    has popped up.

    What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Julian Tan Guest

    I had this lens on my Rebel2000 (film SLR) and was never particularly
    taken to it.

    It was good... but never really used it much. Plus, the AF on it
    busted (my fault).

    Cheers,
    Jules
    http://www.shuttertalk.com
    Shuttertalk - Digital photography resources
    Julian Tan, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    David Hearn Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I
    > have been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which
    > I'm always hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens (in
    > the subject line) has popped up.
    >
    > What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?

    Looking at Sigma UK's website, I can't see a mention of a 70-210mm f4-5.6
    lens. I can see an EX class 70-200 f2.8 (expensive). Based on this, I can
    only assume that it is an old, out-of-production lens and you'll be buying
    2nd hand. I've got the 70-300mm APO Super Macro II and I find it
    excellent - never had a problem with either my EOS 300 or my EOS 300D. I
    know that older lenses have had problems (ie. don't work) with the 300D and
    may need to be re-chipped - which may only be an option on their current
    line-up. Out of production lenses may not be able to be rechipped.

    Unless the lens is very cheap and can be confirmed to be working on your
    camera prior to purchasing, I would be cautious and steer towards the
    70-300mm lens.

    David
    David Hearn, Nov 23, 2004
  4. It was re-chipped for a Canon D30. They want $115 for it. Someone else is
    selling a 70-300 APO Super Macro II for $140, but they're not returning my
    messages.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Mark B. Guest

    "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I have
    >been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which I'm always
    >hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens (in the subject
    >line) has popped up.
    >
    > What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?
    >
    > LRH

    Forget that lens and consider the 70-200 f/2.8 EX instead. The optics are
    teriffic, construction is also. I've not had a problem with mine; I started
    using it with a Canon A2 about 10 years ago, and now with a 10D.

    Mark
    Mark B., Nov 23, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    David Hearn Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Digital Rebel and need a respectable telephoto zoom. One I
    >> have been aiming for is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, which
    >> I'm always hearing great things about. Meanwhile, this other lens
    >> (in the subject line) has popped up.
    >>
    >> What are your guys's opinions on it, particularly optically-speaking?
    >>
    >> LRH
    >>

    > Forget that lens and consider the 70-200 f/2.8 EX instead. The
    > optics are teriffic, construction is also. I've not had a problem
    > with mine; I started using it with a Canon A2 about 10 years ago, and
    > now with a 10D.
    > Mark

    Hmm, ignore a lens which costs £160 GBP (£220 RRP) and instead recommend a
    lens costing nearly 4x that cost at £580 (£800 RRP)??!?

    No doubt it is an excellent lens - but for some (possibly most) people that
    is an obscene amount of money to spend on a lens. And before people say
    "what's the point in spending £X00 on a body and then put cheap glass on" -
    I'm sure many people, including myself, bought the 300D/Digital Rebel
    because they enjoy using an SLR for the versatility and image qualty but
    wanted a digital version. Not everyone has cash to burn, or makes money
    from their images to support their hobby/business. If you sell your prints,
    then maybe its worth it - but for me and probably many others - its just not
    worth it.

    David
    David Hearn, Nov 24, 2004