"SIGH"....Best Buy Employees

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tony soprano, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Tony soprano

    Tony soprano Guest

    I stop in at Best Buy today to pick up the new releases.

    There aren't any copies of Whole Ten Yards with the new releases. I check
    the alphabetized racks and find about 10 copies of the Full Screen Version.

    I ask a girl who works that dept where the WS versions are. She offers to
    check the computer.

    She proceeds to pull up the Best Buy website. Like I couldn't have done that
    myself.

    She does a search and it brings back both versions and she clicks on the WS
    one and it doesn't give any details. It does however say "in stock ships in
    2-3 days"

    She then goes back and clicks on the FS version. It gives all the details
    like running time, rating etc. She then trys to tell me, "they only released
    it in FS"

    I tell her no, go back a page. She does then I show her that both versions
    are available.

    Then she says, " If it's not a very big title they will only order the FS
    cause that's what everyone wants."

    I said " Wrong, Everyone doesn't want FS. I want WS not the butchered
    version." She then says, "Yeah I like WS too." I'll check in the back.

    She then disappears never to be seen again.

    So I am standing there looking pretty dumbfounded than another employee
    stops and offers to help.

    I explain what transpired and he says let me check. We go over to the racks
    and he is unable to find one so he asks the guy who stocked the shelves. He
    said they might be in back, there wasn't much space on the rack so he only
    put a few out.

    As we were walking toward the back he tells me that whenever that particular
    guy stocks , he always puts out only the FS cause that is what he likes.

    This whole series of events just annoyed the hell out of me and I needed to
    vent.

    T.
    --
    "Logout, that cookie shit makes me nervous!" - Tony Soprano

    Tony soprano, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Tony soprano wrote:
    > I stop in at Best Buy today to pick up the new releases.
    >
    > There aren't any copies of Whole Ten Yards with the new releases. I
    > check the alphabetized racks and find about 10 copies of the Full
    > Screen Version.

    Read the lastest editorial on widescreen.org. He observed a very simular
    thing in regards of "Return Of The King." Folks, it was a matter of time
    before places like BBY would pick up on the Wal-Mart mentality of
    DVD selling (shelve five times as many P&S copies and hire people who
    obviously can't tell the difference between the two, or prefere P&S).

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Maybe it was all disdain for a person trying to buy The Whole Ten Yards.

    --

    "The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows; it is what
    a man or woman is able to do that counts."

    --Booker T. Washington

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Tony soprano

    Tarkus Guest

    On 7/27/2004 12:21:39 PM, Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > Tony soprano wrote:
    >> I stop in at Best Buy today to pick up the new releases.
    >>
    >> There aren't any copies of Whole Ten Yards with the new releases. I
    >> check the alphabetized racks and find about 10 copies of the Full
    >> Screen Version.

    > Read the lastest editorial on widescreen.org. He observed a very simular
    > thing in regards of "Return Of The King." Folks, it was a matter of time
    > before places like BBY would pick up on the Wal-Mart mentality of
    > DVD selling (shelve five times as many P&S copies and hire people who
    > obviously can't tell the difference between the two, or prefere P&S).

    It should be noted that every store is different. I doubt if this is
    corporate policy, but rather the policy of the store managers and/or
    individual employees. I've seen no such problem locally (Vegas).
    --
    "Klaatu borada nikto."

    Now playing: "12 - Demon's Eye [Remix '96]"

    Tarkus, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Tony soprano

    luminos Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe it was all disdain for a person trying to buy The Whole Ten Yards.

    I doubt it. They will probably place large quantities of Catwoman special
    deluxe WS edition out when it arrives.

    luminos, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Tony soprano

    Yazandtony Guest

    My Best Buy here in southern New Mexico has pretty good employees, chances are
    it was just yours. Oh, and like someone said, chances are they were giving you
    a hard time because of the movie you wanted. I think they were caught off guard
    someone actually wanted it...

    Yazandtony, Jul 27, 2004
  7. luminos wrote:
    > I doubt it. They will probably place large quantities of Catwoman special
    > deluxe WS edition out when it arrives.

    Heh, I used to work at a place, let's call it Best Purchase, and I had
    to laugh every Tuesday when some total box-office turd would get the
    sweetest spot right in front of the door. Some movies, I just don't
    know why they even bother with a home video release. You can't tell me
    Gigli sells any better than The Magnificent Ambersons would.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 27, 2004
  8. Tony soprano

    Shinner Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in

    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    >> Maybe it was all disdain for a person trying to buy The Whole Ten
    >> Yards.

    > I doubt it. They will probably place large quantities of Catwoman
    > special deluxe WS edition out when it arrives.

    Hey, if they could make space for the "super special extra horny" Showgirls
    boxset..... :)

    Shinner, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Tony soprano

    argo Guest

    speaking of that, I am thinking about getting that boxset, any thing good
    out of that set?

    argo, Jul 27, 2004
  10. Tony soprano

    el stinky Guest

    el stinky, Jul 27, 2004
  11. Tony soprano

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >> I doubt it. They will probably place large quantities of Catwoman
    >> special
    >> deluxe WS edition out when it arrives.

    > Heh, I used to work at a place, let's call it Best Purchase, and I had to
    > laugh every Tuesday when some total box-office turd would get the sweetest
    > spot right in front of the door. Some movies, I just don't know why they
    > even bother with a home video release. You can't tell me Gigli sells any
    > better than The Magnificent Ambersons would.

    Two words:

    SLOTTING

    FEES

    In most any major retail environment, companies pay to have placement in the
    stores - or at least preferred placement like that. You'll never see it at
    the store level, but at the corporate level, you better believe the company
    got their palm greased to put those turds on prominent display.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Tony soprano

    Murder Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in

    >>> I doubt it. They will probably place large quantities of Catwoman
    >>> special
    >>> deluxe WS edition out when it arrives.

    >> Heh, I used to work at a place, let's call it Best Purchase, and I
    >> had to laugh every Tuesday when some total box-office turd would get
    >> the sweetest spot right in front of the door. Some movies, I just
    >> don't know why they even bother with a home video release. You can't
    >> tell me Gigli sells any better than The Magnificent Ambersons would.

    > Two words:
    >
    > SLOTTING
    >
    > FEES
    >
    > In most any major retail environment, companies pay to have placement
    > in the stores - or at least preferred placement like that. You'll
    > never see it at the store level, but at the corporate level, you
    > better believe the company got their palm greased to put those turds
    > on prominent display.
    >
    > Mike Jackson
    > Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    > www.dvdverdict.com

    Ah! So that's why they carry eighty copies of Gothika! The scum...

    --
    "There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
    than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."

    Murder, Jul 28, 2004
  13. Tony soprano

    Shinner Guest

    "argo" <askme> wrote in news:4106ca21$:

    > speaking of that, I am thinking about getting that boxset, any thing good
    > out of that set?

    Didn't see the price tag but considering I wouldn't spend $5 on the
    original release (though me and the missus did get sucked into the NC17
    hysteria when it was in theaters), I don't think I'll be buying the box
    set.

    Shinner, Jul 28, 2004
  14. Tarkus wrote:
    > It should be noted that every store is different. I doubt if this is
    > corporate policy, but rather the policy of the store managers and/or
    > individual employees. I've seen no such problem locally (Vegas).

    While you are right on this, you know there are bound to be
    less than educated employees who think that FS = the entire
    movie. I've worked with a few people like this before, but
    trust me - they didn't stay that way for long around me. :)

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Yazandtony wrote:
    > My Best Buy here in southern New Mexico has pretty good employees,
    > chances are it was just yours. Oh, and like someone said, chances are
    > they were giving you a hard time because of the movie you wanted. I
    > think they were caught off guard someone actually wanted it...

    There are films far worse that I would be caught off guard if
    someone was wanting it. Gigli anyone?

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 28, 2004
  16. argo wrote:
    > speaking of that, I am thinking about getting that boxset, any thing
    > good out of that set?

    Well... all the extras like the cards and such look cool. But at $25
    it is an expensive gag gift, and I wouldn't want to torture someone
    with the idea of being stuck with such a bad "movie" like that.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 28, 2004
  17. Tony soprano

    Galley Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:37:50 -0400, "Tony soprano" <>
    spewed forth these words of wisdom:

    >I stop in at Best Buy today to pick up the new releases.
    >
    >There aren't any copies of Whole Ten Yards with the new releases. I check
    >the alphabetized racks and find about 10 copies of the Full Screen Version.
    >
    >I ask a girl who works that dept where the WS versions are. She offers to
    >check the computer.
    >
    >She proceeds to pull up the Best Buy website. Like I couldn't have done that
    >myself.

    You should've known better when she pulled up the Best Buy website, rather than
    the store's inventory software.
    I had a problem finding "The Meaning Of Life" a few weeks go when it was part of
    the 3 for $20 deal. The store inventory showed five, and the girl didn't stop
    looking until she found them. They were next to the register. :)

    Galley

    Galley, Jul 28, 2004
  18. Tony soprano

    Tarkus Guest

    On 7/27/2004 10:03:33 PM, Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > argo wrote:
    >> speaking of that, I am thinking about getting that boxset, any thing
    >> good out of that set?

    > Well... all the extras like the cards and such look cool. But at $25
    > it is an expensive gag gift, and I wouldn't want to torture someone
    > with the idea of being stuck with such a bad "movie" like that.

    Hey, it's anamorphic now. :)
    --
    "Klaatu borada n... necktie... nickel... It's an "N" word, it's
    definitely an "N" word!"

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Jul 28, 2004
  19. Tarkus wrote:
    > Hey, it's anamorphic now. :)

    Guess that really saves this sorry film now doesn't it! ;-)

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Tony soprano

    Eric R. Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Folks, it was a matter of time
    > before places like BBY would pick up on the Wal-Mart mentality of
    > DVD selling (shelve five times as many P&S copies and hire people who
    > obviously can't tell the difference between the two, or prefere P&S).

    Yeah, but people have been saying that since 1997. And it still hasn't
    happened. And with HDTV and widescreen TV's become cheaper and more
    popular, it seems a lot less likely today than it was then.

    And the last time I checked, widescreen versions still outsell P&S
    copies of the same movie by a pretty wide margin at most retailers. In
    fact, if you go over to Amazon.com you'll see that the widescreen
    edition of the Star Wars trilogy is ranked 4th in sales, and the
    fullscreen edition is ranked 157th.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jul 28, 2004