    ideas on who would have a graphics tablet for a short rental?

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 29, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Matt Silberstein <> wrote:

    > I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
    > capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
    > mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
    > signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
    > and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
    > next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
    > "messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or
    > ideas on who would have a graphics tablet for a short rental?

    Just scan it. Big and messy is good. A perfect copy of your signature
    isn't a good thing to have digitized and public. Make a big signature
    with a felt tip pen, maybe using two lines or artwork. It shouldn't
    look too much like the way you'd sign a document.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Matt Silberstein

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Matt Silberstein <> wrote:

    > I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
    > capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that mask
    > to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the signature.
    > I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one and Kinko's
    > does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the next idea is to
    > sign something large and scan it. But that would be "messier" (I assume).
    > Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or ideas on who would have a
    > graphics tablet for a short rental?

    Write your signature on a piece of paper. Take a picture of it. Voila.
    You're only going to turn it into a mask, so it doesn't need to be that
    good. As someone else mentioned: You don't want it to be easily
    reproducible, either.
    Paul Mitchum, Mar 29, 2005
  4. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:46:47 -0800, in rec.photo.digital , Kevin
    McMurtrie <> in
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Matt Silberstein <> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
    >> capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
    >> mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
    >> signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
    >> and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
    >> next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
    >> "messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or
    >> ideas on who would have a graphics tablet for a short rental?

    >Just scan it. Big and messy is good. A perfect copy of your signature
    >isn't a good thing to have digitized and public. Make a big signature
    >with a felt tip pen, maybe using two lines or artwork. It shouldn't
    >look too much like the way you'd sign a document.

    Once you say it, it makes sense. I don't want a signature, I want some
    art I can superimpose that looks like a signature.

    Thanks.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Matt Silberstein

    Eric Gill Guest

    Matt Silberstein <> wrote in

    > I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
    > capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
    > mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
    > signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
    > and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
    > next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
    > "messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips?

    Make a large signature in black in on a high-white piece of paper. Scan in
    1-bit mode, 1200 dpi. Convert to Grayscale and use the Magic Wand or your
    graphic editor's equivelent to select it. Then copy and paste into your
    desired document and size to taste. Depending on the program, you should be
    able to keep the sig as a layer or make a Library object out of it for easy
    future access.

    This avoids any fringing when dropping on a background other than white and
    makes it easy to change the color to taste. Works to a charm in a page
    layout package like PageMaker, Quark Xpress or Indesign as well.
    Eric Gill, Mar 29, 2005