    reasonable protection)?

    TIA,
    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 18, 2005

  2. Crash

    CSE Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:16:54 +1200, "Crash" <>
    wrote:

    >I have an acquaintance who loves using the internet but has no knowledge of
    >Windows (or any other OS). He called me in because his computer was 'a bit
    >slowish'. I wont repeat a fairly typical story about out-of-date AV
    >etc.etc.etc.
    >
    >One thing missing is a firewall. I use Kerio personally but that is no good
    >for him as it requires positive acknowledgement of everything. Is there an
    >equivalent of the XP2 firewall out there (asks no questions, delivers
    >reasonable protection)?
    >
    >TIA,
    >Crash.

    No you do need to know how to drive them, Try Outpost.

    CSE, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Crash

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in news:3VK8e.19684$1S4.1955850
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Is there an
    > equivalent of the XP2 firewall out there (asks no questions, delivers
    > reasonable protection)?

    Maybe try Zonealarm, (very low on my list, but.) It has a learning mode.
    Turn it on, run EVERY app that the user would use including windows updates
    etc. Then lock it down to not even prompt but deny all future apps.
    When something does not work, you get called, remote in and fix it. Make
    sure you configure remote control... Obviously, this is not going to as
    tight as a proper firewall setup, but it a heck of a lot better than
    nothing.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Crash

    Crash Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:16:54 +1200, "Crash"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have an acquaintance who loves using the internet but has no
    >> knowledge of Windows (or any other OS). He called me in because his
    >> computer was 'a bit slowish'. I wont repeat a fairly typical story
    >> about out-of-date AV etc.etc.etc.
    >>
    >> One thing missing is a firewall. I use Kerio personally but that is
    >> no good for him as it requires positive acknowledgement of
    >> everything. Is there an equivalent of the XP2 firewall out there
    >> (asks no questions, delivers reasonable protection)?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Crash.
    >>

    > No you do need to know how to drive them, Try Outpost.

    Thanks Roger - but I have already said this is simply not possible and that
    is why I specifically asked for a particular type of firewall.

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Crash" <> wrote in
    > news:3VK8e.19684$1S4.1955850 @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> Is there an
    >> equivalent of the XP2 firewall out there (asks no questions, delivers
    >> reasonable protection)?
    >>

    > Maybe try Zonealarm, (very low on my list, but.) It has a learning
    > mode. Turn it on, run EVERY app that the user would use including
    > windows updates etc. Then lock it down to not even prompt but deny
    > all future apps.
    > When something does not work, you get called, remote in and fix it.
    > Make sure you configure remote control... Obviously, this is not
    > going to as tight as a proper firewall setup, but it a heck of a lot
    > better than nothing.

    Thanks Dave - good ideas - but how do you 'remote in' with ME? I know about
    remote desktop for XP but I dont know any built-in option with ME. I have
    used PCANYWHERE in the past but this costs and so is not an option here.

    If I could 'remote in' I could silence Kerio by never setting the 'ask user'
    option.....

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Crash