Sigh. Daemon Tools goes commercial or Adware only

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:21:33 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >No way will they EVER see a dime from me,

    Block it from accessing the outside world?

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 23, 2007

  3. I don't have a problem with programs that are commercial. But "free"
    programs that suddenly add in special search bars to your browser and that
    pump ads to your machine are simply malware. When you can easily opt out,
    _and it's clear up front how to do that_, I can just barely tolerate it.
    When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:00:54 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >When the malware is mandatory? Sorry, that crosses the line.

    It does. But unless you have problems, there would be no reason that you
    have to upgrade to the newer versions with "forced" adware. I reckon we
    will soon see other CD/DVD-emulators pop-up, made under GPL, by the people
    who hate this action by the DT-people.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Sep 23, 2007
  5. Jud:
    Here's a good place to start the search of another alternative.
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/dvdcdemulators.shtml
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 23, 2007
  6. Here's a freeware one:
    http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm
    with Vista x64 support
    http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm
    http://www.magicdisc.net/setup_magicdisc79.exe
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 23, 2007
  7. > The first sign of evil was the "search bar" that was automatically
    > included if you didn't pay attention. But now they've made it mandatory
    > for the Basic (free) version. No way will they EVER see a dime from me,
    > and I'll now have to find an alternative to this useful utility that ran
    > quite well in x64.

    I've just gone to the download page, and still see 4.10 (which doesn't force
    it).

    ?!

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 23, 2007
  8. I have a paid copy of MagicISO. Unfortunately, it's pretty flakey on 64bit.
    Not sure why, or what the issue is, but I've pretty much stopped using it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  9. 4.10 Lite is on the DL page. The last version that doesn't force it for the
    full product is 4.09.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  10. There are some others, just none I liked nearly as much as Daemon. Many of
    the others are, at best, flakey. I _just_ need the ability to mount DVD/CD
    ISOs as drive letters. Preferably with a graphical interface, since I'm lazy
    and can't be bothered with learning a command line for this, even though I
    do command line for many, many things.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  11. > 4.10 Lite is on the DL page. The last version that doesn't force it for
    > the full product is 4.09.

    From http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5,
    under "Daemon Tools Lite 4.10 x86":

    "This version has an option to install client-side software applications
    (DAEMON Tools Searchbar and Save Now) that [...]"

    Note "option".

    I've just downloaded and installed it in a clean VM on VirtualPC. At the
    Select Components screen in the install wizard, I've removed the 'Daemon
    Tools Search Bar' checkbox and proceeded as usual.

    For good measure, I installed Ad-Aware, let it update itself, and did a
    scan. So far, I'm not seeing any more evidence of crapware than in any
    previous version...

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 23, 2007
  12. Hmmm. The feature set for Lite looks like significantly less than previous
    free versions. But if it at least works, and doesn't require it, that's
    good. But honestly, they've reached my gag point. I'm actively looking for
    alternatives.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2007
  13. > Hmmm. The feature set for Lite looks like significantly less than previous
    > free versions. But if it at least works, and doesn't require it, that's
    > good. But honestly, they've reached my gag point. I'm actively looking for
    > alternatives.

    "Feature set".

    Well, it mounts ISOs, I can tell it not to install crap, it's free and it
    doesn't make my machine crash. It still fits the bill for me.

    But you're right, the nanosecond it forces me to install spyware, it'll get
    purged and it won't get a second chance.

    Homer J. Simpson, Sep 23, 2007
  14. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Ken Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    > Hmmm. The feature set for Lite looks like significantly less than
    > previous free versions. But if it at least works, and doesn't require
    > it, that's good. But honestly, they've reached my gag point. I'm
    > actively looking for alternatives.

    I use UltraIso. It's not free and is a full featured program for editing
    and creating iso files. It has an iso mounting shell that is not at all
    flakey. The Daemon Tools program was especially suited for use with
    protected game CDs. UltraIso does not do protection circumvention.

    http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

    Ken

    Ken, Sep 28, 2007
  15. thanks