    D100/D70?
    Is the upgrade worthwhile if, as with the vast majority of amateur uses, one
    rarely prints greater than 8.5 x 11 inches?

    bmoag, Jul 23, 2006

  2. bmoag

    Roy G Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    news:nsNwg.134023$...
    > All things being equal is the upcoming Nikon 10mp replacement for the D70
    > wothwhile on the basis of pixel count alone? Is it worth putting away
    > one's D70 or relegating it to back-up body status?
    > Is there likely to be a significant increase in image quality if the
    > dynamic range of the sensor, as in the D200, is not significantly better
    > than the D100/D70?
    > Is the upgrade worthwhile if, as with the vast majority of amateur uses,
    > one rarely prints greater than 8.5 x 11 inches?

    Hi.

    It is a difficult judgement.

    The 10Mp sensor will be roughly 4000 x 2600, compared to the existing 6Mp of
    3000 x 2000.

    Printing at 300ppi we get 10inch on the long side for 6Mp and 13 inch for
    the proposed 10Mp. Not a huge difference, but still a significant 30%.
    Assuming my arithmetic is correct, and that can be quite an assumption.

    If the Camera has some more options than the original D70 and the D70s, it
    might be worthwhile upgrading, if the price hike is not too steep.

    I would suspect that there may not be too many new options, otherwise who
    would buy the D200. So we need not expect it to have the ability to meter
    with Ai lenses.

    We will just have to wait and see, and then wait and wait for stocks to
    become reasonable, and perhaps even wait a bit longer for that initial price
    to drop down a bit.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jul 23, 2006

  3. bmoag

    k-man Guest

    If you're not worrying about enlarging pics to larger than a sheet of
    8.5 X 11, don't worry about upgrading. Only if this new camera
    provides other features that you really need and can't do on the D70
    should you bother upgrading (well, unless of course you don't mind
    spending dough on stuff you don't need -- or unless you can dump your
    D70 and get this new camera at, say $100 more (who knows... we don't
    know yet how much this thing's going to cost)). The D200 (and other
    cameras using that sensor) might be less noisy than the D70/D70s. But,
    other than that, image quality won't improve. If you want to improve
    image quality, get the expensive lenses and know how to use them. I
    have a D70s and have been craving the D200 even before it was released
    but I still haven't been able to truly justify getting it. I like the
    higher frame rate, the durable, sealed casing, the slighly bigger
    viewfinder, etc. But I really haven't had a use for those yet. So I
    haven't gotten it. I put some money into some decent lenses instead.

    Kevin

    k-man, Jul 23, 2006