    My router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs about 15 metres apart
    yet the signal from my belkin router is always low or very low.

    Any ideas????

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm5E?=, Jan 29, 2007

  2. BnD <> wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > My router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs about 15 metres apart
    > yet the signal from my belkin router is always low or very low.
    >
    > Any ideas????

    Lay the antenna down at an angel. The signal is strongest in the plane
    at right angels to where the antenna is pointing.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Jan 29, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qm5E?=

    Jim Guest

    "BnD" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > My router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs about 15 metres apart
    > yet the signal from my belkin router is always low or very low.
    >
    > Any ideas????

    You are lucky to have any signal at that distance. You can adjust the
    angle of the antenna on the router, and such an adjustment has a chance of
    increasing the signal strength. Perhaps a repeater would help.
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 29, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Qm5E?=

    Guest

    On 29-Jan-2007, (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote:

    > > My router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs about 15 metres apart
    > > yet the signal from my belkin router is always low or very low.
    > >
    > > Any ideas????

    > Lay the antenna down at an angel. The signal is strongest in the plane
    > at right angels to where the antenna is pointing.

    Depends on whether you can orient the receiving antenna. No
    problem with a USB wireless adapter just move it around for best signal,
    or if needs be, use a simple (kitchen) aluminium foil reflector.

    Some antennas are shielded by the case with fewer options
    to move them around for best signal.

    , Jan 29, 2007
  5. Hi
    15 Meters (49') with obstructions might be the edge of the Wireless as is.
    May be this can Help.
    Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.htm
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 29, 2007
  6. <> wrote:

    > On 29-Jan-2007, (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote:
    >
    > > > My router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs about 15 metres
    > > > apart yet the signal from my belkin router is always low or very low.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas????

    > > Lay the antenna down at an angel. The signal is strongest in the plane
    > > at right angels to where the antenna is pointing.

    > Depends on whether you can orient the receiving antenna. No problem with a
    > USB wireless adapter just move it around for best signal, or if needs be,
    > use a simple (kitchen) aluminium foil reflector.
    >
    > Some antennas are shielded by the case with fewer options to move them
    > around for best signal.

    You can always place the router on a sloping surface.

    If you mean reception from the computer, setting the router's antenna at
    the best angle will improve reception as well.

    Using a reflector as well will improve both transmission and reception
    even more at the router.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Jack (MVP-Networking). <> wrote:

    > "Axel Hammerschmidt" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > BnD <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> My router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs about 15 metres
    > >> apart yet the signal from my belkin router is always low or very low.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas????

    > > Lay the antenna down at an angel. The signal is strongest in the plane
    > > at right angels to where the antenna is pointing.

    > Hi
    > 15 Meters (49') with obstructions might be the edge of the Wireless as is.
    > May be this can Help.

    It depends. I set up an AP (a D-Link DWL-G700AP) 14.5 meters away 80
    centimeters above the floor in our one story (brick) house and have my
    laptop (with a Belkin F5D7010 PC Card) on a desk at about the same hight
    at the other end. There are 3 walls, a bookshelf and a cubbard filled
    with clothes in between. The signalstrength in the AP is turned up as
    far as it will go. The speed in the AP is turned down to 2 Mbps and Long
    preamble.

    The laptop gets a decent signal from the AP with the PC Card.

    > Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.htm

    "Nor Found"

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Feb 4, 2007