    wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be resolved.

    Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Kewser, Oct 29, 2008

  2. "Kewser" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    > wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    > that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    > resolved.

    Microwave ovens

    Cordless home phones

    Someone nearby getting a "wireless" microwave based Internet service

    Commercial Microwave communication equipment added in the area that passes
    over your house.

    Basically anything that operates between 2 and 5 Gigahertz is a potential
    problem.
    Now, I said "potential",...not absolute.

    Nic in PC or the WAP is dying.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Oct 29, 2008

  3. Hi
    Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
    If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
    change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 29, 2008
  4. Kewser

    Kewser Guest

    Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
    the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
    me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?

    Thanks!

    Kewser, Oct 30, 2008
  5. The disk that came with the router should have a manual on it (most likely a pdf file).

    Richard in AZ, Oct 30, 2008
  6. Kewser

    Lem Guest

    Kewser wrote:
    > Yeah it works fine when its sitting next to the router. I can actually watch
    > the bars disappear as I carry my laptop away from the router. Could you let
    > me know where I should go to change the router's wireless channel?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Try to put the Laptop next to the Router and see if it works better.
    >> If it does, then you have a sudden increase in environmental noise. Try to
    >> change the Wireless channel of the Router to find which works best for you.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Kewser" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My Toshiba laptop (XP) is wirelessly connected to the Dell (XP) in the
    >>> adjacent room, via a Netgear router. My laptop contains a wireless card.
    >>> Distance between them is about 30 feet, with only a wall in between.
    >>>
    >>> The signal has been "Excellent" for years, up until a few days ago, when
    >>> it
    >>> suddenly was receiving very little signal, or no signal at all.
    >>>
    >>> I've already read posts regarding this, and noted that the antenna should
    >>> be
    >>> adjusted. HOWEVER, it has worked for years in its current state, so I
    >>> don't
    >>> believe I should have to change any positioning of antennas or move the
    >>> computers to improve the signal.
    >>>
    >>> Since no external variables have changed to cause the problem, I am
    >>> wondering if anyone knows of any internal problems or signal interference
    >>> that are known to cause these types of issues, and how they can be
    >>> resolved.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks to anyone who can help.

    Once you find the manual and learn how to change channels, choose either
    channel 1, channel 6, or channel 11. For your first try, pick the one
    of these three that is farthest away from the currently set channel.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 30, 2008
  7. Kewser

    Kewser Guest

    Changing the router's channel seems to have worked.

    Thanks to all!
    Kewser, Nov 2, 2008