Sigma 10-20 mm DC lens. Opinions please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Davies, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Steve Davies

    Steve Davies Guest

    Hi to all,

    I am looking to get a wide angle lens for my Pentax *istDS.

    Currently have attached a Sigma 28 - 70 EX ( f 2.8 ).

    Thinking of the Sigma 10-20mm DC lens

    http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3301&navigator=6

    I would appreciate any thoughs on this lens or any other lens that is
    similar.

    Local retailer has the Sigma at AUS $780.

    Steve
    Steve Davies, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Steve Davies

    POTD.com.au Guest

    "Steve Davies" <> wrote in message
    > Hi to all,
    >
    > I am looking to get a wide angle lens for my Pentax *istDS.
    >
    > Currently have attached a Sigma 28 - 70 EX ( f 2.8 ).
    >

    > Thinking of the Sigma 10-20mm DC lens
    >
    > http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3301&navigator=6
    >
    > I would appreciate any thoughs on this lens or any other lens that is
    > similar.
    >
    > Local retailer has the Sigma at AUS $780.

    I got mine for $730 from Ted's a couple of months ago, but believe that they
    are to be found a bit cheaper now.

    I absolutely love mine!! and find that I am using it more than any other
    lens in the kit at the moment.... I just love that wide FOV!

    Before purchasing, I made comparison shots with the Canon 10-22 (which gets
    a very good rap!) and found that the Sigma provided better edge to edge
    sharpness and less chromatic aberation.

    Here are some samples to give you an idea.... (I realise that reduced web
    images can hide a lot of defects, but these will show FOV, contrast and
    distortion, while you will have to take my word that the full size versions
    are very sharp)

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SugarMill.jpg

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/MoogerahDam.jpg

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SeawaySunrise4.jpg

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Butcher.jpg

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Freeway.jpg

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/WashDay.jpg

    http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/LandsEnd.jpg
    POTD.com.au, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Steve Davies

    kosh Guest

    POTD.com.au wrote:
    > "Steve Davies" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi to all,
    >>
    >>I am looking to get a wide angle lens for my Pentax *istDS.
    >>
    >>Currently have attached a Sigma 28 - 70 EX ( f 2.8 ).
    >>

    >>Thinking of the Sigma 10-20mm DC lens
    >>
    >>http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3301&navigator=6
    >>
    >>I would appreciate any thoughs on this lens or any other lens that is
    >>similar.
    >>
    >>Local retailer has the Sigma at AUS $780.

    > I got mine for $730 from Ted's a couple of months ago, but believe that they
    > are to be found a bit cheaper now.
    >
    > I absolutely love mine!! and find that I am using it more than any other
    > lens in the kit at the moment.... I just love that wide FOV!
    >
    > Before purchasing, I made comparison shots with the Canon 10-22 (which gets
    > a very good rap!) and found that the Sigma provided better edge to edge
    > sharpness and less chromatic aberation.
    >
    > Here are some samples to give you an idea.... (I realise that reduced web
    > images can hide a lot of defects, but these will show FOV, contrast and
    > distortion, while you will have to take my word that the full size versions
    > are very sharp)
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SugarMill.jpg
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/MoogerahDam.jpg
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SeawaySunrise4.jpg
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Butcher.jpg
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Freeway.jpg
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/WashDay.jpg
    >
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/LandsEnd.jpg

    some very nice shots! Very strong images. In regard to the lens test
    however, a bit hard to tell with such lo-res. any chance of an enlargemt
    of a corner to give an idea of sharpness ?

    or perhaps a high res shot... though understandable if not... it would
    be snatched in no time!

    kosh
    kosh, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Steve Davies

    POTD.com.au Guest

    "kosh" <> wrote in message
    > POTD.com.au wrote:
    >> "Steve Davies" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi to all,
    >>>
    >>>I am looking to get a wide angle lens for my Pentax *istDS.
    >>>
    >>>Currently have attached a Sigma 28 - 70 EX ( f 2.8 ).
    >>>

    >>>Thinking of the Sigma 10-20mm DC lens
    >>>
    >>>http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3301&navigator=6
    >>>
    >>>I would appreciate any thoughs on this lens or any other lens that is
    >>>similar.
    >>>
    >>>Local retailer has the Sigma at AUS $780.

    >> I got mine for $730 from Ted's a couple of months ago, but believe that
    >> they are to be found a bit cheaper now.
    >>
    >> I absolutely love mine!! and find that I am using it more than any other
    >> lens in the kit at the moment.... I just love that wide FOV!
    >>
    >> Before purchasing, I made comparison shots with the Canon 10-22 (which
    >> gets a very good rap!) and found that the Sigma provided better edge to
    >> edge sharpness and less chromatic aberation.
    >>
    >> Here are some samples to give you an idea.... (I realise that reduced web
    >> images can hide a lot of defects, but these will show FOV, contrast and
    >> distortion, while you will have to take my word that the full size
    >> versions are very sharp)
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SugarMill.jpg
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/MoogerahDam.jpg
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SeawaySunrise4.jpg
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Butcher.jpg
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Freeway.jpg
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/WashDay.jpg
    >>
    >> http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/LandsEnd.jpg
    >>

    > some very nice shots! Very strong images. In regard to the lens test
    > however, a bit hard to tell with such lo-res. any chance of an enlargemt
    > of a corner to give an idea of sharpness ?
    >
    > or perhaps a high res shot... though understandable if not... it would be
    > snatched in no time!
    >
    > kosh

    Here is a 1/2 frame (portrait orientation) at full res of a similar shot. I
    picked this one since it has lots of subject detail & contrast in the
    corner.

    It was shot at 10mm, f11 @ 1/125 on 20D and processed from RAW using Canon
    DPP with RAW sharpness set to 0 and JPEG sharpening set to 200. (This is
    about my normal level of sharpening regardless of lens used) No additional
    adjustments were made in Photoshop.

    Being a full width 1/2 frame it will give you the chance to see center
    sharpness as well.

    WARNING..... File Size aprox. 1.1 Mb

    http://www.potd.com.au/samples/10-20_CROP_SHARPNESS200.jpg

    Cheers

    Rusty
    POTD.com.au, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Steve Davies

    kosh Guest

    POTD.com.au wrote:
    > "kosh" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>POTD.com.au wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Steve Davies" <> wrote in message

    >>>I got mine for $730 from Ted's a couple of months ago, but believe that
    >>>they are to be found a bit cheaper now.
    >>>
    >>>I absolutely love mine!! and find that I am using it more than any other
    >>>lens in the kit at the moment.... I just love that wide FOV!
    >>>
    >>>Before purchasing, I made comparison shots with the Canon 10-22 (which
    >>>gets a very good rap!) and found that the Sigma provided better edge to
    >>>edge sharpness and less chromatic aberation.
    >>>
    >>>Here are some samples to give you an idea.... (I realise that reduced web
    >>>images can hide a lot of defects, but these will show FOV, contrast and
    >>>distortion, while you will have to take my word that the full size
    >>>versions are very sharp)
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SugarMill.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/MoogerahDam.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/SeawaySunrise4.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Butcher.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Freeway.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/WashDay.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/LandsEnd.jpg
    >>>

    >>some very nice shots! Very strong images. In regard to the lens test
    >>however, a bit hard to tell with such lo-res. any chance of an enlargemt
    >>of a corner to give an idea of sharpness ?
    >>
    >>or perhaps a high res shot... though understandable if not... it would be
    >>snatched in no time!
    >>
    >>kosh

    > Here is a 1/2 frame (portrait orientation) at full res of a similar shot. I
    > picked this one since it has lots of subject detail & contrast in the
    > corner.
    >
    > It was shot at 10mm, f11 @ 1/125 on 20D and processed from RAW using Canon
    > DPP with RAW sharpness set to 0 and JPEG sharpening set to 200. (This is
    > about my normal level of sharpening regardless of lens used) No additional
    > adjustments were made in Photoshop.
    >
    > Being a full width 1/2 frame it will give you the chance to see center
    > sharpness as well.
    >
    > WARNING..... File Size aprox. 1.1 Mb
    >
    > http://www.potd.com.au/samples/10-20_CROP_SHARPNESS200.jpg
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rusty

    might need to lok a bit deeper into this... a 10-22 has been tempting me
    till now.
    When you compared, did you notice any distinct differences with field
    curvature? The 10-22 seemed somewhat rectilinear.

    kosh
    kosh, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Steve Davies

    POTD.com.au Guest

    "kosh" <> wrote in message
    > POTD.com.au wrote:
    >> "kosh" <> wrote in message

    >>>some very nice shots! Very strong images. In regard to the lens test
    >>>however, a bit hard to tell with such lo-res. any chance of an enlargemt
    >>>of a corner to give an idea of sharpness ?
    >>>
    >>>or perhaps a high res shot... though understandable if not... it would be
    >>>snatched in no time!
    >>>
    >>>kosh

    >> Here is a 1/2 frame (portrait orientation) at full res of a similar shot.
    >> I picked this one since it has lots of subject detail & contrast in the
    >> corner.
    >>
    >> It was shot at 10mm, f11 @ 1/125 on 20D and processed from RAW using
    >> Canon DPP with RAW sharpness set to 0 and JPEG sharpening set to 200.
    >> (This is about my normal level of sharpening regardless of lens used) No
    >> additional adjustments were made in Photoshop.
    >>
    >> Being a full width 1/2 frame it will give you the chance to see center
    >> sharpness as well.
    >>
    >> WARNING..... File Size aprox. 1.1 Mb
    >>
    >> http://www.potd.com.au/samples/10-20_CROP_SHARPNESS200.jpg
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Rusty

    > might need to lok a bit deeper into this... a 10-22 has been tempting me
    > till now.

    Do..... being that the Sigma is cheaper too, you may just come home with one
    after your first play! ;)

    > When you compared, did you notice any distinct differences with field
    > curvature?

    No, in this area they were pretty much the same.
    POTD.com.au, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Steve Davies

    Steve Davies Guest

    In article <DAfvf.191034$>,
    "POTD.com.au" <> wrote:

    ___Do..... being that the Sigma is cheaper too, you may just come home with one
    ___after your first play! ;)
    ___
    ___> When you compared, did you notice any distinct differences with field
    ___> curvature?
    ___
    ___No, in this area they were pretty much the same.

    Thanks for the shots,( and opinions ) fantastic to look at.

    I need a wide for landscape shots when out hiking etc.

    I will definitely have a closer look at this lens ( and talk to the bank
    manager ).

    Up until recently this was only available for Canon, Nikon etc.

    Now mount is available for Pentax it will certainly get serious
    consideration

    Also looking at Sigma 105mm Macro ( MTF looks prety good ) for ' studio'
    work

    http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3253&navigator=5

    Steve
    Steve Davies, Jan 6, 2006