    pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.

    Thanks,

    Tom d.
    Tom, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Tom

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
    > should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
    > pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.

    Like any manufacturer, Sigma has good and bad lenses, it depends on the
    model - and occasionally, on the individual sample that you get. Also,
    there are inherant trade-offs in lens design (such as
    resolution-vs-contrast) which make the decision come down to preference or
    application, not just which lens (or brand!) is "better".

    Decide what you want to use the lens for, decide on parameters and price
    range, and look at your options from all manufacturers, including as many
    first-hand reviews as you can find, then make your decision.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Tom

    Jeremy Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message

    > I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
    > should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
    > pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom d.

    You claim to own a Leica, and you are asking a question that is phrased in
    such general terms that no one could possibly give you a response that makes
    sense?

    What focal length, what exactly do you mean by "good quality," will the lens
    be used only occasionally or will you be subjecting it to rigorous use?

    Are you trolling?
    Jeremy, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Tom

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > You claim to own a Leica, and you are asking a question that is phrased in
    > such general terms that no one could possibly give you a response that

    makes
    > sense?

    There are plenty of people with money to burn who plop down a lot of money
    on the nicest cameras they can purchase, yet aren't very serious about
    photography. : )

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Tom

    Skip M Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
    >should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
    >pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom d.

    If you want good quality, and your standards are based on Leica cameras, it
    is probably best to shy away from Sigma. They do produce some good lenses,
    but it takes some weeding through the chaff (to mix metaphors) to get the
    right ones. Stick with Nikkor...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Tom

    Mark² Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a lense to go on a Nikon D100. Is a Sigma lense good of
    > should I go for the extra $$ to get a Nikor lense? I want good quality
    > pictures. My 35 mm camera is a Leica; you get the drift.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom d.

    Leica and Sigma are about as polar-extreme from each other than any two lens
    manufacturers you could name.

    Leica:
    Uncompromising attention to detail, build, and optical quality--marketed to
    folks who love expensive things...tends to attract a mixture of excellent
    photographers along with wealthy folks who know nothing but that they like
    buying expensive stuff.

    Sigma:
    Compromised on serious and numerous levels in order to be inexpensive (save
    for a few optical exceptions) including problems with build-quality, major
    problems with future body compatability, reliability, handling,
    service--marketed to those who place low price as a high priority.

    Sigmites may squeal, here, but there is a reason why Sigma costs less than
    Canon & Nikon.
    Mark², Jan 14, 2005