    I'm curious to know if people can really notice a difference between
    these two? Lets take for example the 12-24 that each provides. Is the
    Nikon worth the extra money? I would be using the lens on a Fuji S2.
    C.S., Feb 27, 2004

  2. (C.S.) writes:

    > I'm curious to know if people can really notice a difference between
    > these two? Lets take for example the 12-24 that each provides. Is the
    > Nikon worth the extra money? I would be using the lens on a Fuji S2.

    I don't know yet, haven't had enough money to buy even the Sigma. Let
    me know if you figure it out :).

    The various pictures from the Sigma I've looked at online look rather
    hopeful. It's currently on the list to get when I have money to
    blow. I'm not holding my breath.
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 27, 2004

  3. C.S.

    max Guest

    "C.S."
    > I'm curious to know if people can really notice a difference between
    > these two? Lets take for example the 12-24 that each provides. Is the
    > Nikon worth the extra money? I would be using the lens on a Fuji S2.

    I guess with some lenses some people can see the difference.
    The best thing is to go to your dealer and ask to check the
    lenses you are interested in. But generally you get more for
    your money with Sigma imo. I've got 4 nikon and 3 sigma
    and doubt anyone would be able to point out which are which.
    I have had the oportunity to test the Nikon 500/4 against a
    Sigma 500/4,5 they feel and work differently and the half f/stop
    extra on the Nikon is very very nice, but it is bigger and heavier
    and 3 times the price, images look very similar.
    I think I read somewhere the sigma 12-24 is a fullsize lens whereas
    the Nikon is a DX lens for use only on digital halfsize cameras,
    maby something to consider. ;o)-max-
    max, Feb 27, 2004
  4. C.S. wrote:

    > I'm curious to know if people can really notice a difference between
    > these two? Lets take for example the 12-24 that each provides. Is the
    > Nikon worth the extra money? I would be using the lens on a Fuji S2.

    Yes!

    Fred

    --
    "...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
    the Ugly)."
    Fred A. Miller, Feb 27, 2004
  5. C.S.

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    max wrote:

    > I think I read somewhere the sigma 12-24 is a fullsize lens
    > whereas the Nikon is a DX lens for use only on digital halfsize
    > cameras, maby something to consider. ;o)-max-

    I have the Sigma 12-24 and I bought it after extensively
    comparing it to the equivalent Nikkor. The latter is a half-stop
    faster at 12mm and a constant f/4, while the Sigma is 4.5-5.6.
    That's where the advantages of the Nikkor pretty much end.
    While the optical performance is similar, the Sigma shows much
    less distorsion (to the point of being hardly noticeable at all)
    through the entire range and, best of all, it can be used with a
    film camera or full-size sensor. When, in a few years, Nikon
    finally releases a consumer-level full-size sensor DSLR, the
    Nikkor 12-24DX will become an expensive paper weight.
    As a matter of fact, I find myself using the Sigma most of the
    time with my F100, where it's a TRUE 12mm rectilinear and
    it's...a blast!! If I bought the Nikkor, I could have only used
    it on my D100 (with a much less dramatic 18-36mm range.)

    Last but not least, you can find the Sigma for $650 while
    the best price you can get for the Nikkor is still above
    $1,000.
    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 27, 2004
  6. C.S.

    KBob Guest

    On 26 Feb 2004 21:11:47 -0800, (C.S.) wrote:

    >I'm curious to know if people can really notice a difference between
    >these two? Lets take for example the 12-24 that each provides. Is the
    >Nikon worth the extra money? I would be using the lens on a Fuji S2.

    Sigmas are quite often bummers (see PhotoDo), but the 12-24 fills a
    unique niche in that it provides full-frame coverage and is thus not
    obsolete when the major manufacturers shift to full-frame sensors, and
    is also useful with film. Tests that I've read seem to show only
    small differences in optical quality between this and the Nikkor 12-24
    that is limited to half-size CCD coverage. Don't expect exceptional
    results from either lens in terms of vignetting and edge resolution.
    I've never been a fan of Sigma lenses, but I'd make an exception in
    this case. The 12-24 has nearly always been given excellent reviews,
    and for $600 it seems a bargain. Build quality appears to be
    excellent on this lens, also.

    If you're looking for an extreme WA, the Sigma appears at this time to
    be the way to go.
    KBob, Feb 27, 2004
  7. C.S.

    John Navas Guest

    In <y_H%b.98491$> on Fri, 27 Feb 2004
    14:54:35 +0100, "max" <> wrote:

    >"C.S."
    >> I'm curious to know if people can really notice a difference between
    >> these two? Lets take for example the 12-24 that each provides. Is the
    >> Nikon worth the extra money? I would be using the lens on a Fuji S2.

    >I guess with some lenses some people can see the difference.
    >The best thing is to go to your dealer and ask to check the
    >lenses you are interested in. ...

    While that's good advice, you really need to take pictures with the two lenses
    to make a proper comparison.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 27, 2004
  8. C.S.

    rene maark Guest

    Hi,
    I use a FinePix S2 Pro with:
    1/ Sigma 70-300mm
    2/ Sigma 15-30mm
    and I am satisfied. Both the lens are OK as for the sharp and drawing lines.
    I can recommend you both, really. I made a photographs 20 x 30 inch for
    exhibition with success.
    Regards,
    rene

    rene maark, Feb 27, 2004