    regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
    native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be great
    thanks.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Hugo Drax

    AArDvarK Guest

    Get a Tokina ...

    AArDvarK, Jan 31, 2004

  3. "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
    > collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a DSLR
    > regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
    > native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be

    great
    > thanks.

    The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot. Build
    quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
    mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here are
    a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.

    Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796

    600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

    George Preddy, Jan 31, 2004
  4. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
    > > collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a

    DSLR
    > > regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
    > > native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be
    > > great thanks.

    > The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot.

    Build
    > quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
    > mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here

    are
    > a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
    >
    > Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
    >
    > 600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

    One more...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23206378

    George Preddy, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Hugo Drax

    Joe Schmoe Guest

    >The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot. Build
    >quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
    >mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here are
    >a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
    >
    >Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
    >
    >600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

    "Mirrors not as good as glass"? I'm certain that the designers of the
    large scale observatories might disagree with you. This is one of the
    most absurd statements I've seen in a while.

    Joe

    Joe Schmoe, Feb 1, 2004
  6. "Joe Schmoe" <> wrote in message

    > >The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot.

    Build
    > >quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
    > >mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here

    are
    > >a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
    > >
    > >Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
    > >
    > >600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692
    > >

    > "Mirrors not as good as glass"? I'm certain that the designers of the
    > large scale observatories might disagree with you. This is one of the
    > most absurd statements I've seen in a while.

    Are you serious? Have you used them? Post some mirror shots that exceed
    the quality of pro glass. Why do you suppose all lenses aren't mirrors,
    even small ones?

    The reason huge observatories are mirrors is because aperture is dominant
    engineering challenge and design goal, mirrors are much easier to build on
    an enormous scale. Not all that unlike...

    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Images/misc/23_03.gif
    http://www.sigma-photo.com/Images/lenses/300_800.jpg

    George Preddy, Feb 1, 2004
  7. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > > The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot.
    > > Build quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs.

    Here are a few shots of the lens itself, with and without the included 95mm
    screw-on metal hood attached...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/24527700
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23237723
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25692084
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25692097

    SD9 + Sigma 600mm Mirror = $1000

    = 2/3rds the cost of an artifact prone S2 Pro body alone, with no usable RAW
    LCD preview

    George Preddy, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Hugo Drax

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
    > collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a DSLR
    > regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
    > native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be

    great
    > thanks.

    I've owned a Sigma 600mm for a while, and used it with my film EOS. It's a
    pretty good lens and I've had some very good, if rather low contrast,
    results from it. I'm looking forward to using it when I get my D Rebel, so
    I can get the results into PS to see what I can do to make them more snappy
    and sharper.

    Alan D-W, Feb 2, 2004