    Sf Guest

    What happened to Sigma this year at the PMA show, NO new cameras, no 6 meg
    x 3 pixel chips. DAM
    Sf, Feb 16, 2004

  2. "Sf" <> wrote in news:w68Yb.334973$na.493476@attbi_s04:

    > What happened to Sigma this year at the PMA show, NO new cameras, no 6
    > meg
    > x 3 pixel chips. DAM

    This year?

    Sigma has made one (error two, but they are nearly identical)
    digital camears ever. There has not been any news from Sigma
    all that often. The more devoted Sigma fans say that this is
    a good sign - it was perfect at the firts try - no news is
    good news. Weeeeell - I would not go that far ...

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Sf

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > "Sf" <> wrote in news:w68Yb.334973$na.493476@attbi_s04:
    >
    > > What happened to Sigma this year at the PMA show, NO new cameras, no 6
    > > meg
    > > x 3 pixel chips. DAM

    > This year?
    >
    > Sigma has made one (error two, but they are nearly identical)
    > digital camears ever. There has not been any news from Sigma
    > all that often. The more devoted Sigma fans say that this is
    > a good sign - it was perfect at the firts try - no news is
    > good news. Weeeeell - I would not go that far ...

    Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?

    I heard they make more lenses than Canon.

    If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this year.

    And a new DSLR.

    Go take some picts.
    Dan Sullivan, Feb 16, 2004
  4. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in news:na9Yb.14068
    $:

    > Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    >
    > I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this

    year.

    The original poster asked about cameras and megapixels.
    So .. I answered to that. I have not the slightest knowledge
    if Sigma showed their new lenses at PMA. Maybe they did.

    > And a new DSLR.

    The SD10? New? It looks like a patch to SD9 to me.
    Same camera with some improvements. Milages may differ
    though.

    > Go take some picts.

    Good advice. You too :)

    Nice weather and rather nice snow landscapes in Stockholm
    right now. Could be possible to get some nice ones.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Feb 16, 2004
  5. On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:50:43 GMT, "Dan Sullivan"
    <> wrote:

    >"Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sf" <> wrote in news:w68Yb.334973$na.493476@attbi_s04:
    >>
    >> > What happened to Sigma this year at the PMA show, NO new cameras, no 6
    >> > meg
    >> > x 3 pixel chips. DAM

    >> This year?
    >>
    >> Sigma has made one (error two, but they are nearly identical)
    >> digital camears ever. There has not been any news from Sigma
    >> all that often. The more devoted Sigma fans say that this is
    >> a good sign - it was perfect at the firts try - no news is
    >> good news. Weeeeell - I would not go that far ...

    >Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    >
    >I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    >
    >If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this year.
    >
    >And a new DSLR.

    And in all those lenses, even for their new DSLR, they couldn't be
    bothered to make one lousy planar-design 50mm f/1.4?

    The Foveon X3 sensor has fascinating possiblities; it is being wasted
    inside a Sigma DSLR that can only use Sigma lenses, which are mostly
    zooms anyway. A lot of life happens wider than f/4.

    -Luigi
    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    photos, rants, raves

    Luigi de Guzman, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Sf

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    > And in all those lenses, even for their new DSLR, they couldn't be
    > bothered to make one lousy planar-design 50mm f/1.4?

    Who would buy it? But they make (for example) a 20/1.8, and people buy it.
    Why?

    --
    John Bean

    Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in
    the world that just don't add up (James Magary)
    John Bean, Feb 16, 2004
  7. On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:03:18 +0000, John Bean <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >
    >> And in all those lenses, even for their new DSLR, they couldn't be
    >> bothered to make one lousy planar-design 50mm f/1.4?

    >Who would buy it? But they make (for example) a 20/1.8, and people buy it.
    >Why?

    I would.

    Doesn't anybody shoot available-light anymore? or are popup flashes
    now the be-all and end-all of photographic light?

    Also: narrow depth of field, relatively compact given maximum
    aperture.

    Luigi de Guzman, Feb 16, 2004
  8. John Bean <> wrote in news:1fm7vr6rsvvu1
    $:

    > Who would buy it? But they make (for example) a 20/1.8, and people buy it.
    > Why?

    I would. 50/1.4 is a nice portarait lens for APS sized sensors.

    The only fast prime lenses from Sigma are 20 and 24 and 28,
    all 1.8 and all wide angle lenses and no one below 1.8.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Feb 16, 2004
  9. Sf

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:24 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:03:18 +0000, John Bean <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >>
    >>> And in all those lenses, even for their new DSLR, they couldn't be
    >>> bothered to make one lousy planar-design 50mm f/1.4?

    >>Who would buy it? But they make (for example) a 20/1.8, and people buy it.
    >>Why?

    > I would.
    >
    > Doesn't anybody shoot available-light anymore? or are popup flashes
    > now the be-all and end-all of photographic light?
    >
    > Also: narrow depth of field, relatively compact given maximum
    > aperture.

    Yes, but Sigma want to sell lenses, primarily for use on other
    manufacturer's bodies. Other manufacturers make their own 50/1.4 standards,
    but they don't make 20/1.8s.

    I doubt the SA/SD market is large enough to justify making special lenses
    for it that don't sell to Canikon users.

    Economics, sadly.

    --
    John Bean

    Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)
    John Bean, Feb 16, 2004
  10. On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:33:08 +0000, John Bean <>
    wrote:

    >I doubt the SA/SD market is large enough to justify making special lenses
    >for it that don't sell to Canikon users.
    >
    >Economics, sadly.

    Which brings me back to the original point: the Foveon X3 chip is
    wasted in the SD cameras. Never mind how good the chip itself is;
    what good is it to me if I can't have lenses in my favourite focal
    lengths and apertures? (50 f/1.4, for instance. 85 f/2; 35 f/2).

    Luigi de Guzman, Feb 16, 2004
  11. Sf

    Mark M Guest

    "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    > "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > > "Sf" <> wrote in news:w68Yb.334973$na.493476@attbi_s04:
    > >
    > > > What happened to Sigma this year at the PMA show, NO new cameras, no

    6
    > > > meg
    > > > x 3 pixel chips. DAM

    > > This year?
    > >
    > > Sigma has made one (error two, but they are nearly identical)
    > > digital camears ever. There has not been any news from Sigma
    > > all that often. The more devoted Sigma fans say that this is
    > > a good sign - it was perfect at the firts try - no news is
    > > good news. Weeeeell - I would not go that far ...

    > Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    >
    > I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this

    year.

    When they make ONE new lens, they get to claim several as "new"...
    ....One version for Canon mounts, one for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc.
    Mark M, Feb 16, 2004
  12. Sf

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Luigi de Guzman <> wrote:

    >Which brings me back to the original point: the Foveon X3 chip is
    >wasted in the SD cameras. Never mind how good the chip itself is;

    How good is it? So many of the pictures I've seen have fake-looking
    color, with lots of posterization and blotchiness, and you can't blame
    that on slow lenses.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Feb 16, 2004
  13. Sf

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:37:10 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:33:08 +0000, John Bean <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I doubt the SA/SD market is large enough to justify making special lenses
    >>for it that don't sell to Canikon users.
    >>
    >>Economics, sadly.
    >>

    > Which brings me back to the original point: the Foveon X3 chip is
    > wasted in the SD cameras. Never mind how good the chip itself is;
    > what good is it to me if I can't have lenses in my favourite focal
    > lengths and apertures? (50 f/1.4, for instance. 85 f/2; 35 f/2).

    Yes, I see. But if these are your favourite focal lengths in 35mm, surely
    you would want their equivalents on an SD9: 28/1.4, 50/2 and 20/2? The
    20/1.8 (35 equiv) is there and faster, the 28/1.8 (50 equiv) is only half a
    stop slower, leaving only the 50/2.8 (85 equiv) at a stop slower. Two out of
    theee isn't bad :)

    --
    John Bean

    I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada (Britney Spears)
    John Bean, Feb 16, 2004
  14. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message

    > "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in

    message
    > > "Sf" <> wrote in news:w68Yb.334973$na.493476@attbi_s04:
    > >
    > > > What happened to Sigma this year at the PMA show, NO new

    cameras, no 6
    > > > meg
    > > > x 3 pixel chips. DAM

    > > This year?
    > >
    > > Sigma has made one (error two, but they are nearly identical)
    > > digital camears ever. There has not been any news from Sigma
    > > all that often. The more devoted Sigma fans say that this is
    > > a good sign - it was perfect at the firts try - no news is
    > > good news. Weeeeell - I would not go that far ...

    > Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    >
    > I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses

    this year.

    > And a new DSLR.
    >
    > Go take some picts.

    Not ot mention the new SD10 that was released a few months ago.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 16, 2004
  15. "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message

    > The original poster asked about cameras and megapixels.
    > So .. I answered to that. I have not the slightest knowledge
    > if Sigma showed their new lenses at PMA. Maybe they did.
    >
    > > And a new DSLR.

    > The SD10? New? It looks like a patch to SD9 to me.
    > Same camera with some improvements. Milages may differ
    > though.
    >
    > > Go take some picts.

    > Good advice. You too :)
    >
    > Nice weather and rather nice snow landscapes in Stockholm
    > right now. Could be possible to get some nice ones.
    >

    > /Roland

    I would like to see some of those nice snow-covered landscapes! The
    snow around these parts is ugly and unwelcome.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 16, 2004
  16. Sf

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in news:na9Yb.14068
    > $:
    >
    > > Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    > >
    > > I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    > >
    > > If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this

    > year.
    >
    > The original poster asked about cameras and megapixels.
    > So .. I answered to that. I have not the slightest knowledge
    > if Sigma showed their new lenses at PMA. Maybe they did.
    >
    > > And a new DSLR.

    > The SD10? New?

    The SD10 was released last year.

    I was referring to 2004.

    > It looks like a patch to SD9 to me.
    > Same camera with some improvements. Milages may differ
    > though.
    >
    > > Go take some picts.

    > Good advice. You too :)
    >
    > Nice weather and rather nice snow landscapes in Stockholm
    > right now. Could be possible to get some nice ones.

    Sounds like a plan!

    Best, Dan Sullivan from Noo Yawk
    Dan Sullivan, Feb 16, 2004
  17. Sf

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message

    no
    > 6
    > > >
    > > > This year?
    > > >
    > > > Sigma has made one (error two, but they are nearly identical)
    > > > digital camears ever. There has not been any news from Sigma
    > > > all that often. The more devoted Sigma fans say that this is
    > > > a good sign - it was perfect at the firts try - no news is
    > > > good news. Weeeeell - I would not go that far ...

    > > Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    > >
    > > I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    > >
    > > If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this

    > year.
    >
    > When they make ONE new lens, they get to claim several as "new"...
    > ...One version for Canon mounts, one for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc.

    When has Sigma ever done that?

    Claim they have five new lenses when it's one lens in different mounts?

    Anyone ever call you Jughead, Mark?

    If not let me be the first... you're a Jughead.
    Dan Sullivan, Feb 16, 2004
  18. Sf

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <1fm7vr6rsvvu1$>,
    John Bean <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >
    >> And in all those lenses, even for their new DSLR, they couldn't be
    >> bothered to make one lousy planar-design 50mm f/1.4?

    >Who would buy it?

    I would. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is my favourite lens and the one that's
    usually sitting on the front of my 10D. Lovely piece of glass.
    Chris Brown, Feb 16, 2004
  19. Sf

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:50:38 +0000, Chris Brown wrote:

    > In article <1fm7vr6rsvvu1$>,
    > John Bean <> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0500, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >>
    >>> And in all those lenses, even for their new DSLR, they couldn't be
    >>> bothered to make one lousy planar-design 50mm f/1.4?

    >>Who would buy it?

    > I would. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is my favourite lens and the one that's
    > usually sitting on the front of my 10D. Lovely piece of glass.

    So you'd buy the Sigma one instead of the Canon?

    --
    John Bean

    One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time
    (Nancy Astor)
    John Bean, Feb 17, 2004
  20. Sf

    > "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message

    cameras,
    > no
    > > 6

    > > > Isn't Sigma the largest lens manufacturer in the world?
    > > >
    > > > I heard they make more lenses than Canon.
    > > >
    > > > If I'm not mistaken they plan to release twenty or so NEW lenses this

    > > year.
    > >
    > > When they make ONE new lens, they get to claim several as "new"...
    > > ...One version for Canon mounts, one for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, etc.

    > When has Sigma ever done that?
    >
    > Claim they have five new lenses when it's one lens in different mounts?
    >
    > Anyone ever call you Jughead, Mark?
    >
    > If not let me be the first... you're a Jughead.

    Thanks. :)
    ....I wasn't serious, there, chappie!
    -Though I can see I didn't make that all too clear.
    I'm not a big fan of Sigma's claims--
    --While they don't quite go that far, they make other claims that are more
    than suspect (i.e., SD9/10 specs).
    Mark M, Feb 17, 2004