Sig help (again)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Rowland Croucher, Apr 7, 2007.

  1. Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > David Simpson wrote:
    >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 21:26:46 +1000, Rowland Croucher
    >> <> typed furiously:
    >>
    >>> Oh... something else... Do you use Thunderbird? Would you ( or

    someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your sig
    established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of combinations
    and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx

    >> 1. Prepare a text file with your .sig. Don't forget that the first
    >> line should consist of two dashes and one space followed by a carriage
    >> return. Careful, some editors remove trailing spaces. Put it somewhere
    >> safe. Remember the location.
    >>
    >> 2. In TBird go to Tools -> Account Settings.
    >> Highlight the name of the account and set the Default Identity to use
    >> the previously created file as Attach this signature. You can browse
    >> to it with the [Choose] button if needed.
    >>
    >> All done.

    > Thanks... reward in the after-life for you... I'll try it again

    (following again and again and again)...

    Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and goes
    :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).

    I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.

    When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?

    I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default where
    it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)

    I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am not
    normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I know
    nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)

    --

    Shalom! Rowland Croucher
    http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ (20,000 articles 4000 humor)
    Rowland Croucher, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > > David Simpson wrote:
    > >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 21:26:46 +1000, Rowland Croucher
    > >> <> typed furiously:

    > someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your sig
    > established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of combinations
    > and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx
    > >>
    > >> 1. Prepare a text file with your .sig. Don't forget that the first
    > >> line should consist of two dashes and one space followed by a carriage
    > >> return. Careful, some editors remove trailing spaces. Put it somewhere
    > >> safe. Remember the location.
    > >>
    > >> 2. In TBird go to Tools -> Account Settings.
    > >> Highlight the name of the account and set the Default Identity to use
    > >> the previously created file as Attach this signature. You can browse
    > >> to it with the [Choose] button if needed.
    > >>
    > >> All done.

    > > Thanks... reward in the after-life for you... I'll try it again

    > (following again and again and again)...
    >
    > Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and goes
    > :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).
    >
    > I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    > times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.
    >
    > When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?
    >
    > I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default where
    > it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)
    >
    > I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am not
    > normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I know
    > nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)

    You are correct, TB will add the sig delimiter, there is no need to
    place it in your sig file.

    Adding a sig is on an account by account basis. If you always want the
    same sig, you must add it in each account. If you want different sigs
    for each account, or none for certain accounts, you can do that too.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 7, 2007

  3. Rowland Croucher

    SteveG Guest

    Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > > David Simpson wrote:
    > >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 21:26:46 +1000, Rowland Croucher
    > >> <> typed furiously:

    > someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your sig
    > established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of combinations
    > and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx
    > >>
    > >> 1. Prepare a text file with your .sig. Don't forget that the first
    > >> line should consist of two dashes and one space followed by a carriage
    > >> return. Careful, some editors remove trailing spaces. Put it somewhere
    > >> safe. Remember the location.
    > >>
    > >> 2. In TBird go to Tools -> Account Settings.
    > >> Highlight the name of the account and set the Default Identity to use
    > >> the previously created file as Attach this signature. You can browse
    > >> to it with the [Choose] button if needed.
    > >>
    > >> All done.

    > > Thanks... reward in the after-life for you... I'll try it again

    > (following again and again and again)...
    >
    > Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and goes
    > :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).
    >
    > I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    > times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.
    >
    > When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?
    >
    > I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default where
    > it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)
    >
    > I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am not
    > normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I know
    > nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)

    Okay, just a quick thought. Are you composing emails as plain text or
    HTML? I ask because whilst the method you have already been given works
    for plain text messages it doesn't if you send messages in HTML.

    AFAIK you can simply save a copy of your text sig file with an .HTM
    extender ... but I could be wrong :)

    HTH

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Apr 7, 2007
  4. SteveG wrote:
    > Rowland Croucher wrote:
    >> Rowland Croucher wrote:

    >> someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your sig
    >> established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of
    >> combinations and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx

    >> carriage

    >> somewhere

    >> > Thanks... reward in the after-life for you... I'll try it again

    >> (following again and again and again)...
    >>
    >> Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and
    >> goes :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).
    >>
    >> I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    >> times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.
    >>
    >> When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?
    >>
    >> I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default
    >> where it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)
    >>
    >> I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am
    >> not normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I
    >> know nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)
    >>

    > Okay, just a quick thought. Are you composing emails as plain text or
    > HTML? I ask because whilst the method you have already been given works
    > for plain text messages it doesn't if you send messages in HTML.
    >
    > AFAIK you can simply save a copy of your text sig file with an .HTM
    > extender ... but I could be wrong :)
    >
    > HTH

    No, mails sent in HTML and viewed in HTMl still show text file sigs.
    there is no problem there.

    You can set sig files in HTML format, but those viewing in plain text
    will still see only the plain text, no html formating or images.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 8, 2007
  5. SteveG wrote:
    > Rowland Croucher wrote:
    >> Rowland Croucher wrote:

    >> someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your sig
    >> established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of
    >> combinations and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx

    >> carriage

    >> somewhere

    >> > Thanks... reward in the after-life for you... I'll try it again

    >> (following again and again and again)...
    >>
    >> Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and
    >> goes :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).
    >>
    >> I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    >> times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.
    >>
    >> When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?
    >>
    >> I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default
    >> where it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)
    >>
    >> I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am
    >> not normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I
    >> know nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)
    >>

    > Okay, just a quick thought. Are you composing emails as plain text or
    > HTML? I ask because whilst the method you have already been given works
    > for plain text messages it doesn't if you send messages in HTML.
    >
    > AFAIK you can simply save a copy of your text sig file with an .HTM
    > extender ... but I could be wrong :)
    >
    > HTH

    Hey, it sure *DOES*. It works! Now why didn't anyone else suggest that?
    (We all need a crash course in 'How to Write for Dummies')

    Thank you SteveG - reward in the after-life for you (See my website to
    find out how to claim it) :)

    * Rowland Croucher *, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Rowland Croucher

    SteveG Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > SteveG wrote:
    >> Rowland Croucher wrote:

    >>> someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your
    >>> sig established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of
    >>> combinations and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx

    >>> carriage
    >>> somewhere

    >>> use

    >>> (following again and again and again)...
    >>>
    >>> Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and
    >>> goes :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).
    >>>
    >>> I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    >>> times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.
    >>>
    >>> When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?
    >>>
    >>> I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default
    >>> where it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)
    >>>
    >>> I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am
    >>> not normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I
    >>> know nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)
    >>>

    >> Okay, just a quick thought. Are you composing emails as plain text or
    >> HTML? I ask because whilst the method you have already been given
    >> works for plain text messages it doesn't if you send messages in HTML.
    >>
    >> AFAIK you can simply save a copy of your text sig file with an .HTM
    >> extender ... but I could be wrong :)
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > No, mails sent in HTML and viewed in HTMl still show text file sigs.
    > there is no problem there.

    SG: That's certainly not my experience, Lee

    --
    Regards

    Steve G
    SteveG, Apr 8, 2007
  7. SteveG wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> SteveG wrote:

    >>> Okay, just a quick thought. Are you composing emails as plain text or
    >>> HTML? I ask because whilst the method you have already been given
    >>> works for plain text messages it doesn't if you send messages in HTML.
    >>>
    >>> AFAIK you can simply save a copy of your text sig file with an .HTM
    >>> extender ... but I could be wrong :)
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >> No, mails sent in HTML and viewed in HTMl still show text file sigs.
    >> there is no problem there.

    > SG: That's certainly not my experience, Lee
    >

    >> You can set sig files in HTML format, but those viewing in plain text
    >> will still see only the plain text, no html formating or images.
    >>
    >> Lee

    I just tested, added a sig file in .txt format, composed in html, sent
    myself the message, the sig appeared exactly as intended on both ends.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Apr 9, 2007
  8. Rowland Croucher

    Doug G Guest

    Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > Rowland Croucher wrote:
    > > David Simpson wrote:
    > >> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 21:26:46 +1000, Rowland Croucher
    > >> <> typed furiously:

    > someone else here) like to explain, step by step, how you got your sig
    > established? I did it for news, and have tried all sorts of combinations
    > and can't replicate it in mail... Thanx
    > >>
    > >> 1. Prepare a text file with your .sig. Don't forget that the first
    > >> line should consist of two dashes and one space followed by a carriage
    > >> return. Careful, some editors remove trailing spaces. Put it somewhere
    > >> safe. Remember the location.
    > >>
    > >> 2. In TBird go to Tools -> Account Settings.
    > >> Highlight the name of the account and set the Default Identity to use
    > >> the previously created file as Attach this signature. You can browse
    > >> to it with the [Choose] button if needed.
    > >>
    > >> All done.

    > > Thanks... reward in the after-life for you... I'll try it again

    > (following again and again and again)...
    >
    > Did it again... still not much joy. I fiddle and the sig comes and goes
    > :-( I had a sig in mail, and lost it again).
    >
    > I have three accounts - news, and two mail accounts. Do I do it three
    > times? (Tried 'em all). The 'default server' option doesn't do anything.
    >
    > When the 'save as' gives options of ansi etc. does that matter?
    >
    > I did the two dashes and got 'em twice. T'Bird must have a default where
    > it does that automatically... (See below after I fixed it)
    >
    > I have seven tertiary qualifications (admittedly humanities) and am not
    > normally this dumb. Thanks for *detailed* help, anyone (assume I know
    > nothing and you'll be close to the mark :)

    Signature extension:
    Doug G, Apr 9, 2007