Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megap

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR

    Tokyo Japan. Sigma Corporation of Japan today announced a new 30
    megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor. The new
    model has been dubbed the SD-30.

    The SD-30 features a unique universal lens mount that enables lenses
    from any major manufacturer, without the need for adapters. Canon,
    Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax lenses can all be used on the new
    body. Sigma spokesperson, G. Predimoto, stated: "the new mount is in
    response to the criticism that our earlier digital SLRs could only use
    the lenses with the Sigma SA mount."

    The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers, each with 3
    mega-photodetectors per layer. Silicon color separation is used to
    separate colors into black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
    violet, gray, and white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor results
    in much better color accuracy than their old X3, three layer sensor.
    The Foveon sensor measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm sensor.
    Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat, stated: "now that we've redefined a
    pixel to be a photo-detector, it's allowed ups to create much
    higher-resolution sensors."

    The camera is very feature rich:

    -Universal lens mount
    -ISO 25-6400 with no noticeable noise
    -Concealed, pop-out, vertical grip
    -Titanium body
    -Communications: IEEE 1394 (Firewire) 800, USB 3.0, 802.11G, RS-232,
    20mA Current Loop, ST506, IEEE 1284
    -5" touch-sensitive LCD (2 megapixel) with image preview, and
    integrated web browser
    -Adjustable viewfinder magnification, from 0.6x to 1.6x
    -Integrated anti-shake using optical image stabilization
    -Integrated, automatic, pop-up/pop-down flash
    -Hydrogen fuel cell instead of conventional lithium-ion battery
    -16 frame per second frame rate, with 132 image buffer
    -Universal memory card system, allows the use of Compact Flash,
    Smart-Media, Secure Digital, XD, and Memory Stick, all simultaneously
    -Universal flash interface allows the use of Canon Speedlite, Nikon
    Speedlight, -Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus flash attachments
    -Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror-Lock Down
    -Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Shoot Priority
    -Self Timer, 1 second to 1 hour
    -Movie mode allows 30 frame per second, MPEG4 encoded, video, with
    stereo sound (built in stereo microphone)
    -Watertight to 100 meters, no waterproof enclosure needed
    -Ultrasonic sensor cleaner, automatically senses dust and cleans itself
    -Universal Remote Control: Infrared, RF, Mechanical Cable, Electronic
    Cable
    -GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone (headset required)
    -Integrated PDA, using Palm OS 6.0
    -Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash slot
    -Weight is 500 grams

    MSRP is US$800. Actual price set by dealer. Available on April 31, 2005.
    , Apr 1, 2005

  2. It's not even 4/1/05 here on the west coast!
    Dave R knows who, Apr 1, 2005

  3. RSD99 Guest

    "...
    30 megapixel Digital SLR which uses a new 10 layer Foveon sensor
    ...."

    So ... that essentially means the same old 3 megapixel sensor, but now
    *ten* layers! That's obviously a new "high" ... in a field we once called
    "SPECMANSHIP!"

    RSD99, Apr 1, 2005
  4. What? No cup holder?!?

    Bob Harrington, Apr 1, 2005
  5. And desktop software will track focal points through the 10 planes of
    sensors to produce three dimensional images.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 1, 2005
  6. Brian May Guest

    Re: Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount,Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount,Digital SLR

    sigmaphotojapan> The new Foveon sensor, the X30M, has ten layers,
    sigmaphotojapan> each with 3 mega-photodetectors per
    sigmaphotojapan> layer. Silicon color separation is used to
    sigmaphotojapan> separate colors into black, brown, red, orange,
    sigmaphotojapan> yellow, green, blue, violet, gray, and
    sigmaphotojapan> white. Foveon claims that a ten layer sensor
    sigmaphotojapan> results in much better color accuracy than their

    I hope the accuracy of the black sensor is sufficient to meet
    professional standards.

    sigmaphotojapan> old X3, three layer sensor. The Foveon sensor
    sigmaphotojapan> measures 32.4mm x 21.6mm, or 90% of a 35mm
    sigmaphotojapan> sensor. Foveon spokesperson, Carved Meat,

    What a hopeless camera! I expected a full 100% 35mm sensor.

    sigmaphotojapan> -GSM/CDMA/TDMA/AMPS/iDEN integrated phone
    sigmaphotojapan> (headset required) -Integrated PDA, using Palm OS

    I would hope so! What is the point of a camera without a built-in
    phone, PDA and web browser? Useless. You wouldn't be able to do
    anything with it except take photos.

    sigmaphotojapan> 6.0 -Optional GPS transceiver for Compact Flash

    What? GPS optional? It should be built-in! It shouldn't require using
    the compact flash slot.

    sigmaphotojapan> slot -Weight is 500 grams

    I would also expect a clock that automatically synchronizes itself;
    this should be easy via Internet access (required by web browser).

    <grin>.
    --
    Brian May <>
    Brian May, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Guest

    I thought they were going to add the menu feature of camera
    self destruct--for security and covert operations.

    Did you just fail to mention it?
    , Apr 1, 2005