Signal Strength Conflict

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Teddy, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Teddy

    Teddy Guest

    Hi all,

    My network started acting up recently. I've since completely repaired it,
    but in doing so I noticed something that's been really bothering me.

    When I take a look at the "status" of my wireless connection, the signal
    strength shows all of the green bars highlighted - which makes sense,
    because my wireless router is in the same room and I've purchased a corded
    antenna for my PCI adapter that sits on top of my monitor!

    In any case, as soon as I click "view wireless networks," it takes me to the
    window that displays all the wireless networks. My network is listed with
    either one green bar or none at all, while I'm seeing neighbor's networks
    appear at full strength!

    Refreshing the list makes no difference. My network always comes up with
    the signal strength looking horrible, while the same network's status page
    shows the signal strength at full.

    Why is this? Like I said, I've fixed the network, so it's probably nothing
    I should worry about, but it bugs the crap outta me!

    Thanks for any help you can provide...

    Teddy
    Teddy, Nov 11, 2004

  2. So as you see, you aren't done with the network setup yet and still need to
    worry.
    Maybe there is interference from a 2.4 ghz phone, microwave etc.
    Try to move your antenna or change channel.

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Teddy

    Teddy Guest

    So are you saying it IS a problem? We have one wireless phone and a
    microwave, but they're both upstairs in the kitchen. The connection seems
    to be working fine. So should I believe the 'status' window or the
    'available networks' window? What do you mean by "network setup?"

    Teddy

    Teddy, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Teddy

    Teddy Guest

    Okay, now I'm confirming it. It IS a problem. If I run a long Ethernet
    cable from my router to my computer, everything works great. That's as
    opposed to the wireless connection, which is just spotty. It may or may not
    find websites at all, it may or may not be really slow. Funny thing,
    though, is that Trillian NEVER gets disconnected. So I've double checked
    all of the wireless router and wireless adaptor settings - everything looks
    right, except for that one thing. Under "connection status," my wireless
    connection has full signal strength. Under "view available wireless
    networks" it has no strength at all, or maybe one bar - while my neighbors'
    networks show up at full strength. The router is about 10 feet away across
    the room.

    Thanks for any help! Below are more details...

    Teddy

    Teddy, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Teddy

    Teddy Guest

    In the off chance that someone is following this thread (unlikely judging by
    the response level) I want to post the solution I found in case it helps
    others.

    The scenario: I allowed windows to find and install the drivers for my
    D-Link DWL-520+ wireless adapter, and used windows to manage the connection.
    Everything was... weird. The internet worked for the most part, messengers
    ALWAYS stayed connected, but sometimes it just wouldn't go to some sites. I
    could visit Google but not msn... or vice versa... or whatever. Just very
    spotty performance. To further confuse things, the signal strength under
    "connection status," was full, while under "view available wireless
    networks" it had no strength at all, or maybe one bar, no matter how many
    times I fiddled with the antenna and hit "refresh." The router is about 10
    feet away across the room, yet my neighbors' networks would show up with
    higher strengths!

    The solution: I unchecked "let windows manage my wireless network" and went
    to D-link to download their wireless manager for that adapter. Now
    everything works great. <sigh> I hate running yet another program in the
    tray, it drives me nuts, but at least it works. People had been telling me
    to do that for a while, but I had to go and trust Microsoft. :(

    Hope this helps someone else.

    Teddy

    Teddy, Nov 23, 2004