    What is the speed of the card I got (it doesn't
    say)?

    How important is the speed of the CF?
    Al, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Al

    Jim Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > About 8 months ago I bought a Canon Camera. It
    > came with a 32 mb CF card.
    >
    > I am thinking about getting a bigger CF.
    > What is the speed of the card I got (it doesn't
    > say)?

    Could you perchance tell us who made the card?

    > How important is the speed of the CF?

    Not very.

    Doesn't the manual tell you what speed is appropriate for your camera?
    Jim
    Jim, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Al

    Al Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Al" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>About 8 months ago I bought a Canon Camera. It
    >>came with a 32 mb CF card.
    >>
    >>I am thinking about getting a bigger CF.
    >>What is the speed of the card I got (it doesn't
    >>say)?

    > Could you perchance tell us who made the card?
    >
    >>How important is the speed of the CF?

    > Not very.
    >
    > Doesn't the manual tell you what speed is appropriate for your camera?
    > Jim

    Duuuuhhh. I never thought of that.
    I checked. It doesn't say a word.
    Al, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Al

    Mikey Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Jim wrote:
    > > "Al" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>About 8 months ago I bought a Canon Camera. It
    > >>came with a 32 mb CF card.
    > >>
    > >>I am thinking about getting a bigger CF.
    > >>What is the speed of the card I got (it doesn't
    > >>say)?

    > > Could you perchance tell us who made the card?
    > >
    > >>How important is the speed of the CF?

    > > Not very.
    > >
    > > Doesn't the manual tell you what speed is appropriate for your camera?
    > > Jim
    > >

    > Duuuuhhh. I never thought of that.
    > I checked. It doesn't say a word.

    Most of Canon's point-and-shoot models ship with relatively
    slow CF memory made by SimpleTech (it's around 8x speed).

    One way or another (whether it's review times, writing times
    for burst mode/movie clips etc) you will see improvements
    with faster memory. Get the fastest memory you can afford.
    Mikey, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Al

    Winston Guest

    It depends how advanced your camera is. Is it an SLR & does it have a
    motor drive, or is it a $200 point & shoot? The high end cameras all
    have a large buffer to handle the motor drive shots. If you need to
    fire off more than 20 shots within a 30 second period, you'll need to
    have a high speed card in order to empty the buffer & shoot again. For
    a point & shoot, you won't need one faster than a 1X (150kb/sec.)

    Winston

    Winston, Mar 15, 2005
  7. Al

    Mikey Guest

    "Winston" <> wrote in message news:...
    > It depends how advanced your camera is. Is it an SLR & does it have a
    > motor drive, or is it a $200 point & shoot? The high end cameras all
    > have a large buffer to handle the motor drive shots. If you need to
    > fire off more than 20 shots within a 30 second period, you'll need to
    > have a high speed card in order to empty the buffer & shoot again. For
    > a point & shoot, you won't need one faster than a 1X (150kb/sec.)

    That last claim is ridiculous. We saw drastic improvements
    (review speed, lag times when writing movie clips etc) in our
    very low-end A40 when we switched from regular Sandisk
    to Sandisk Ultra II.
    Mikey, Mar 15, 2005
  8. Al

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > It depends how advanced your camera is. Is it an SLR & does it have a
    > motor drive, or is it a $200 point & shoot? The high end cameras all
    > have a large buffer to handle the motor drive shots. If you need to
    > fire off more than 20 shots within a 30 second period, you'll need to
    > have a high speed card in order to empty the buffer & shoot again. For
    > a point & shoot, you won't need one faster than a 1X (150kb/sec.)

    It would seem somewhat the opposite to me. I have a relatively slow card
    in both my Digital Rebel XT and my point-and-shoot. With the buffer of the
    DR XT, the write speed of the card isn't much of a concern - at least not
    until I've fired at least 12 burst shots. On the other hand, in my
    point-and-shoot with no buffer, the slow card means an extra second or two
    between *every* shot. My chances of missing a subsequent shot are a lot
    higher with the P&S than the DR XT.

    teve
    Steve Wolfe, Mar 15, 2005
  9. Al

    Al Guest

    Winston wrote:
    > It depends how advanced your camera is. Is it an SLR & does it have a
    > motor drive, or is it a $200 point & shoot? The high end cameras all
    > have a large buffer to handle the motor drive shots. If you need to
    > fire off more than 20 shots within a 30 second period, you'll need to
    > have a high speed card in order to empty the buffer & shoot again. For
    > a point & shoot, you won't need one faster than a 1X (150kb/sec.)
    >
    > Winston

    S50
    Al, Mar 15, 2005
  10. Al <> writes:

    > About 8 months ago I bought a Canon Camera. It
    > came with a 32 mb CF card.
    >
    > I am thinking about getting a bigger CF.
    > What is the speed of the card I got (it doesn't
    > say)?
    >
    > How important is the speed of the CF?

    It depends on the camera. Many prosumer cameras aren't that fast about writing
    to the CF card, so faster media is wasted (though faster media will upload
    faster if you are using a USB 2.0/firewire card reader). Many of the DSLRs
    have some amount of optimization for high speed cards built in.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Mar 15, 2005
  11. Al

    Al Guest

    Winston wrote:
    > It depends how advanced your camera is. Is it an SLR & does it have a
    > motor drive, or is it a $200 point & shoot? The high end cameras all
    > have a large buffer to handle the motor drive shots. If you need to
    > fire off more than 20 shots within a 30 second period, you'll need to
    > have a high speed card in order to empty the buffer & shoot again. For
    > a point & shoot, you won't need one faster than a 1X (150kb/sec.)
    >
    > Winston

    The CF card says Canon, but the copyright is SanDisk.
    Al, Mar 15, 2005
  12. Al

    Steve Guest

    Mikey wrote:

    > you will see improvements with faster memory.
    > Get the fastest memory you can afford.

    Don't spend money that doen't pay you back. On my Nikon 5400 a standard Sandisk
    128MB card is actually a little bit faster than the 1 gig Sandisk ultra II card I
    have. Until I upgrade my computer I don't have a fast transfer option, so the extra
    $20 for the Ultra card hasn't gotten me anything extra. I don't need to get the card
    downloaded within a few minutes, so it's really not a problem, and I may manage to
    put off the computer upgrade for a while yet.

    If the OP is only "thinking" about something bigger than 32MB, then he apparently
    doesn't require high transfer speeds (yet) either, so the camera's write speed is
    what's important, especially if he doesn't have a fast transfer option without a
    computer upgrade. Trying a fast card before paying for it might be a good idea.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
    Steve, Mar 16, 2005
  13. Al

    Al Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Mikey wrote:
    >
    >> you will see improvements with faster memory.

    > > Get the fastest memory you can afford.

    > Don't spend money that doen't pay you back. On my Nikon 5400 a standard
    > Sandisk 128MB card is actually a little bit faster than the 1 gig
    > Sandisk ultra II card I have. Until I upgrade my computer I don't have a
    > fast transfer option, so the extra $20 for the Ultra card hasn't gotten
    > me anything extra. I don't need to get the card downloaded within a few
    > minutes, so it's really not a problem, and I may manage to put off the
    > computer upgrade for a while yet.
    >
    > If the OP is only "thinking" about something bigger than 32MB, then he
    > apparently doesn't require high transfer speeds (yet) either, so the
    > camera's write speed is what's important, especially if he doesn't have
    > a fast transfer option without a computer upgrade. Trying a fast card
    > before paying for it might be a good idea.

    OP here.

    The data for at least one picture - if not more - is written
    to internal memory in the camera, isn't it? Does the speed of
    the card have anything to do with the operation of the camera?
    Al, Mar 16, 2005
  14. Al wrote:
    []
    > OP here.
    >
    > The data for at least one picture - if not more - is written
    > to internal memory in the camera, isn't it? Does the speed of
    > the card have anything to do with the operation of the camera?

    Yes, for when the internal memory runs out (as when using rapid or
    continuous shooting) and for reviewing the pictures.
    Faster cards may also read into your computer more quickly if you have a
    USB 2.0 or Firewire reader.

    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 16, 2005
  15. Al

    Rick Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in message
    > Al wrote:
    > []
    > > OP here.
    > >
    > > The data for at least one picture - if not more - is written
    > > to internal memory in the camera, isn't it? Does the speed of
    > > the card have anything to do with the operation of the camera?

    > Yes, for when the internal memory runs out (as when using rapid or
    > continuous shooting) and for reviewing the pictures.

    -- and for writing movie clips, if your camera has a movie mode.

    > Faster cards may also read into your computer more quickly if you have a
    > USB 2.0 or Firewire reader.

    Especially true. I get over 10MB/s with Sandisk Ultra II and
    their USB2.0 card reader. But Steve's point is a good one --
    it's best to try before you buy if possible, to see how much your
    particular setup will benefit from the faster memory.
    Rick, Mar 16, 2005