    this problem would be greatly appreciated!
    --
    netnut
    =?Utf-8?B?bmV0bnV0?=, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Dear Netnut,

    I assume that this machine is not getting an IP address. It appears that
    your router also serves as a DHCP server, thus your address would come from
    the wireless connection. Could you please run: "ipconfig /all" from this XP
    machine to make sure that your wireless NIC is indeed _not_ getting an IP
    address?

    It would be very helpful to see the events from the Eventlog. Please open
    the Event Viewer ("eventvwr" from the command line) and check to make sure
    that there are no error events coming from your USB wireless network card.

    Whether or not there are errors, I would first recommend that you update
    your wireless network card driver from the manufacturer's web site. Most
    wireless problems are due to problematic drivers. Download the latest
    version from the manufacurer's web site and try that before continuing with
    my suggestions.

    You did not mention what type of security you have on your wireless network.
    This type of problem you describe could also happen if you misentered the
    WEP key, for example. I would re-check that key value if such is the case.
    Better yet, disable wireless security on your Access Point and remove the
    Access Point from the Preferred Networks list on the XP machine (in the
    "Wireless Networks" tab of the network card's properties window). If you
    can get an IP address and connected to the Internet, etc. after removing the
    security from the network, then there must be some problem with that part of
    the configuration. After that is done, you could attempt to configure both
    the AP and the client for wireless security.

    Service Pack 2 shows more information about Wireless Networks that are in an
    unuseable state and makes it easier to debug them. I reccommend updating
    when convienient, as there are also important security fixes that help
    protect your XP system.

    Brian Wehrle
    Software Test Engineer

    Microsoft Corporation

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Aug 16, 2004

  3. Hi,

    same problem here (it used to work now it doesn't)... a Win2000 laptop
    connects to the wireless router (via cable) and gets the good IP address
    range (as well as connecting to the Internet). The WinXP desktop doesn't,
    both wireless and via cable.

    I tried to put a fix IP address within the good range for the desktop, I can
    ping the router I can ping the laptop, I can ping the ADSL modem connected to
    the router, but I can't get on the internet, neither see in the browser the
    web config page of the wireless router or the ADSL modem.

    Basically it all works fine with the Win2000 but not on WinXP... it all
    changed all of a sudden, until 2 days ago it worked. Could this be caused by
    the SP2? I think my girlfriend installed it on the desktop...

    thanks in advance for any help

    ciao Luca

    =?Utf-8?B?THVjYSBGLg==?=, Aug 21, 2004