I'm thinking there has to be something broken
    >in the 7206's config.

    Yes, DHCP-Req's are broadcasts. The switches have to forward them.

    --
    Greetings from Weimar / Germany

    Thomas Voigt
    Thomas Voigt, Oct 23, 2003

  3. bolt thrower

    Aaron Woody Guest

    Have you enabled the DHCP service in Global config? If not, this is how...

    config t...
    router(config)#service dhcp

    Aaron

    Aaron Woody, Oct 23, 2003