signal to noise ratio

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gordo Laqua, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Gordo Laqua

    Gordo Laqua Guest

    Hi everyone,

    This group has been inundated with spam and off-topic posts, and
    inappropriate followups lately, as everyone has seen. We also know that
    it seems quite difficult to chase down who it is.

    So here are two suggestions.

    1) dont increase the noise. Dont feed the troll. and if we know how to
    remove RPD from the followup lists for inappropriate posts that do make
    it here, that would help too.

    2) increase the signal. Lets just keep posting and discussing digital
    photos, and keep the group worth reading.

    Maybe with luck, this wanna-be bully will go back to pulling the wings
    off flys, and life will get back to normal around here, whatever normal
    is.

    I am off to post some questions about compact flash cards....

    "I didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques."
    - Bill Gates to Homer Simpson
    Gordo Laqua, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Gordo Laqua

    Stacey Guest

    Gordo Laqua wrote:

    > Maybe with luck, this wanna-be bully will go back to pulling the wings
    > off flys, and life will get back to normal around here, whatever normal
    > is.

    I've seen it before, what these people LIVE for is other people getting
    their panties in a wad over their actions. Yes it's annoying but soon
    enough google will change their system and they'll have to find another way
    to be annoying. Posting here that -you're going to report them to their
    ISP- just brings more kooks here looking for "netkop" groups to flood post
    to. There isn't much you can do other that just post on topic and ignore
    them.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Feb 13, 2005

  3. On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:28:07 -0500, Stacey <> wrote:

    >Gordo Laqua wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe with luck, this wanna-be bully will go back to pulling the wings
    >> off flys, and life will get back to normal around here, whatever normal
    >> is.

    > I've seen it before, what these people LIVE for is other people getting
    >their panties in a wad over their actions. Yes it's annoying but soon
    >enough google will change their system and they'll have to find another way
    >to be annoying. Posting here that -you're going to report them to their
    >ISP- just brings more kooks here looking for "netkop" groups to flood post
    >to. There isn't much you can do other that just post on topic and ignore
    >them.

    Kook? What kook? (As others have suggested, I've simply applied a filter
    to my newsreader; the noise level is straight back to normal).

    --
    Stephen Poley
    Stephen Poley, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Gordo Laqua

    Gordo Laqua Guest

    Rumour has it that on or about 13 Feb 2005, Stephen Poley
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:28:07 -0500, Stacey <> wrote:
    >
    >>Gordo Laqua wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe with luck, this wanna-be bully will go back to pulling the
    >>> wings off flys, and life will get back to normal around here,
    >>> whatever normal is.

    >> I've seen it before, what these people LIVE for is other people
    >> getting
    >>their panties in a wad over their actions. Yes it's annoying but soon
    >>enough google will change their system and they'll have to find
    >>another way to be annoying. Posting here that -you're going to report
    >>them to their ISP- just brings more kooks here looking for "netkop"
    >>groups to flood post to. There isn't much you can do other that just
    >>post on topic and ignore them.

    > Kook? What kook? (As others have suggested, I've simply applied a
    > filter to my newsreader; the noise level is straight back to normal).

    Yes, I have the filters too, but when people feed the trolls, that is
    much harder to filter. So you have the right idea as well, I am just
    promoting increasing the signal as well.

    Thanks everyone.

    Gordo Laqua, Feb 14, 2005