    the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    body.

    http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    RichA, May 23, 2011

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/23/2011 4:39 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:51:55 -0700 (PDT), RichA<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    >> for polycarbonate scrap?

    > Assuming of course that that is what it actually is. But even then if
    > it has been recycled by blending with maleic anhydride grafted ABS you
    > end up with a vastly superior material. You could probably use it to
    > beat a metal-frame camera to death.
    >
    >> This camera really is an inigma, Sigma apparently knowing they won't
    >> sell huge numbers of any of their offerings so the decided to see if
    >> the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    >> body.
    >>
    >> http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    i don't understand a reference to a rapid method of decoding.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 24, 2011

  3. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    > for polycarbonate scrap?
    > This camera really is an inigma, Sigma apparently knowing they won't
    > sell huge numbers of any of their offerings so the decided to see if
    > the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    > body.
    >
    > http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    I don't care what it's made of. Sigma and their Foveon technology are
    both crap.

    Mr. Strat, May 24, 2011
  4. "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > Eric Stevens <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:51:55 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    >>>for polycarbonate scrap?

    >> Assuming of course that that is what it actually is. But even then if
    >> it has been recycled by blending with maleic anhydride grafted ABS you
    >> end up with a vastly superior material. You could probably use it to
    >> beat a metal-frame camera to death.

    > Nonsense. Which is why all pro cameras (and semi-pro) are made of metal.

    You mean like my Canon 7D? The Sigma SD1 is constructed the same way, plastic
    over a magnesium shell.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, May 24, 2011
  5. RichA

    John A. Guest

    wrote:

    >I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    >for polycarbonate scrap?
    >This camera really is an inigma, Sigma apparently knowing they won't
    >sell huge numbers of any of their offerings so the decided to see if
    >the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    >body.
    >
    >http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    And *all* the manufacturers are making their cameras out of supernova
    remnants. Why can't any of them use new materials?

    John A., May 24, 2011
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/24/2011 8:48 AM, John A. wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:51:55 -0700 (PDT), RichA<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    >> for polycarbonate scrap?
    >> This camera really is an inigma, Sigma apparently knowing they won't
    >> sell huge numbers of any of their offerings so the decided to see if
    >> the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    >> body.
    >>
    >> http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    > And *all* the manufacturers are making their cameras out of supernova
    > remnants. Why can't any of them use new materials?

    These are too expensive. ;-)
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ9cGVaxOes>

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 24, 2011
  7. RichA

    ASCII Guest

    John A. wrote:

    >And *all* the manufacturers are making their cameras out of supernova
    >remnants. Why can't any of them use new materials?

    Like maybe synthesize component materials in the same 'cold-fusion' reactor
    used to power the manufacturing plant?
    But then the provenance of the contents would still trace back to some
    supernova event, unless they used pure big bang hydrogen.

    ASCII, May 24, 2011
  8. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:45:08 -0700, Doug Bashford <>
    wrote:

    >boohoo booo hooo!
    >

    >about: Re: Sigma's $9700 APS camera's body is plastic,
    >PLASIC!!!;
    >On Mon, Rich wrote:
    >> Eric Stevens wrote:

    > "P.C.?" Don't only P.C. people say P.C.?
    >...like FoxLimbaugh&Co?
    >Cuz it's more PC (manly) than saying "polite?"
    >
    >It's not manly to be polite these days, right?
    >In fact, even saying "polite" is not PC in that crowd.
    >

    >> > Assuming of course that that is what it actually is. But even then if
    >> > it has been recycled by blending with maleic anhydride grafted ABS you
    >> > end up with a vastly superior material. You could probably use it to
    >> > beat a metal-frame camera to death.

    >> Nonsense. Which is why all pro cameras
    >> (and semi-pro) are made of metal.

    >Do tell, why do the hottest selling pocket
    >pistols have plastic frames? Such as the
    >Ruger LCP .380 and the Kel-Tec P3AT? ...long list....
    >Ever heard of Glocks? How about Colts?
    >Those are not for hunting or plinking.
    >They are for saving and killing people.
    >"Self-defense." CCWs to be specific.
    >
    >Perhaps mirror-bounce is worse than
    >hurling lead to near the speed of sound?
    >Or perhaps grabbing that shot with your
    >digicam is more critical than with your
    >weapon in a dark alley?

    In a dark alley I'd be more concerned with the sensor's high-ISO noise
    than the composition of the body.

    John A., May 25, 2011
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 24, 9:42 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:45:08 -0700, Doug Bashford <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >boohoo booo hooo!

    > >about: Re: Sigma's $9700 APS camera's body is plastic,
    > >PLASIC!!!;

    > > "P.C.?"  Don't only P.C. people say P.C.?
    > >...like FoxLimbaugh&Co?
    > >Cuz it's more PC (manly) than saying "polite?"

    > >It's not manly to be polite these days, right?
    > >In fact, even saying "polite" is not PC in that crowd.

    > >> Nonsense.  Which is why all pro cameras
    > >> (and semi-pro) are made of metal.

    > >Do tell, why do the hottest selling pocket
    > >pistols have plastic frames?  Such as the
    > >Ruger LCP .380 and the Kel-Tec P3AT?  ...long list....
    > >Ever heard of Glocks? How about Colts?
    > >Those are not for hunting or plinking.
    > >They are for saving and killing people.
    > >"Self-defense."   CCWs to be specific.

    > >Perhaps mirror-bounce is worse than
    > >hurling lead to near the speed of sound?
    > >Or perhaps grabbing that shot with your
    > >digicam is more critical than with your
    > >weapon in a dark alley?

    > In a dark alley I'd be more concerned with the sensor's high-ISO noise
    > than the composition of the body.

    And most are concerned about paying $9700 for a camera that has a body
    like a D3100.

    RichA, May 25, 2011
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 24, 5:45 pm, Doug Bashford <> wrote:
    > boohoo booo hooo!
    >
    > about: Re: Sigma's $9700 APS camera's body is plastic,
    > PLASIC!!!;
    >
    > On Mon, Rich wrote:
    > > Eric Stevens wrote:

    >  "P.C.?"  Don't only P.C. people say P.C.?
    > ...like FoxLimbaugh&Co?
    > Cuz it's more PC (manly) than saying "polite?"
    >
    > It's not manly to be polite these days, right?
    > In fact, even saying "polite" is not PC in that crowd.
    >

    > > > Assuming of course that that is what it actually is. But even then if
    > > > it has been recycled by blending with maleic anhydride grafted ABS you
    > > > end up with a vastly superior material. You could probably use it to
    > > > beat a metal-frame camera to death.

    > > Nonsense.  Which is why all pro cameras
    > > (and semi-pro) are made of metal.

    > Do tell, why do the hottest selling pocket
    > pistols have plastic frames?  Such as the
    > Ruger LCP .380 and the Kel-Tec P3AT?  .

    Because it is MUCH cheaper to make them than machining metal
    components and they are easier to pass through metal detectors. Also,
    the components subjected to any kind of stress ARE ALL METAL.

    RichA, May 25, 2011
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 24, 4:22 pm, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2011 19:05:57 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > >Eric Stevens <> wrote in

    > >> Assuming of course that that is what it actually is. But even then if
    > >> it has been recycled by blending with maleic anhydride grafted ABS you
    > >> end up with a vastly superior material. You could probably use it to
    > >> beat a metal-frame camera to death.

    > >Nonsense.  Which is why all pro cameras (and semi-pro) are made of metal.

    > Its not nonsense. Polycarbonate is a seriously tough material and the
    > recycled material I described is even tougher.
    >
    > Have you not seen the advertisments for polycarbonate windows where
    > the window could bot be broken by a sledge hammer? How about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzyULQPACYQ
    >
    > How long since anyone has had to replace a headlight lens broken by a
    > flying stone? I know its nearly 20 years in my case. In the same
    > period I have several times had the dents and chips in the hood
    > repaired.

    You mean the $5 glass headlights? A Cadillac plastic headlight cover
    is about $200 to replace.

    RichA, May 25, 2011
  12. RichA

    shiva das Guest

    In article <>,
    Doug Bashford <> wrote:

    > boohoo booo hooo!
    >

    > about: Re: Sigma's $9700 APS camera's body is plastic,
    > PLASIC!!!;
    > On Mon, Rich wrote:
    > > Eric Stevens wrote:

    > "P.C.?" Don't only P.C. people say P.C.?
    > ...like FoxLimbaugh&Co?
    > Cuz it's more PC (manly) than saying "polite?"
    >
    > It's not manly to be polite these days, right?
    > In fact, even saying "polite" is not PC in that crowd.
    >

    > > > Assuming of course that that is what it actually is. But even then if
    > > > it has been recycled by blending with maleic anhydride grafted ABS you
    > > > end up with a vastly superior material. You could probably use it to
    > > > beat a metal-frame camera to death.

    > > Nonsense. Which is why all pro cameras
    > > (and semi-pro) are made of metal.

    > Do tell, why do the hottest selling pocket
    > pistols have plastic frames? Such as the
    > Ruger LCP .380 and the Kel-Tec P3AT? ...long list....
    > Ever heard of Glocks? How about Colts?
    > Those are not for hunting or plinking.
    > They are for saving and killing people.
    > "Self-defense." CCWs to be specific.
    >
    > Perhaps mirror-bounce is worse than
    > hurling lead to near the speed of sound?
    > Or perhaps grabbing that shot with your
    > digicam is more critical than with your
    > weapon in a dark alley?

    I think you mean _faster_ than the speed of sound (most center fire ammo
    breaks the sound barrier unless it is special sub-sonic rounds meant for
    use with a suppressor):

    speed of sound at sea level = 340.29 m/s = Mach 1

    ..380 auto: 380 MagSafe 380+ P+ Max, 52 grain, muzzle velocity 1,720 fps
    / 525.256 m/s = Mach 1.54

    9mm Parabellum: 9mm +p MG JHP, 115 grain, muzzle velocity 1,415 fps /
    431.292 m/s = Mach 1.267

    shiva das, May 25, 2011
  13. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    On May 24, 9:42 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:45:08 -0700, Doug Bashford <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >And most are concerned about paying $9700 for a camera that has a body
    >like a D3100.

    The D3100 has a magnesium skeleton?

    Pete Stavrakoglou, May 25, 2011
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/24/2011 11:41 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On May 24, 9:42 pm, John A.<> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:45:08 -0700, Doug Bashford<>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> boohoo booo hooo!

    >>> about: Re: Sigma's $9700 APS camera's body is plastic,
    >>> PLASIC!!!;

    >>> "P.C.?" Don't only P.C. people say P.C.?
    >>> ...like FoxLimbaugh&Co?
    >>> Cuz it's more PC (manly) than saying "polite?"

    >>> It's not manly to be polite these days, right?
    >>> In fact, even saying "polite" is not PC in that crowd.

    >>> Do tell, why do the hottest selling pocket
    >>> pistols have plastic frames? Such as the
    >>> Ruger LCP .380 and the Kel-Tec P3AT? ...long list....
    >>> Ever heard of Glocks? How about Colts?
    >>> Those are not for hunting or plinking.
    >>> They are for saving and killing people.
    >>> "Self-defense." CCWs to be specific.

    >>> Perhaps mirror-bounce is worse than
    >>> hurling lead to near the speed of sound?
    >>> Or perhaps grabbing that shot with your
    >>> digicam is more critical than with your
    >>> weapon in a dark alley?

    >> In a dark alley I'd be more concerned with the sensor's high-ISO noise
    >> than the composition of the body.

    > And most are concerned about paying $9700 for a camera that has a body
    > like a D3100.

    then don't buy one.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 25, 2011
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/25/2011 6:27 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:44:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA<>
    > wrote:

    >>> Its not nonsense. Polycarbonate is a seriously tough material and the
    >>> recycled material I described is even tougher.
    >>>
    >>> Have you not seen the advertisments for polycarbonate windows where
    >>> the window could bot be broken by a sledge hammer? How about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzyULQPACYQ
    >>>
    >>> How long since anyone has had to replace a headlight lens broken by a
    >>> flying stone? I know its nearly 20 years in my case. In the same
    >>> period I have several times had the dents and chips in the hood
    >>> repaired.

    >> You mean the $5 glass headlights? A Cadillac plastic headlight cover
    >> is about $200 to replace.

    > No, I mean the molded polycarbonate headlights which these days are
    > just about standard on all vehicles, including Cadillacs.

    Rich would rather get stuck at night, without headlights. that is, if
    his mother let him out at night.
    Hmmn Maybe that's the reason he has so much time on his hands.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 25, 2011
  16. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    > for polycarbonate scrap?
    > This camera really is an inigma, Sigma apparently knowing they won't
    > sell huge numbers of any of their offerings so the decided to see if
    > the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    > body.
    >
    > http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    I'm unfamiliar, with either "PLASIC" or "inigma" (and yet, I >do<
    know that you need an "inema")!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 27, 2011
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/26/2011 7:20 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >>
    >> I love how Dpreview refers to it as "resin." Is that their P.C. term
    >> for polycarbonate scrap?
    >> This camera really is an inigma, Sigma apparently knowing they won't
    >> sell huge numbers of any of their offerings so the decided to see if
    >> the could recoup R&D costs at least by vastly over-charging for the
    >> body.
    >>
    >> http://dpreview.com/previews/sigmasd1/

    > I'm unfamiliar, with either "PLASIC" or "inigma" (and yet, I>do<
    > know that you need an "inema")!

    An oral one that would not be suitable as a colonoscopy preparation is
    needed.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 27, 2011