Sigma Lens for Nikon D-50?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hoover, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Hoover

    Hoover Guest

    Hoover, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Hoover wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
    > thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
    > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

    This month's "Practical Photography" gives it 5/5. In summary they say
    excellent build quality, smooth zoom and focus action, "proving this
    lens is a worthwhile and versatile addition to your kit bag".

    I could scan the article if you like, but they don't say much more than
    that.

    --
    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Hoover wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
    > thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
    > http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

    I just added one to my D50; for the price, the quality is great!! It
    seems solid and well built for a "bargain" priced lens. The image
    quality is acceptable, but not as sharp and crisp as the much more
    expensive Nikon ED lenses, of course. Here are some shots I just did at
    a local market. http://tinyurl.com/fdlgy I hand-held the camera, which
    is a problem at 200-300mm so there is a bit of blurring. I did some
    enhancing in PS. One image (the church) is taken with a Nikon 18-70 ED
    lens at 70mm. I can see a big improvement in image quality with that
    lens. All in all, if you are not exhibiting large studio prints I think
    it is a fine amateur lens. Be sure you do get the "APO DG Macro"
    version - the one with the red band. Some of the negative features are
    - the front element rotates making polarizing filters a bit messy - I
    would keep the telephoto at 200mm or below and at f8 - for best quality.
    I think it falls off quickly after that. The macro feature clicks in
    only when set to 300mm - 200mm. Other than, that it works real slick on
    the D50. I am happy with it.

    --
    Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
    California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l

    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 24, 2006
  4. Hoover

    Roy G Guest

    "TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <> wrote in message
    > Hoover wrote:
    >> I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
    >> thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
    >> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

    > I just added one to my D50; for the price, the quality is great!! It
    > seems solid and well built for a "bargain" priced lens. The image quality
    > is acceptable, but not as sharp and crisp as the much more expensive Nikon
    > ED lenses, of course. Here are some shots I just did at a local market.
    > http://tinyurl.com/fdlgy I hand-held the camera, which is a problem at
    > 200-300mm so there is a bit of blurring. I did some enhancing in PS. One
    > image (the church) is taken with a Nikon 18-70 ED lens at 70mm. I can see
    > a big improvement in image quality with that lens. All in all, if you are
    > not exhibiting large studio prints I think it is a fine amateur lens. Be
    > sure you do get the "APO DG Macro" version - the one with the red band.
    > Some of the negative features are - the front element rotates making
    > polarizing filters a bit messy - I would keep the telephoto at 200mm or
    > below and at f8 - for best quality. I think it falls off quickly after
    > that. The macro feature clicks in only when set to 300mm - 200mm. Other
    > than, that it works real slick on the D50. I am happy with it.

    Hi.

    From what I can gather the Nikon 70 -300 can not be described as being
    amongst the best Nikon Lenses, in fact not even near that standard. The
    price reductions available almost everywhere should demonstrate this.

    One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even made
    by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass, only
    the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass is
    where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.

    In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
    Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Apr 27, 2006
  5. Hoover

    Romeo Raabe Guest

    I've been using an older Sigma 28-300 on my D50 since I purchased it
    and have been pleased with it. A few months ago a recently retired
    photographer I went to photo school with joined me in St. John USVI and
    used this combo. He was so impressed that when we got to St Thomas
    shopping one day, he bought a Sigma 28-300 for himself. His newer
    version is slightly shorter, smaller, and has macro mine does not. We
    both give it a thumbs up. He is more critical than I and it satisfies
    him.
    Romeo Raabe in Green Bay

    Romeo Raabe, Apr 28, 2006
  6. As an owner of the Nikon lens in question, and also one who has had a chance
    to use the Sigma model on my D50, I'd say you may actually notice superior
    quality with the Sigma. Particularly at the long end of the zoom and/or in
    tricky light.
    If I didn't have my eye on something a bit longer I'd probably invest in
    one.

    Nick

    Nick P. Norwood, Apr 28, 2006
  7. Roy G <> wrote:

    > One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even made
    > by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass, only
    > the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass is
    > where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.

    They don't have exactly the same glass ... as the D version is an ED lens and
    has [I believe] only one ED element. The build quality is better on the D
    version as well. Personally, I would take the Nikon 70-300 ED lens over the
    sigma any day, and considering the price is about the same (you can get the
    Nikon 70-300D ED AF for $329 from B&H).

    > In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
    > Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.

    The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way too
    much.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 28, 2006
  8. "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    > Roy G <> wrote:
    >>
    >> One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even
    >> made
    >> by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass, only
    >> the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass is
    >> where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.
    >>

    > They don't have exactly the same glass ... as the D version is an ED lens
    > and
    > has [I believe] only one ED element. The build quality is better on the D
    > version as well. Personally, I would take the Nikon 70-300 ED lens over
    > the
    > sigma any day, and considering the price is about the same (you can get
    > the
    > Nikon 70-300D ED AF for $329 from B&H).
    >
    >> In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
    >> Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.
    >>

    > The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way
    > too
    > much.

    Of course $ 300.00 is too much. Typical retail for this Sigma APO lens is $
    200.00 or a bit less. It's a great value.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 29, 2006
  9. TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 29, 2006
  10. "TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >> The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way
    >> too
    >> much.
    >>

    > I got mine for $166 (+ shipping) from Prestige Camera.
    > http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~sg70300aponk.htm

    How was your shopping experience with this place? This is one of the
    rip-off Brooklyn operations that goes by multiple names and customer ratings
    are horrible http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html. At least they
    have a nice storefront
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0180.htm

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 29, 2006
  11. Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    >>I got mine for $166 (+ shipping) from Prestige Camera.
    >>http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~sg70300aponk.htm

    > How was your shopping experience with this place? This is one of the
    > rip-off Brooklyn operations that goes by multiple names and customer ratings
    > are horrible http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html. At least they
    > have a nice storefront
    > http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0180.htm

    Interesting. WOW! 1.91/10 !

    I did not know that when I made the purchase. One aspect that bothered
    me was that they did not give me any "order number" in their
    confirmation e-mail. So I e-mailed them and called to ensure the lens
    was coming. The lens did arrive quickly and everything went well.
    I guess I was a lucky one.

    Thanks for the info - I will not try again with them.

    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 29, 2006