Sigma 15-30mm on 10D: does the adapter ring cause vignetting?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan F Cross, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross Guest

    Just acquired the Sigma 15-30mm lens for my Canon 10D.

    It has an adapter ring that slips over the 'petalled' lens hood.
    Clearly, for 35mm use, this adapter ring should be removed to prevent
    vignetting of the image (as the instructions state).

    My question is ... can this ring be left in place on a 10D without
    causing vignetting? It would seem that the reduced sensor size might
    allow this. I'd rather keep it in place if possible, as it will make the
    lens hood more effective.

    I've not noticed darkening of the corners yet, but this would depend on
    aperture and focal length set. Has anyone else noticed vignetting, and
    under what circumstances?

    TIA.
    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Dec 16, 2003

  2. "Alan F Cross" <> wrote in message
    > Just acquired the Sigma 15-30mm lens for my Canon 10D.
    >
    > It has an adapter ring that slips over the 'petalled' lens hood.
    > Clearly, for 35mm use, this adapter ring should be removed to prevent
    > vignetting of the image (as the instructions state).
    >
    > My question is ... can this ring be left in place on a 10D without
    > causing vignetting? It would seem that the reduced sensor size might
    > allow this. I'd rather keep it in place if possible, as it will make the
    > lens hood more effective.
    >
    > I've not noticed darkening of the corners yet, but this would depend on
    > aperture and focal length set. Has anyone else noticed vignetting, and
    > under what circumstances?

    It works fine with the ring on the SD9, I'd imagine the 10D should be ok
    too.
    George Preddy, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Alan F Cross

    David Guest

    Because of the "cropping factor" on the 10D, I haven't had problems with
    vignetting with any lens/adapter/hood yet. You'll probably be OK.

    Dave

    David, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Alan F Cross

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Alan F Cross wrote:

    > Just acquired the Sigma 15-30mm lens for my Canon 10D.
    >
    > It has an adapter ring that slips over the 'petalled' lens hood.
    > Clearly, for 35mm use, this adapter ring should be removed to prevent
    > vignetting of the image (as the instructions state).
    >
    > My question is ... can this ring be left in place on a 10D without
    > causing vignetting? It would seem that the reduced sensor size might
    > allow this. I'd rather keep it in place if possible, as it will make the
    > lens hood more effective.
    >
    > I've not noticed darkening of the corners yet, but this would depend on
    > aperture and focal length set. Has anyone else noticed vignetting, and
    > under what circumstances?

    Yes.. I've seen darkening on the corners of a few wide angle shots with my 10D,
    but only a few. It doesn't do it on all of them. I'm guessing I didn't press
    the ring on far enough in these shots.

    With the 10D crop factor, you can get away with the ring in place at the widest
    angle.

    Here's one full sized shot I took using a 10D + Sigma 15-30. The ring was on.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/19390330/large

    P.S.

    Don't even THINK of leaving the ring on if you're planning on using the 15-30
    on a 35mm camera. They aren't lying when they say you have to take it off :)
    The vignetting is very pronounced... The image is framed with a large black
    oval.
    Jim Townsend, Dec 16, 2003
  5. "Jim Townsend" <> wrote:

    > Here's one full sized shot I took using a 10D + Sigma 15-30. The ring was

    on.

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/19390330/large

    Hey! That's nice. Lovely geometry.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Alan F Cross

    Jim Townsend Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > "Jim Townsend" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Here's one full sized shot I took using a 10D + Sigma 15-30. The ring was

    > on.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/19390330/large

    > Hey! That's nice. Lovely geometry.

    Thanks David :)
    Jim Townsend, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Alan F Cross

    John Albert Guest

    Jim Townsend writes:
    << Here's one full sized shot I took using a 10D + Sigma 15-30. The ring
    was on. >>
    <http://www.pbase.com/image/19390330/large>

    I responded in the forum since you left no personal address.

    Just wondering, where was this taken?

    - John
    John Albert, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Alan F Cross

    Vlad Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 8:05:56 -0600, Jim Townsend wrote
    (in message <>):

    > Yes.. I've seen darkening on the corners of a few wide angle shots with my
    > 10D,
    > but only a few. It doesn't do it on all of them. I'm guessing I didn't press
    > the ring on far enough in these shots.
    >
    > With the 10D crop factor, you can get away with the ring in place at the
    > widest
    > angle.
    >
    > Here's one full sized shot I took using a 10D + Sigma 15-30. The ring was
    > on.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/19390330/large
    >

    > P.S.
    >
    > Don't even THINK of leaving the ring on if you're planning on using the 15-30
    > on a 35mm camera. They aren't lying when they say you have to take it off
    > :)
    > The vignetting is very pronounced... The image is framed with a large black
    > oval.

    Many thanks, Jim. I had no idea I could leave that ring on with my 10D.

    Learn something new every day...!

    -Vlad

    --
    Vlad & Genny Kedrovsky