    images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and the
    price is nice ($399 @ amazon).

    BW
    BWL, Nov 21, 2004

  2. BWL

    Mark² Guest

    "BWL" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
    > it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with

    sharp
    > images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and

    the
    > price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
    >
    > BW

    Mirror lenses are perhaps the worst option for wildlife.
    They have fixed apertures (f8 in this case) which is not only very slow for
    wildlife, but also means you have no control over depth of field.

    Further, mirror lenses produce strange, doughnut-shaped highlights due to
    the mirror device.

    And... At 600mm, she will be hard-pressed to take ANY images that don't
    suffer from camera shake or subject motion blur, sine you won't get fast
    shutter speeds with such a small aperture.

    Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially given
    the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not easy
    to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

    You would be much better off going for a shorter focal length in that price
    range.
    Perhaps consider the Canon 75-300 Image Stabilized lens, for example. With
    IS, she'll be able to capture shots hand-held that look great. While some
    here will comment that it's not as sharp as L lenses, etc., it also doesn't
    cost $1600.

    For a sharper alternative, you might look at the Canon L series lenses
    including the 400mm f5.6.

    Whatever you end up buying for her, I would STRONGLY suggest that you do NOT
    buy this mirror lens. It will likely bring her a great deal of frustration
    and disappointment.

    -Mark
    Mark², Nov 22, 2004

  3. BWL

    fortknight Guest

    The price is nice, but I don't think you are going to find this adds up
    with "long wildlife" photos.

    I think you are going to find that the lens is not fast enough, the
    depth of field not narrow enough to take wildlife photos.

    I suspect this will take some pretty interesting landscape photo's, and
    some interesting telephoto perspective images, but that it is not going
    to satisfy the needs of taking pictures of things that move, or that
    cause the camera to be moved.

    If you are really interested in long wildlife photography, this is one
    specialization where you really want equipment that is designed for the
    task. It is expensive, but considering the effort you are going to go
    through to get the shot, and the standard set by those that have
    invested in the equipment, I sincerly doubt you will be happy with this
    lens.

    fortknight, Nov 22, 2004
  4. BWL

    SkyPilot Guest

    "BWL" <> pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

    >Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
    >it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with sharp
    >images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and the
    >price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
    >
    >BW

    BW,

    I did a google search and found the following:

    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/600_8_mirror

    Also a review:

    http://www.photographyreview.com/pscLenses/35mm,Primes/Sigma/PRD_102976_3111crx.aspx

    Brian
    Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
    Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
    B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
    Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
    Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
    "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
    SkyPilot, Nov 22, 2004
  5. BWL

    Mark² Guest

    "SkyPilot" <> wrote in message
    > "BWL" <> pounded on the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I

    know
    > >it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with

    sharp
    > >images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and

    the
    > >price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
    > >
    > >BW
    > >

    > BW,
    >
    > I did a google search and found the following:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/600_8_mirror
    >
    > Also a review:

    http://www.photographyreview.com/pscLenses/35mm,Primes/Sigma/PRD_102976_3111crx.aspx

    It was nice of Brian to look these up for you, but don't be fooled by the
    (!!!) 4.25 out of 5 rating. What a joke. This is NOT a high quality lens,
    and is downright horrible compared with just about any non-mirror lens.

    Note that most of the sample photos are either blurry, or have awful
    rendition of out-of-focus background elements. The moon is perhaps a better
    application for a mirror lens, simply because there are no background
    features to cause strange doughnut highlights, and it's bright enough and
    moves slowly enough that f8 isn't too slow to be useable.
    Mark², Nov 22, 2004
  6. >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially given
    >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not easy
    >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

    Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
    a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

    All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.
    If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
    save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.

    -Joel
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 22, 2004
  7. "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    > >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially

    given
    > >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not

    easy
    > >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

    > Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
    > a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

    You might want to check that claim first with a DOF calculator, e.g.

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 22, 2004
  8. "David J. Littleboy" <> tried to write:
    > "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    > > >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially

    > given
    > > >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not

    > easy
    > > >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

    > > Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
    > > a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

    > You might want to check that claim first with a DOF calculator, e.g.

    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/dof/hyperfocal2.html

    And then with some experiments. DOF goes down with the square of the focal
    length, and 600's a big number.

    > > All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.

    It doesn't help that AF lenses don't stop at infinity and often don't have a
    DOF scale.

    > > If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
    > > save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.

    But that's definitely worth trying.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 22, 2004
  9. BWL

    Mark² Guest

    > >Finally, a manual focus lens is a big mistake for wildlife, especially

    given
    > >the very capable focus system in the 20D...not to mention that it's not

    easy
    > >to see when focus is sharp by looking through its viewfinder.

    > Here I would disagree. At f/8, it's not hard to get everything beyond
    > a (fairly close) distance in constant focus.

    If you prefer shots of wildlife with no isolation of the subject (using DOF
    limitations), then more power to you. I don't find such shots interesting.

    > All of the AF cameras in use have helped people forget camera basics.
    > If you're shooting wildlife from far away, set your camera to MF and
    > save yourself the nuisance of focus hunting.

    That's great, so long as you only shoot wildlife that sits there motionless.
    -Ever tried to shoot a bird as it flies toward you with MF?
    -Or hand-hold a 600mm lens mounted on a 1.6 crop-factor DSLR...meaning you
    have similar camera-shake effects of a **960mm** lens?? This simply doesn't
    work.
    Add to this that it's a slow f8, and you are guarranteed a blurry mess.

    One other thing to remember is that the focus screens in these DSLRs are
    really not well suited to quick manual focusing on moving subjects. While
    you can do it (and I often do for certainly subjects in certain settings) it
    is difficult to detect with the eye in many cases due to the lack of focus
    screen options.
    Mark², Nov 22, 2004
  10. BWL

    BNE Guest

    "BWL" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone here used the Sigma 600mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens? I know
    > it's not "canon L glass" quality, but is it reasonably well-built with

    sharp
    > images? I am looking for a nice long wildlife telephoto for my 20D, and

    the
    > price is nice ($399 @ amazon).
    >
    > BW

    Hang on, we're talking about a "Sigma" here? Errruukkk!
    BNE, Nov 22, 2004