    According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article titled
    "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    Dan Sullivan, Feb 19, 2004

  2. I always run to Consumer Reports when I want my definitive reviews of pro
    photography equipment...

    Barry Kelsall, Feb 19, 2004

  3. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in

    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article
    > titled "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the
    > only DSLR rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    How come then that Canon and Nikon sells the best?
    And that Sigma does not really sell at all?

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Dan Sullivan

    Neil Brown Guest

    problem with csr is they factor price in too much!!!!
    tips the scale to the cheaper product over quality and features sometimes...

    Neil

    Neil Brown, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Dan Sullivan

    KB Guest

    "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in
    >
    > > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article
    > > titled "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the
    > > only DSLR rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    > How come then that Canon and Nikon sells the best?
    > And that Sigma does not really sell at all?
    >

    > /Roland

    If no on buys it, no one will complain :}

    KB, Feb 19, 2004
  6. "Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in
    >
    > > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an

    article
    > > titled "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion

    the
    > > only DSLR rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    > How come then that Canon and Nikon sells the best?
    > And that Sigma does not really sell at all?
    >

    > /Roland

    It's similar to a Rolls Royce and a Ford. More Fords are sold but
    which would you rather own? :)

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Dan Sullivan

    John Navas Guest

    In <uYaZb.4517$> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004
    22:41:30 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:

    >"Roland Karlsson" <> wrote in message
    >> "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article
    >> > titled "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the
    >> > only DSLR rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    >> How come then that Canon and Nikon sells the best?
    >> And that Sigma does not really sell at all?

    >It's similar to a Rolls Royce and a Ford. More Fords are sold but
    >which would you rather own? :)

    Ford. (Seriously.)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Dan Sullivan

    Mark B. Guest

    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article

    titled
    > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    Consumer Reports is the LAST place I'll go for digital camera reviews.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 20, 2004
  9. "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article

    titled
    > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    If they say the S2 is tops, who am I, an S2 user, to disagree??

    I guess I'll have to look up the article, so that I have more bragging
    rights! ;)

    Zinchuk

    Brian Zinchuk, Feb 20, 2004
  10. Dan Sullivan

    Mark M Guest

    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article

    titled
    > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    That's why it's called "Consumer" Reports...

    ....and not "Photographer" Reports.

    Mark M, Feb 20, 2004
  11. Dan Sullivan

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article

    > titled
    > > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    > > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    > That's why it's called "Consumer" Reports...
    >
    > ...and not "Photographer" Reports.

    Well put Mark!

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 20, 2004
  12. Dan Sullivan

    Bill Terry Guest

    On 19 Feb 2004 20:05:30 GMT, Roland Karlsson
    <> wrote:

    >"Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in
    >
    >> According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article
    >> titled "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the
    >> only DSLR rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    >How come then that Canon and Nikon sells the best?
    >And that Sigma does not really sell at all?

    Is Sigma still in the league?

    Bill Terry, Feb 20, 2004
  13. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:52:37 GMT, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >[POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <uYaZb.4517$> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004
    >22:41:30 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    >
    >>It's similar to a Rolls Royce and a Ford. More Fords are sold but
    >>which would you rather own? :)

    >Ford. (Seriously.)

    Really? I'd go for the Rolls Royce, but only so I could sell it and
    buy something made in Germany to drive and somethings made in the Far
    East to shoot pictures with when I get there... ;)

    Besides, I think the analogy needs the Rolls Royce replacing with a
    Yugo to be more representative of the camera situation. Yugos are
    still inferior to Ford, right?

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 20, 2004
  14. Dan Sullivan

    DM Guest

    "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message news:<CM6Zb.2380$>...
    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article titled
    > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    I've yet to come across even one pro using a Sigma SD9/10. In fact I
    haven't come across anyone using a SD9/10. My local camera store even
    stopped stocking SD9's and all SA mount lenses because sales were
    so poor.

    Oh, and I've seen lots more people using D100's D1H's, D1X's etc as
    opposed to S2's. I guess "Consumer Reports" didn't do any home work.

    DM, Feb 20, 2004
  15. Dan Sullivan

    RAD Guest

    Dan Sullivan wrote:

    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article titled
    > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the only DSLR
    > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    I wonder what "Pros" they talked to then. I know of a couple people that
    use an SD-9 or Fuji camera. Both of them are going to either a Canon or
    perhaps the new Nikon D70. None of them are professional photographers,
    but do supplement their income with camera work.

    Since most professional photographers use either Nikon or Canon, I would
    take CR with a grain of salt. They've reviewed/tested a few other things
    that I found them way offbase about as well.

    RAD

    RAD, Feb 20, 2004
  16. Dan Sullivan

    AArDvarK Guest

    Why support Germany? They've got nearly 400 Nazi
    organizations currently, and no matter what, you'll
    support that by buying new products from them, as
    they work everywhere and pay their dues into those
    organizations. The state of Bavaria alone has 12
    million people, as much as Los Angeles county. So
    the number of Nazi's in Germany is a huge ratio to
    the whole population, being the point. Buy it used.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 20, 2004
  17. Dan Sullivan

    AArDvarK Guest

    .... Very noisy chip ... sorry to say.
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 20, 2004
  18. "Andy Blanchard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:52:37 GMT, John Navas
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >[POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    > >
    > >In <uYaZb.4517$> on Thu, 19 Feb

    2004
    > >22:41:30 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>It's similar to a Rolls Royce and a Ford. More Fords are sold but
    > >>which would you rather own? :)

    > >Ford. (Seriously.)

    > Really? I'd go for the Rolls Royce, but only so I could sell it and
    > buy something made in Germany to drive and somethings made in the

    Far
    > East to shoot pictures with when I get there... ;)
    >
    > Besides, I think the analogy needs the Rolls Royce replacing with a
    > Yugo to be more representative of the camera situation. Yugos are
    > still inferior to Ford, right?
    >
    > Andy

    You may not like the Sigma cameras but comparing them to a Yugo is
    laughable. Just look at the examples on PBase and then tell me you
    think the camera takes lousy pictures - it doesn't.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 20, 2004
  19. "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    > > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an

    article
    > titled
    > > "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the

    only DSLR
    > > rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.
    > >

    > Consumer Reports is the LAST place I'll go for digital camera

    reviews.

    > Mark

    I'm a very satisfied Sigma SD9 owner but I must say that I also would
    not refer to Consumer Reports for a camera review - just as I wouldn't
    for other items such as a car or computer. Consumer Reports, IMO,
    tends to view items as "appliances" where I tend to consider
    intangibles that their testing can never measure.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 20, 2004
  20. Dan Sullivan wrote:

    > According to the March 2004 issue of Consumer Reports, in an article
    > titled "Digital SLR Cameras: What The Pros Use," in their opinion the
    > only DSLR rated better than the Sigma SD9 is the Fuji S2.

    Consumer Reports has screwed up more times than not. I don't bother to
    read their junk.

    Fred

    --
    "...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
    the Ugly)."

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 20, 2004