    success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
    but couldn't really understand what the
    y were saying . TIA

    PWB, Apr 4, 2008

  2. PWB

    ded Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    news:fnmJj.27704$...
    >I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML signature
    >that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much success can
    >someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page but couldn't
    >really understand what the
    > y were saying . TIA

    It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
    and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients configured
    not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your posts/emails
    won't be received etc
    You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one
    of those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers
    and AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will
    block such content. Read here:

    http://www.zzee.com/email-security/

    http://email.about.com/od/staysecureandprivate/a/webbug_privacy.htm

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/01/do_away_with_html_...

    http://www.webmin.com/security.html

    Don't do HTML.

    ded, Apr 4, 2008

  3. PWB

    catchme Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
    > signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
    > success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
    > but couldn't really understand what the
    > y were saying . TIA

    first you have to typs a sig. to word and save it as html, then you have
    to click the browse button in thunderbird to locate the file you just
    created.
    note- posting html to many groups is a no-no.
    make sure that the group allows it (you'll need to search for the FAQ
    for the respective groups, though many will post the faq on a weekly or
    monthly basis...this one doesnt), before posting.
    saving a sig. in plaintext is better- it allows those who have html
    turned off in their newsreaders to read your sig. file.
    just paste into notebook, and it will save as .txt (TEXT if Macintosh).

    --
    but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist
    whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters

    catchme, Apr 4, 2008
  4. PWB

    PWB Guest

    ded wrote:
    > "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML signature
    >> that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much success can
    >> someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page but couldn't
    >> really understand what the
    >> y were saying . TIA

    > It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
    > and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients configured
    > not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your posts/emails
    > won't be received etc
    > You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one
    > of those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers
    > and AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will
    > block such content. Read here:
    >
    > http://www.zzee.com/email-security/
    >
    > http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    >
    > http://email.about.com/od/staysecureandprivate/a/webbug_privacy.htm
    >
    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/01/do_away_with_html_...
    >
    > http://www.webmin.com/security.html
    >

    > Don't do HTML.

    Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

    PWB, Apr 4, 2008
  5. PWB

    Mike Easter Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
    > signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
    > success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
    > but couldn't really understand what the
    > y were saying . TIA

    > Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

    Definition of a 'signature' in the context of mail and news - a sig
    delimited file or string which may be auto added by the mail or news
    agent.

    It is fundamentally not appropriate to have an autoadded html sig. It
    is not appropriate to add an html sig to news messages and it is not
    appropriate to have the default mode of email to be html. Html mail
    should only be sent to specific recipients who are known to have
    specific mailuser agents configured in a specific manner so the default
    configuration should be plaintext and only an individual particular
    recipient should be emailed in html.

    Tbird, unlike some other MUAs like OE, does not have a feature to be
    able to 'flip' an individual mail message from plaintext to html or vice
    versa. The overall account is configured in preferences, so Tbird's
    overall mail configuration should be plaintext, not html. If you were
    to configure a specifc Tbird account to be used for one specific
    recipient, to send that specific recipient html, the way you would do it
    would be to configure that particular email account to send in html
    instead of plaintext.

    The way Tbird handles sigs is also primitive. The account is configured
    to sigattach or to not sigattach a sigfile. If you configure to attach
    a sigfile to this html sending mail account, the sigfile could be an
    html file which you would create with your favorite html editor.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 4, 2008
  6. PWB wrote:

    >> "PWB" wrote:
    >>> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
    >>> signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had
    >>> much success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla
    >>> help page but couldn't really understand what the y were saying .

    > Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

    What exactly is it you want to place in the signature? A link to your
    web site?

    Have you read this yet? Everything you need to know:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Signatures>

    If all you want is something like the link to your web site, just type
    the URL in the text file used for signatures. Be sure to include the
    dash-dash-space on the first line separately.

    Type the URL as such:
    http://www.example.com/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 4, 2008
  7. PWB wrote:

    > ded wrote:
    >> "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >>> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
    >>> signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
    >>> success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
    >>> but couldn't really understand what the
    >>> y were saying . TIA

    >> It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
    >> and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients
    >> configured not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your
    >> posts/emails won't be received etc
    >> You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one of
    >> those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers and
    >> AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will block
    >> such content. Read here:
    >>
    >> http://www.zzee.com/email-security/
    >>
    >> http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    >>
    >> http://email.about.com/od/staysecureandprivate/a/webbug_privacy.htm
    >>
    >> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/01/do_away_with_html_...
    >>
    >> http://www.webmin.com/security.html
    >>

    >> Don't do HTML.
    >>

    > Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

    Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
    your friends are retarded.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 4, 2008
  8. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >
    >> ded wrote:
    >>> "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >>> It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
    >>> and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients
    >>> configured not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your
    >>> posts/emails won't be received etc
    >>> You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one of
    >>> those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers and
    >>> AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will block
    >>> such content. Read here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.zzee.com/email-security/
    >>>
    >>> http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml
    >>>
    >>> http://email.about.com/od/staysecureandprivate/a/webbug_privacy.htm
    >>>
    >>> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/01/do_away_with_html_...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.webmin.com/security.html
    >>>

    >>> Don't do HTML.
    >>>

    >> Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

    > Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
    > your friends are retarded.

    I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

    PWB, Apr 4, 2008
  9. PWB

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:50:38 +0000, PWB wrote:

    >> Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
    >> your friends are retarded.

    > I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    > word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

    Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A FUCKING MORON"?

    Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a fucking retard then.

    Bugger off.

    Dan C, Apr 4, 2008
  10. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >
    >> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    >> word?

    > Up until fairly recently, the American Association of Mental Retardation
    > was still using the term 'mental retardation' and calling itself by that
    > term which is what /retarded/ is felt to mean. The business about the
    > term being handled pejoratively is another subject by which some forms
    > of political correctness try to be destructive to language and its
    > evolution.
    >
    > The generic term retarded means slowed, delayed, decelerated if you are
    > talking about how something is being processed, which includes mentally.
    >
    > The concept that one should/must use a term like developmentally
    > disabled or 'significantly below normal global intellectual capacity as
    > an adult' to express a concept is silly. The concept that one should
    > use descriptive terms 'carefully' in the presence of those whose
    > sensitivities might be offended is yet another consideration.
    >
    >> I work with disabled people and am one myself

    > We are all 'challenged' to one degree or another. Does that mean we
    > should be pussy-footing around with our language?
    >
    > Sometimes I use terms like stupid and dumb, which dumb has nothing to do
    > with mute.

    I agree with you but there is a context of using the word and the way
    the reply from the poster that originally said it

    (Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A FUCKING MORON"?

    Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a fucking retard then.)

    Bugger off. to me only proves its not worth replying to him or
    retaliating, because I dont think hes using it in the right context or
    replying , with the Queens/Kings english ;-)

    PWB, Apr 5, 2008
  11. PWB wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> PWB wrote:

    >>> Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

    >> Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
    >> your friends are retarded.
    >>

    > I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    > word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

    I know what I meant by it. But I'll PC-ize it to "something challenged"
    for you, to keep it generic and not have to get into a discussion about
    everyone's individual hardships.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008
  12. Mike Easter wrote:

    > We are all 'challenged' to one degree or another. Does that mean we
    > should be pussy-footing around with our language?

    Hey! Right now I'm pussy-challenged, you rotten, sneering Bad Word User,
    you! ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008
  13. Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:50:38 +0000, PWB wrote:
    >
    >>> Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
    >>> your friends are retarded.

    >> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    >> word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

    > Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A FUCKING MORON"?
    >
    > Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a fucking retard then.
    >
    > Bugger off.

    You know, it only hurts you worse when you keep it inside. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008
  14. PWB

    PWB Guest

    PWB, Apr 5, 2008
  15. PWB

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 17:07:50 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    <snip>

    > Actually you said 'retarded' which is a real word with a reasonable
    > meaning, whereas the slang noun term 'retard' is much more pejorative.

    <snip>

    > Dan C has a history/reputation of ad hominem attacks/remarks which cause
    > his posts to disappear from the screens of many newsers who killfile him.

    "Newsers"?

    Is that a real word with reasonable meaning, or a slang noun term?

    Do you use that in a pejorative manner, or are you just attempting to
    exhibit some basic grasp of the English language?

    Just to keep the records straight, since we're apparently doing that...,
    Mike Easter has a history/reputation of butting his nose into
    conversations simply to inject some form of anal-retentiveness or another.
    This causes many Usenet users (!) to killfile him, as well.

    There. Carry on.

    Dan C, Apr 5, 2008

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008
  17. PWB wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> PWB wrote:

    >>> I agree with you but there is a context of using the word and the way
    >>> the reply from the poster that originally said it
    >>>
    >>> (Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A FUCKING MORON"?
    >>>
    >>> Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a fucking retard then.)

    >> I was the "poster that originally said" "retard"; but the two lines you
    >> just repeated were not from me.
    >> Ok sorry then for not reading more carefully

    Why did you just put your one-line reply up there IN MY last reply, so
    that it looks like I wrote that line because it has the two angle-bracket
    quote indicators that the generation/level of my reply rightfully has?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008
  18. PWB

    catchme Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >
    >> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    >> word?

    > Up until fairly recently, the American Association of Mental Retardation
    > was still using the term 'mental retardation' and calling itself by that
    > term which is what /retarded/ is felt to mean. The business about the
    > term being handled pejoratively is another subject by which some forms
    > of political correctness try to be destructive to language and its
    > evolution.
    >
    > The generic term retarded means slowed, delayed, decelerated if you are
    > talking about how something is being processed, which includes mentally.

    retarded is a verb, indicating that something or someone is slowed down,
    held back or impaired, usually by something or someone else.
    a person's vision or hand-eye coordination, may be retarded by drugs or
    alcohol.
    a fire is retarded by firefighting efforts, or extreme weather.
    a person may be retarded by his critics.
    an able person as well as a disabled person, may in a sense be retarded
    by mean-spirited peers.

    catchme, Apr 5, 2008
  19. PWB

    catchme Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:50:38 +0000, PWB wrote:
    >
    >>> Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
    >>> your friends are retarded.

    >> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    >> word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

    > Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A FUCKING MORON"?
    >
    > Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a fucking retard then.
    >
    > Bugger off.

    that was a statement very worthy of you.

    catchme, Apr 5, 2008
  20. catchme wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> PWB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
    >>> word?

    >> Up until fairly recently, the American Association of Mental Retardation
    >> was still using the term 'mental retardation' and calling itself by that
    >> term which is what /retarded/ is felt to mean. The business about the
    >> term being handled pejoratively is another subject by which some forms
    >> of political correctness try to be destructive to language and its
    >> evolution.
    >>
    >> The generic term retarded means slowed, delayed, decelerated if you are
    >> talking about how something is being processed, which includes mentally.
    >>

    > retarded is a verb, indicating that something or someone is slowed down,
    > held back or impaired, usually by something or someone else. a person's
    > vision or hand-eye coordination, may be retarded by drugs or alcohol. a
    > fire is retarded by firefighting efforts, or extreme weather. a person
    > may be retarded by his critics. an able person as well as a disabled
    > person, may in a sense be retarded by mean-spirited peers.

    Except when it's an adjective.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 5, 2008