    Is there any way that i can communicate with card or to some driver and find
    out the signal strength?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated?

    =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=, Sep 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    You can do that using AT commands to the modem:

    AT+CSQ

    - oututs signal strength _and_ quality (the two are different!). I think the
    values are 0 to 31 (best). Search for "at+csq" for more details.

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    S. Pidgorny, Sep 6, 2006

  3. Thanks for quick reply.

    How reliable is it? would it work for GPRS and Wireless? Can i program it in
    ..net/vc++?

    Can i talk to modem using NDIS?

    =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=, Sep 6, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    It is as reliable as the only information available from the modem. It's
    text-based communication with com port you can program it using any
    language, including Windows batch files (methinks). But you cannot use
    NDIS - this is below on the OSI model.

    S. Pidgorny, Sep 7, 2006
  5. If i am connected to modem and then try to issue signal command then its
    returning status "error"

    - Can i issue all AT commands once modem is already in use?

    How windows getting this status in "Windows Zero Configuration" service? I
    think it can retreive information from a device if its on iEEE 8.2.11
    standard.. Would we be able to get signal strength, provider(GSM/GPRS)
    information as well?

    The easiest way could be if Sony is exposing API for that device, which we
    are trying to get .. .

    Any other way out instead of AT?

    Thanks for all your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=, Sep 7, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    I don't know how to use AT commands when modem session is connected.
    Possibly you cannot.
    WZC signal strength indication is different from GSM - as you rightly
    pointed, the standards are different, so are Windows protocol stacks. As I
    mentioned, the GSM/GPRS card is a serial port modem from Windows
    perspective.
    Using vendor's proprietary APIs is a ticket to trouble.

    S. Pidgorny, Sep 10, 2006
  7. AT command issue is related with "Port". WE can't access the same port if its
    already being used. If there is way to do that then there is no problem.

    Is there any way if i can intercept their default application "Wireless
    Manager" data; some hooking ..? Like i can see their window handle, actual
    message signature using spy++; can i use this handle/message to get my
    required data?

    or i may communicate with driver at user/kernal mode?

    =?Utf-8?B?SXNodGlhcQ==?=, Sep 10, 2006