Silent Failure of Applications

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jeff Gaines, Jul 8, 2010.

  1. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something happens
    nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64 :-(

    The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It has
    been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's kicked off
    by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't run manually either.
    I re-booted and all is well again, for how long I don't know.

    There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although that's
    almost impossible to find your way around.

    I also found this morning that another app - one I am writing in VS 2008 -
    also failed silently instead of throwing up an error message.

    Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 8, 2010

  2. Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something
    > happens nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64
    > :-(
    > The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It
    > has been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's
    > kicked off by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't
    > run manually either. I re-booted and all is well again, for how
    > long I don't know.
    > There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although
    > that's almost impossible to find your way around.
    >
    > I also found this morning that another app - one I am writing in VS
    > 2008 - also failed silently instead of throwing up an error message.
    >
    > Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

    What is the first application?

    The second - you may want to review the code - if the first is also
    something you wrote - same difference.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jul 8, 2010

  3. Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    It's SmartSync Pro from http://www.smartsync.com/

    >The second - you may want to review the code - if the first is also
    >something you wrote - same difference.

    I live in VS2008 :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 8, 2010
  4. Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > It's SmartSync Pro from http://www.smartsync.com/
    >
    > I live in VS2008 :)

    You may live in VS2008, but you are taking it to visit a completely new
    country in Windows 7. ;-) The differences in security alone can mess with
    the simplest of scripts to the most complicated of applications.

    For SmartSync - if you live in VS2008 - you must know that just because
    something stops working, doesn't mean it will make an event log entry or
    tell you why. It has to be programmed to do so *or* the issue had to be
    caused by something else that was programmed to tell you when it encountered
    issues. If you are getting no indications of why a certain program did not
    run - I would first investigate the application more closely.

    Are you running the latest version?
    - Current Version: 3.1 (Build 104 I believe)
    - Date of Release: March 29, 2010

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jul 8, 2010
  5. Jeff Gaines

    louise Guest

    On 7/8/2010 6:57 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although
    > something happens nearly every day to make me want to go
    > back to XP Pro x64 :-(
    >
    > The latest event is the silent failure of an application to
    > run. It has been working for weeks but last night it just
    > didn't run (it's kicked off by the task scheduler). I then
    > discovered it wouldn't run manually either. I re-booted and
    > all is well again, for how long I don't know.
    >
    > There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see -
    > although that's almost impossible to find your way around.
    >
    > I also found this morning that another app - one I am
    > writing in VS 2008 - also failed silently instead of
    > throwing up an error message.
    >
    > Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

    I had this happen with plain old Epson scanning software
    where I definitely had the 64 bit drivers from Epson.
    Rebooted and ok.

    Then I've had part of a program essentially disappear on
    several occasions. It's a database scheduling program for
    accounts. The first window always works - where the
    contacts are actually listed. However, the actuall
    scheduling window just opens blank and freezes. Here
    rebooting doesn't work and I need to restore a backup. That
    seems to fix it, but I've no idea why it happens ......

    These events are what I've run into in one week of running 7
    Prof 64 bit - I expect there's more to come :)

    Louise

    louise, Aug 9, 2010