sigma 70-200 f/2.8 sharpness wide open

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jullagathotmaildotcom, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. HI photo fans,
    i own a canon 350D (rebel XT on the other side of the atlantic) since
    last november. it came with the supposedly crappy kit lens (18-55mm).
    last week, after reading many positive reviews about this lens i bought
    the sigma ex dg 70-200mm f2.8.
    today i've ran a comparative test: canon ef-s 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 @ 55mm
    vs sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm, at various apertures, on the same
    subject (although obviously at a different distance).
    I've made a collage out of all the (previously cropped) pics i've
    obtained, it's here:
    http://genome.imim.es/~jlagarde/lens_test/collage_sigma_canon.jpg
    (sorry for the lousy layout) (the canon is in the first row, the sigma
    in the three others)

    Conclusion of the test:
    - I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
    images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
    do experts think?
    - my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
    and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
    given its price!

    anyone here uses the sigma 70-200 lens? if so, what do you think? does
    it look like a bad copy (in such case i'd go back to the shop asap to
    get another one if it's possible), or do you get the same kind of
    (disappointing) pictures with yours?

    i'm looking forward to reading your opinions.
    Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
    thanks
    julien

    jullagathotmaildotcom, Apr 8, 2006

  2. jullagathotmaildotcom

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > Conclusion of the test:
    > - I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
    > images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
    > do experts think?
    > - my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
    > and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
    > given its price!

    I have the 350D and the kit lens - I find the kit lens is quite sharp when
    stopped down to f8, but it's a bit slow to focus.

    I bought the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L. It's a lot of money but can be used at
    f2.8: and at f2.8 it's very sharp. It focuses swiftly, gives excellent
    colour saturation, no CA (that I can see) and has a second hand value of
    about 90% of it's new price if you find you don't use it much. Why buy
    anything else?

    You've spent a lot on an excellent body - don't let it down with a cheap
    lens. Also, you will use your lenses on your next body. Don't stint on the
    lenses.

    As for Sigma, I've no experience so I can't help you there.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Apr 8, 2006

  3. jullagathotmaildotcom

    Jim Guest

    It isn't surprising that a canon lens can outperform a sigma lens.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 8, 2006
  4. jullagathotmaildotcom

    Paul J Gans Guest

    jullagathotmaildotcom <> wrote:
    >HI photo fans,
    >i own a canon 350D (rebel XT on the other side of the atlantic) since
    >last november. it came with the supposedly crappy kit lens (18-55mm).
    >last week, after reading many positive reviews about this lens i bought
    >the sigma ex dg 70-200mm f2.8.
    >today i've ran a comparative test: canon ef-s 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 @ 55mm
    >vs sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm, at various apertures, on the same
    >subject (although obviously at a different distance).
    >I've made a collage out of all the (previously cropped) pics i've
    >obtained, it's here:
    >http://genome.imim.es/~jlagarde/lens_test/collage_sigma_canon.jpg
    >(sorry for the lousy layout) (the canon is in the first row, the sigma
    >in the three others)

    >Conclusion of the test:
    >- I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
    >images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
    >do experts think?
    >- my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
    >and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
    >given its price!

    >anyone here uses the sigma 70-200 lens? if so, what do you think? does
    >it look like a bad copy (in such case i'd go back to the shop asap to
    >get another one if it's possible), or do you get the same kind of
    >(disappointing) pictures with yours?

    >i'm looking forward to reading your opinions.
    >Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
    >thanks
    >julien

    Why did you decide that the kit lens was lousy?

    Nobody has ever claimed that it was the equal of a
    Canon "L" lens, but for what it costs it is a very
    credible lens.

    It is reasonably sharp, focuses reasonably rapidly, and
    covers a range roughly equivalent to 28mm to 90mm on a
    35mm camera body, which is a nice "walking around" range.
    And it is reasonably light.

    As with anything else in photography, read reviews, but check
    for yourself, especially on religious issues. There are some
    people who will never like any lens costing less than $1000.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 9, 2006
  5. jullagathotmaildotcom

    Guest

    Recommend a software about Photo Collage to photo fans.
    In my understanding it's powerful and easy to use.

    Wondershare Photo Collage Studio is a digital photo collage utility
    that assembles favorite photos into an artistic compilation. With Photo
    Collage Studio, you can make great photo collages, either quickly and
    easily - with photo frames and special mask effect, or creatively -
    with rich Cliparts and Wordarts to choose from. And each masterpiece
    can be printed over and over again.

    In part of demos at:
    http://www.photo-collage-software.com/other/photo-collage-demo.html
    Download trial version URL:
    http://download.photo-collage-software.com/pcls_trial.exe

    More info please visitor the product's homepage:

    www.photo-collage-software.com

    Good software,Share together! ^_^
    cooline

    , Apr 12, 2006
  6. funny enough i did use a demo version of photocollage to do this and to
    put it VERY mildly i think it's definitely not the most powerful piece
    of software i've ever seen.

    moving pictures around takes about 700MB of RAM (no kidding), which
    makes ANY manipulation cumbersome at the very least
    - the quality of the jpeg output compression is terrible and there's no
    way to set this up.
    - other little annoying things like when adding a text box it's always
    added by default in the upper left corner, and again, no way to modify
    this behaviour; no ruler to align input images in the collage...
    anyway, this is a bit off-topic here in this thread i think
    best,
    julien

    jullagathotmaildotcom, Apr 12, 2006