Sigma Photo, Seven Rules for Legal Advertising, FTC Consumer Complaint Link, and Suggested Text for

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven M. Scharf, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Interesting article at Nolo Press, entitled, "Seven Rules for Legal
    Advertising," on how to "comply with laws against deceptive or misleading
    advertising." First on the list is "Be Accurate." See:
    http://tinyurl.com/2hzu8.

    The FTC does occasionally take action against manufacturers that engage in
    extremely misleading advertising. You can file a complaint with the Federal
    Trade Commission at:
    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01 .

    I would like to see the FTC set some standards for specifications of digital
    cameras. They should require manufacturers to state the number of pixels, as
    well as the number of photodetectors. This would not give an unfair
    advantage to either Bayer type sensors, or to layered sensors such as the
    Foveon X3.

    Suggested Text for FTC Complaint
    ------------------------------------
    There is a problem with some digital camera manufacturers engaging in
    misleading advertising regarding the megapixel resolution of their products.

    For example, in its initial marketing collateral for its digital SLR
    cameras, Sigma Photo Corporation correctly stated the resolution of their
    cameras as 3.43 megapixels. They then went on to explain, "...for every
    pixel on a Foveon X3 image sensor, there's actually a stack of three
    photodetectors."

    The distinction between pixels and photodetectors was necessary because the
    photosensor that Sigma uses in their products, is a 3.43 megapixel/10.2
    photodetector sensor (it has three photodetectors stacked at each pixel
    location). Having multiple photodetectors for each pixel is, in theory,
    supposed to increase color accuracy, but it does not increase the pixel
    resolution, a 3.43 megapixel sensor is still a 3.43 megapixel sensor, no
    matter how many photodetectors comprise each pixel.

    Recently, Sigma Photo has dropped the distinction between pixels and
    photodetectors, and has begun advertising their 3.4 megapixel/10.2
    Mphotodetector, SD10 camera, as having 10.2 megapixel resolution. This is
    extremely misleading. Sigma Photo is taking advantage of consumers that are
    unfamiliar with the technology of digital camera sensors. They are inflating
    the pixel resolution of their digital cameras by a factor of three, in an
    effort to mislead consumers. Sigma Photo is free to state the number of
    photodectectors (as they did in their earlier advertising and marketing
    collateral), and explain the advantages of having three photodetectors per
    pixel (as they also did in their earlier advertising and marketing
    collateral). They should not be permitted to claim that a pixel is the same
    as a photodector--it's not.

    This problem is only going to get worse. Already, World Wide Licenses is
    touting its upcoming Polaroid X530 digital camera as a 4.5 megapixel camera,
    when in reality it is a 1.5 megapixel/4.5 Mphotodetector camera. Since the
    Polaroid X530 is aimed at a market segment that is less savvy about the
    differences between pixels and photodetectors, the potential for harm is
    higher than it is with Sigma Photo Corporation's digital SLR cameras.

    To protect consumers, the FTC should set standards for the specifications of
    digital cameras. The manufacturers should be required to state,
    unambiguously, the megapixels (spatial resolution) of the sensor, the
    photodetectors per pixel, and the total number of photodetectors. Requiring
    that they specify both megapixels and photodetectors would be fair to all
    manufacturers.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Steven M. Scharf

    ArtKramr Guest

    Re: Sigma Photo, Seven Rules for Legal Advertising, FTC Consumer Complaint Link, and Suggested Text for FTC Comp

> [...]
    >as a photodector--it's not.
    >
    >This problem is only going to get worse. Already, World Wide Licenses is
    >touting its upcoming Polaroid X530 digital camera as a 4.5 megapixel camera,
    >when in reality it is a 1.5 megapixel/4.5 Mphotodetector camera. Since the
    >Polaroid X530 is aimed at a market segment that is less savvy about the
    >differences between pixels and photodetectors, the potential for harm is
    >higher than it is with Sigma Photo Corporation's digital SLR cameras.
    >
    >To protect consumers, the FTC should set standards for the specifications of
    >digital cameras. The manufacturers should be required to state,
    >unambiguously, the megapixels (spatial resolution) of the sensor, the
    >photodetectors per pixel, and the total number of photodetectors. Requiring
    >that they specify both megapixels and photodetectors would be fair to all

    Wheb I was in advertising (35 years creative director Senior VP) the FTC was a
    powerful watchdog group that checked everything that ran. They were tough and
    uncompromising on false claims and were every effective. They lost all thier
    power when the "pro business" Republicans took office and today have very litle
    impact compared to years ago.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Steven M. Scharf

    BG250 Guest

    They are saying 10.2 megapixel resolution, not that it is a 10.2 mp camera.
    I can see how this is misleading, but not necessarily illegal. Throwing the
    word resolution in the mix clouds the water.

    dpreview clearly shows the SD10 is in the same ball park in resolution as
    the other 6mp Bayer SLRs. 10.2 mp "resolution" is not really defined.
    Comparing it to a Bayer 10.2mp SLR is a stretch, however.

    I'm not sticking up for Sigma. There are some image quality issues the SD10
    has why I would recommend 6mp Canon or Nikon over the SD10. I have the
    dRebel.
    bg

    BG250, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Get your money back! FTC Consumer Complaint Link, and Suggested Text for FTC Complaint

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message news:<KkFxc.7808$>...

    > Suggested Text for FTC Complaint
    > ------------------------------------
    > There is a problem with most digital camera manufacturers engaging in
    > misleading advertising regarding the megapixel resolution of their products.

    Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, and Kodak (and all who market Bayer-based
    sensors in digital cameras) list monochrome Megapixels (MPs) but
    clearly advertising them as full color MPs. This is miseading and
    inaccurate.

    In reality, each and every discrete full color pixel must be
    interpolated from 4 of the monochrome pixels of the MP rating, this is
    done by placing a color filter mosiac over the monochrome digital
    sensor. After combining every set of 4 pixels, the camera can
    interpolate 1, single, discrete, full color pixel. This means that
    all of these manufactures are intentionally deceiving customers by a
    factor of at least 400% when they intentionally list their strictly
    monochrome MP ratings as "full color" MP ratings.

    I suggest a full refund be offered to each and every
    Bayer-sensor-based digital camera customer who was influenced by the
    advertised (monochrome) MP rating when buying a Bayer-sensor based
    digital camera. This intentionally deceptive business practice needs
    to be controlled, punitive sanctions on the order of 3 times total
    earnings, proportionately returned to the customer pool based on
    damages sustained, is within legal precedent and should also be
    imposed.

    [Message sent, thanks]

    George Preddy, Jun 10, 2004
  5. "BG250" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > They are saying 10.2 megapixel resolution, not that it is a 10.2 mp camera.
    > I can see how this is misleading, but not necessarily illegal. Throwing the
    > word resolution in the mix clouds the water.
    >
    > dpreview clearly shows the SD10 is in the same ball park in resolution as
    > the other 6mp Bayer SLRs. 10.2 mp "resolution" is not really defined.
    > Comparing it to a Bayer 10.2mp SLR is a stretch, however.

    Then complain to dpreview, they say the Sigma SD10 = 13.72MPs...

    "The Foveon X3 sensor captures full color for each pixel location and
    thus requires no demosaic processing, a single individual pixel has
    its own distinct color without influence from neighbouring pixels.
    This leads me to the term 'Single Pixel Resolution', the X3 sensor's
    striking ability to capture image detail down to a single pixel level,
    such as a wire which in the image is just one pixel across.

    You can of course produce similar results from a Bayer sensor camera
    by downsampling an image by 50%, this is (approximately) the same as
    combining two green, one red and one blue pixel together. To achieve
    this and be left with an image of the same size as the SD10 you would
    need 4536 x 3024 (13.7 megapixel) input image."

    George Preddy, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Steven M. Scharf

    Guest

    Re: Get your money back! FTC Consumer Complaint Link, and Suggested Text for FTC Complaint

    Where are your pics gp

    On 9 Jun 2004 19:46:01 -0700, (George Preddy)
    wrote:

    >"Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message news:<KkFxc.7808$>...
    >
    >> Suggested Text for FTC Complaint
    >> ------------------------------------
    >> There is a problem with most digital camera manufacturers engaging in
    >> misleading advertising regarding the megapixel resolution of their products.

    >Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, and Kodak (and all who market Bayer-based
    >sensors in digital cameras) list monochrome Megapixels (MPs) but
    >clearly advertising them as full color MPs. This is miseading and
    >inaccurate.
    >
    >In reality, each and every discrete full color pixel must be
    >interpolated from 4 of the monochrome pixels of the MP rating, this is
    >done by placing a color filter mosiac over the monochrome digital
    >sensor. After combining every set of 4 pixels, the camera can
    >interpolate 1, single, discrete, full color pixel. This means that
    >all of these manufactures are intentionally deceiving customers by a
    >factor of at least 400% when they intentionally list their strictly
    >monochrome MP ratings as "full color" MP ratings.
    >
    >I suggest a full refund be offered to each and every
    >Bayer-sensor-based digital camera customer who was influenced by the
    >advertised (monochrome) MP rating when buying a Bayer-sensor based
    >digital camera. This intentionally deceptive business practice needs
    >to be controlled, punitive sanctions on the order of 3 times total
    >earnings, proportionately returned to the customer pool based on
    >damages sustained, is within legal precedent and should also be
    >imposed.
    >
    >[Message sent, thanks]

    , Jun 10, 2004
  7. Steven M. Scharf

    Guest

    Where are your pics gp

    On 9 Jun 2004 19:49:22 -0700, (George Preddy)
    wrote:

    >"BG250" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> They are saying 10.2 megapixel resolution, not that it is a 10.2 mp camera.
    >> I can see how this is misleading, but not necessarily illegal. Throwing the
    >> word resolution in the mix clouds the water.
    >>
    >> dpreview clearly shows the SD10 is in the same ball park in resolution as
    >> the other 6mp Bayer SLRs. 10.2 mp "resolution" is not really defined.
    >> Comparing it to a Bayer 10.2mp SLR is a stretch, however.

    >Then complain to dpreview, they say the Sigma SD10 = 13.72MPs...
    >
    >"The Foveon X3 sensor captures full color for each pixel location and
    >thus requires no demosaic processing, a single individual pixel has
    >its own distinct color without influence from neighbouring pixels.
    >This leads me to the term 'Single Pixel Resolution', the X3 sensor's
    >striking ability to capture image detail down to a single pixel level,
    >such as a wire which in the image is just one pixel across.
    >
    >You can of course produce similar results from a Bayer sensor camera
    >by downsampling an image by 50%, this is (approximately) the same as
    >combining two green, one red and one blue pixel together. To achieve
    >this and be left with an image of the same size as the SD10 you would
    >need 4536 x 3024 (13.7 megapixel) input image."

    , Jun 10, 2004
  8. Steven M. Scharf

    wrote:

    >"Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message news:<KkFxc.7808$>...
    >
    >> Suggested Text for FTC Complaint
    >> ------------------------------------
    >> There is a problem with most digital camera manufacturers engaging in
    >> misleading advertising regarding the megapixel resolution of their products.

    >Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, and Kodak (and all who market Bayer-based
    >sensors in digital cameras) list monochrome Megapixels (MPs) but
    >clearly advertising them as full color MPs. This is miseading and
    >inaccurate.
    >
    >In reality, each and every discrete full color pixel must be
    >interpolated from 4 of the monochrome pixels of the MP rating, this is
    >done by placing a color filter mosiac over the monochrome digital
    >sensor. After combining every set of 4 pixels, the camera can
    >interpolate 1, single, discrete, full color pixel. This means that
    >all of these manufactures are intentionally deceiving customers by a
    >factor of at least 400% when they intentionally list their strictly
    >monochrome MP ratings as "full color" MP ratings.
    >
    >I suggest a full refund be offered to each and every
    >Bayer-sensor-based digital camera customer who was influenced by the
    >advertised (monochrome) MP rating when buying a Bayer-sensor based
    >digital camera. This intentionally deceptive business practice needs
    >to be controlled, punitive sanctions on the order of 3 times total
    >earnings, proportionately returned to the customer pool based on
    >damages sustained, is within legal precedent and should also be
    >imposed.
    >
    >[Message sent, thanks]

    , Jun 10, 2004
  9. [GP] Get your money

    The person posting under the name of George or Georgette Preddy (and
    other pseudonyms) has an ungrounded but zealous faith that current
    implementation of the Foveon chip is superior to all other chip
    technologies. He will cite portions of reviews to ostensibly support his
    claims, and will repeat, ad naseum, complete lines of out-of-context
    material.

    His claims may well be ignored, or at the very least verified since most
    of them are extreme distortions and some are out and out fabrications."

    Moreover, "Mr." "Preddy" has claimed to be a photographer (pro!), but
    cannot bring himself to post a single picture with EXIF info that he
    shot himself, in spite of repeated requests and challenges to do so.

    Apparently he loathes anything related to Canon and loves everything
    about Sigma cameras and lenses. His "claims" may be ignored, and he is
    doing Sigma, and anyone related to the Foveon chip, no good at all by
    arousing ire, increasing the N/S ratio, and generally spamming this
    newsgroup.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 10, 2004
  10. Steven M. Scharf

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "BG250" <> stated that:

    >They are saying 10.2 megapixel resolution, not that it is a 10.2 mp camera.
    >I can see how this is misleading, but not necessarily illegal. Throwing the
    >word resolution in the mix clouds the water.

    If it's legal, it shouldn't be. Scanner makers used to pull exactly the
    same scam, but now they have to say "interpolated" for the output
    resolutions that are greater than the sensor resolution.

    Lionel, Jun 10, 2004
  11. Re: Get your money back! FTC Consumer Complaint Link, and Suggested Text for FTC Complaint

    <> wrote in message
    > Where are your pics gp

    I respectfully suggest you post your admonitions using a different e-mail
    address, because otherwise I (and possibly others) am about to killfile
    you.

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 10, 2004
  12. "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote

    <SNIPPED DEFAMATORY LIBELOUS FUCKING BULLSHIT>

    The OP needs to stop posting these lies and get a life. Spend more
    time with your family than you do working on your anti-Sigma dedicated
    websites. Canon's 15 minutes is over. Sigma is the present and the
    future, and they will have the staying power of Microsoft.

    Hope this helps.

    -Orville

    Orville Wright, Jun 10, 2004
  13. wrote in message news:<>...
    > Where are your pics gp

    Do you know how to use google? I've posted a hundred or so over the
    last few months.

    George Preddy, Jun 10, 2004
  14. In article <>, Orville
    Wright <> wrote:
    > The OP needs to stop posting these lies and get a life. Spend more
    > time with your family than you do working on your anti-Sigma dedicated
    > websites. Canon's 15 minutes is over. Sigma is the present and the
    > future, and they will have the staying power of Microsoft.

    Are you sticking to this when Sigma files Chapter 13?

    Hope this helps...

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 10, 2004
  15. Steven M. Scharf

    Guest

    where are your pics gp

    On 10 Jun 2004 06:50:02 -0700,
    (Orville Wright) wrote:

    >"Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote
    >
    ><SNIPPED DEFAMATORY LIBELOUS FUCKING BULLSHIT>
    >
    >The OP needs to stop posting these lies and get a life. Spend more
    >time with your family than you do working on your anti-Sigma dedicated
    >websites. Canon's 15 minutes is over. Sigma is the present and the
    >future, and they will have the staying power of Microsoft.
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >-Orville

    , Jun 10, 2004
  16. Steven M. Scharf

    adm Guest

    "Orville Wright" <> wrote in message
    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote
    >
    > <SNIPPED DEFAMATORY LIBELOUS FUCKING BULLSHIT>
    >
    > The OP needs to stop posting these lies and get a life. Spend more
    > time with your family than you do working on your anti-Sigma dedicated
    > websites. Canon's 15 minutes is over. Sigma is the present and the
    > future, and they will have the staying power of Microsoft.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Helped me spit coffee over my keyboard with laughter anyway.

    Just use your camera and stop this pro/con Sigma bullshit.

    adm, Jun 10, 2004
  17. Steven M. Scharf

    Guest

    You have posted links to other peoples work. Where are your pics.

  18. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Orville
    > Wright <> wrote:
    > > The OP needs to stop posting these lies and get a life. Spend more
    > > time with your family than you do working on your anti-Sigma dedicated
    > > websites. Canon's 15 minutes is over. Sigma is the present and the
    > > future, and they will have the staying power of Microsoft.

    > Are you sticking to this when Sigma files Chapter 13?

    Sigma's business is mainly lenses. They are the largest independent producer
    of lenses for other manufacturer's cameras, and the third largest lens
    producer over all.

    The losses from their ill-advised foray into SLR cameras, both film and
    digital, are minimal, compared to their overall business.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 10, 2004
  19. "Orville Wright" <> wrote in message
    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote
    >
    > <SNIPPED DEFAMATORY LIBELOUS FUCKING BULLSHIT>
    >
    > The OP needs to stop posting these lies and get a life. Spend more
    > time with your family than you do working on your anti-Sigma dedicated
    > websites. Canon's 15 minutes is over. Sigma is the present and the
    > future, and they will have the staying power of Microsoft.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Funny stuff GP.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 10, 2004
  20. In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:
    > Do you know how to use google? I've posted a hundred or so over the
    > last few months.

    Liar, liar, pants on fire...

    Hope this helps

    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 10, 2004