Sigma's SD14 Postponed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kinon O'Cann, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Kinon O'Cann

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 7, 2006

  2. Kinon O'Cann

    Scott W Guest

    Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    >
    > No comment...

    They no doubt saw how much Leica got beat up for releasing a camera
    with bugs and realize that it is really a bad idea.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 7, 2006

  3. Kinon O'Cann

    Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    > >
    > > No comment...

    > They no doubt saw how much Leica got beat up for releasing a camera
    > with bugs and realize that it is really a bad idea.
    >
    > Scott

    and sony
    , Dec 7, 2006
  4. In article <vlUdh.34$%>, Kinon O'Cann
    <> wrote:

    > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.

    And the world is a better place...
    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Kinon O'Cann

    Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <vlUdh.34$%>, Kinon O'Cann
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.

    > And the world is a better place...

    Did you get round to actually buy a digital camera yet Randall?
    , Dec 7, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Did you get round to actually buy a digital camera yet Randall?

    I've had one for over three years - one that will easily outperform any
    Sigma model.
    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 7, 2006
  7. Kinon O'Cann

    This old Bob Guest

    "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message
    > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    >
    > No comment...

    You have to applaud them for stopping to get it right. If they screw up this
    release it could be their last.
    This old Bob, Dec 7, 2006
  8. Kinon O'Cann

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    This old Bob wrote:
    > "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message
    > > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    > >
    > > No comment...

    > You have to applaud them for stopping to get it right. If they screw up this
    > release it could be their last.

    Sigma is the largest maker of lenses in the world.

    I think they'd survive.
    Dan Sullivan, Dec 7, 2006
  9. Kinon O'Cann

    Scott W Guest

    Dan Sullivan wrote:
    > This old Bob wrote:
    > > "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message
    > > > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > > > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    > > >
    > > > No comment...

    > > You have to applaud them for stopping to get it right. If they screw up this
    > > release it could be their last.

    > Sigma is the largest maker of lenses in the world.
    >
    > I think they'd survive.

    Sure Sigma will survive, but their digital camera group maybe not so
    much.
    Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
    how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 7, 2006
  10. Kinon O'Cann

    Scott W Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Did you get round to actually buy a digital camera yet Randall?

    > I've had one for over three years - one that will easily outperform any
    > Sigma model.

    Of course that is not setting the bar very high :)

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 7, 2006
  11. Kinon O'Cann

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Dec 7, 2006
  12. Kinon O'Cann

    Scott W Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    > >
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    > >
    > > No comment...

    > Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

    Unlike Leica, Sigma did not ship faulty cameras to their customers. If
    you received an M8 after paying $5,000 you might want to know just what
    is wrong with it and what they are doing to fix it. A company that is
    not shipping a product has no real need to let the public know the
    details of the problems they are having, in fact it would be pretty
    dumb to do so.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 7, 2006
  13. Kinon O'Cann

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    >> For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    >> glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    >>
    >> No comment...

    > Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

    To Sigma's credit, they chose not to ship a defective product, unlike Leica.
    Leica screwed the pooch on the M8, no question.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 7, 2006
  14. Kinon O'Cann

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Scott
    W says...

    > Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
    > how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

    Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
    least 8-10 MP?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Dec 7, 2006
  15. Kinon O'Cann

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 19:39:26 +0100, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Scott
    >W says...
    >
    >> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
    >> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

    >Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
    >least 8-10 MP?

    Probably because they are committed to using Foveon sensors.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Dec 7, 2006
  16. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you get round to actually buy a digital camera yet Randall?

    > I've had one for over three years - one that will easily outperform any
    > Sigma model.

    I doubt your 10D will outperform a Sigma SD10. You really do want the SD14,
    admit it :)
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 8, 2006
  17. "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Scott
    > W says...
    >
    >> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
    >> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

    > Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
    > least 8-10 MP?

    Because the Foveon 3.4 MP performs as well as a 6 MP Bayer. The SD14
    performs as well as a 10 MP Bayer. You can't compare a Bayer MP count to a
    Foveon MPcount.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 8, 2006
  18. Kinon O'Cann

    Rich Guest

    Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    > >> For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
    > >> glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06120702sigmasd14postponed.asp
    > >>
    > >> No comment...

    > > Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

    > To Sigma's credit, they chose not to ship a defective product, unlike Leica.
    > Leica screwed the pooch on the M8, no question.

    But didn't the released Sigma SD9 and 10 have colour and other problems
    at least as bad as Leica? There was no solution for them that I recall.
    Rich, Dec 8, 2006
  19. Kinon O'Cann

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
    >> "Rich" <> wrote in message

    >> > Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

    >> To Sigma's credit, they chose not to ship a defective product, unlike
    >> Leica.
    >> Leica screwed the pooch on the M8, no question.
    >>

    > But didn't the released Sigma SD9 and 10 have colour and other problems
    > at least as bad as Leica? There was no solution for them that I recall.

    Honestly, I'm not sure if the SD9 and SD10 were defective, or just bad
    cameras. But Leica *knew* that there were issues with their $5K M8, and
    shipped anyway. For any company, that's unforgiveable. For Leica, well,
    their reputation isn't shot, but it took a huge hit with that one.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 8, 2006
  20. Kinon O'Cann

    nospam Guest

    In article <Q22eh.85$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <> wrote:

    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, Scott
    > > W says...
    > >
    > >> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
    > >> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

    > > Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
    > > least 8-10 MP?

    > Because the Foveon 3.4 MP performs as well as a 6 MP Bayer.

    not in objective tests it doesn't. the sd9/10 'look' as good, but the
    'detail' is mainly due to the lack of an anti-alias filter and
    sharpening in the raw processor than any difference in the sensor.

    > The SD14
    > performs as well as a 10 MP Bayer.

    neat. the camera won't ship for thre months and you already know how
    well it will work.

    the sd-14 also costs twice what the 10mp bayer cameras do. what
    exactly is the motivation to spend more money and obtain similar
    results? not to mention that the competition excels in other ways,
    such as in-body stabilization, more capable auto-focus, etc.

    > You can't compare a Bayer MP count to a
    > Foveon MPcount.

    of course you can.
    nospam, Dec 8, 2006