    advice (in layman's terms) on how to resolve this I would be very grateful.

    Thanks
    Vicky
    Vicjack, Feb 19, 2008

  2. "Vicjack" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > My laptop is able to pick up a brilliant signal from my partners Belkin
    > 2.4Ghz. However it often shows limited or no connectivity. When it does
    > connect (automatically as and when it pleases) the connection can only

    last a
    > few minutes. On the other hand my partner's laptop shows low signal

    strength
    > yet can maintain connectivity.
    >
    > I am not particularly great with computers so if someone can offer me any
    > advice (in layman's terms) on how to resolve this I would be very

    grateful.

    Try another channel (e.g. channel 11 instead of default 6).
    Your hardware documentation ought to point out which
    menus take you to channel selection.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    Don Phillipson, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Which OS are you using? If the security is not issue here, make sure you
    have latest driver for the wireless.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 19, 2008
  4. Vicjack

    Lem Guest

    Vicjack wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > My laptop is able to pick up a brilliant signal from my partners Belkin
    > 2.4Ghz. However it often shows limited or no connectivity. When it does
    > connect (automatically as and when it pleases) the connection can only last a
    > few minutes. On the other hand my partner's laptop shows low signal strength
    > yet can maintain connectivity.
    >
    > I am not particularly great with computers so if someone can offer me any
    > advice (in layman's terms) on how to resolve this I would be very grateful.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vicky

    When you do connect, can you actually *use* the connection to do
    anything, such as get to the Internet? If not, one possibility is that
    you are not properly authenticating to the router, either because you
    don't have the correct password or because of some other security filter
    on the router.

    Where is the router (physically) in relation to the two laptops?
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Feb 20, 2008
  5. Vicjack

    Vicjack Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for the replies. When the laptop does connect I can browse the
    internet just fine so I guess there are no problems with the security
    settings. If I am in the same room as the router I can get an excellent
    signal and can connect without breaking the connection. If I then leave the
    room it disconnects. My partners laptop is used on the 3rd floor and as
    mentioned he can connect for as long as he likes despite having low signal.

    I am trying to ascertain whether the router is not strong enough for my
    laptop (although it shows excellent signal) or whether there is something I
    can do to my laptop or the router to improve connectivity (rather than signal
    strength).

    Any ideas? I am at a loss.

    Thanks
    Vicky

    Vicjack, Feb 24, 2008
  6. Vicjack

    Vicjack Guest

    Many thanks for the reply. Sorry for my ignorance but what is OS (operating
    system?). When the laptop does connect (if I am in the same room as the
    browser) I can use the internet ok so I guess there are no problems with
    security settings. The problems is when I leave the room.

    I am trying to work out why when I leave the room the signal can still be
    excellent but I lose connectivity.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Vicjack, Feb 24, 2008
  7. Vicjack

    Lem Guest

    Vicjack wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for the replies. When the laptop does connect I can browse the
    > internet just fine so I guess there are no problems with the security
    > settings. If I am in the same room as the router I can get an excellent
    > signal and can connect without breaking the connection. If I then leave the
    > room it disconnects. My partners laptop is used on the 3rd floor and as
    > mentioned he can connect for as long as he likes despite having low signal.
    >
    > I am trying to ascertain whether the router is not strong enough for my
    > laptop (although it shows excellent signal) or whether there is something I
    > can do to my laptop or the router to improve connectivity (rather than signal
    > strength).
    >
    > Any ideas? I am at a loss.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vicky
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Vicjack wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> My laptop is able to pick up a brilliant signal from my partners Belkin
    >>> 2.4Ghz. However it often shows limited or no connectivity. When it does
    >>> connect (automatically as and when it pleases) the connection can only last a
    >>> few minutes. On the other hand my partner's laptop shows low signal strength
    >>> yet can maintain connectivity.
    >>>
    >>> I am not particularly great with computers so if someone can offer me any
    >>> advice (in layman's terms) on how to resolve this I would be very grateful.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Vicky

    >> When you do connect, can you actually *use* the connection to do
    >> anything, such as get to the Internet? If not, one possibility is that
    >> you are not properly authenticating to the router, either because you
    >> don't have the correct password or because of some other security filter
    >> on the router.
    >>
    >> Where is the router (physically) in relation to the two laptops?
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    It may just be that the floors are more "transparent" to radio signals
    than the walls. It depends on the building construction.

    Unfortunately, when Windows reports an "excellent" signal, it doesn't
    necessarily mean that you are receiving an excellent signal from the
    place you think you're receiving it from. The reported signal strength
    may be a result of a combination of the signal from the router plus
    signals from nearby sources of radio interference on frequencies close
    to that used by the router. Such interference can be caused by other
    WiFi devices (e.g., someone else's network); cordless telephones (2.5GHz
    models); baby monitors or similar wireless communication units; or
    microwave ovens. I don't know which model router you have, but take a
    look at pages 2-4 of this manual for the Belkin F5D7230 Wireless G
    router:
    http://belkin.httpsvc.vitalstreamcd...m_com/support/dl/p74559-b_f5d7230-4v7_man.pdf

    One thing you could do is to try changing the radio channel used by the
    router. See this Belkin note:
    http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7230-4&aid=2437&scid=221

    In addition, if you are using a Belkin wireless G router and both you
    and your partner have wireless G adapters, set the router's wireless
    mode to "G only" rather than "G and B." This change probably won't help
    much, if at all, but it shouldn't hurt.

    If that doesn't help, there may be something you can do with your wifi
    adapter. If you are using a laptop with built-in wifi, what make and
    model? If you are using an external wifi adapter, what make and model?

    Unfortunately, AFAIK, you can't easily upgrade the antenna on Belkin
    wifi routers.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Feb 24, 2008