Siemens Gigaset S685IP and VOIP problems

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Lobster, Sep 28, 2008.

  1. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    I've posted here previously about getting the above to work properly -
    had a fair amount of teething trouble and TBH am regretting the purchase
    - probably more hi-tech than I needed I think. Anyway...

    I'm using (or trying to) with Sipgate, via a Linksys WRT54G router. It
    originally worked fine (once I'd sussed I needed to open port 5060 on
    the router!), but for some reason (probably due to me having fiddled
    with something?) it hasn't worked for several weeks despite all my
    efforts - the phone just says "No IP Connection".

    Things I've checked:

    Logging into the computer interface (http://192.168.1.101/login.html),
    under 'Telephony' I can see that Sipgate is registered and active. I
    can use my Sipgate account fine via a softphone on my laptop, too.

    It's set to automatic IP address assignment.

    The router has port 5060 open. (I'm not at all clued up on this side of
    things; however it looks OK; and certainly I've got ubittorent
    configured OK!)

    Any suggestions as to what else I can/should check?

    Thanks
    David

    Lobster, Sep 28, 2008

  2. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Lobster wrote :
    >> I've posted here previously about getting the above to work properly -
    >> had a fair amount of teething trouble and TBH am regretting the
    >> purchase - probably more hi-tech than I needed I think. Anyway...
    >>
    >> I'm using (or trying to) with Sipgate, via a Linksys WRT54G router.
    >> It originally worked fine (once I'd sussed I needed to open port 5060
    >> on the router!), but for some reason (probably due to me having
    >> fiddled with something?) it hasn't worked for several weeks despite
    >> all my efforts - the phone just says "No IP Connection".
    >>
    >> Things I've checked:
    >>
    >> Logging into the computer interface (http://192.168.1.101/login.html),
    >> under 'Telephony' I can see that Sipgate is registered and active. I
    >> can use my Sipgate account fine via a softphone on my laptop, too.
    >>
    >> It's set to automatic IP address assignment.
    >>
    >> The router has port 5060 open. (I'm not at all clued up on this side
    >> of things; however it looks OK; and certainly I've got ubittorent
    >> configured OK!)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to what else I can/should check?

    > I would say you may need more than just port 5060 opening. I have UDP
    > ports 5060-5069 & 10000-20000.

    Well, dunno... I'm sure I only had 5060 opened when it was working
    before. In my ignorance, why would it need a range of 10000 ports
    opening though - isn't that almost as bad as having no firewall? I've
    just tested it though with all those ports open anyway - didn't make any
    difference.

    > Anyway, are you sure you've configured your settings correctly in the
    > phone itself?

    The $64,000 question, I suppose! AFAIK, yes... but wouldn't the
    computer interface display Sipgate as having an error - at the moment it
    says "Registered"?

    Thanks for replying.

    David

    Lobster, Sep 28, 2008

  3. Lobster

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:46:12 +0100, Lobster wrote:

    > Jono wrote:

    >> I would say you may need more than just port 5060 opening. I have UDP
    >> ports 5060-5069 & 10000-20000.

    > Well, dunno... I'm sure I only had 5060 opened when it was working
    > before. In my ignorance, why would it need a range of 10000 ports
    > opening though - isn't that almost as bad as having no firewall? I've
    > just tested it though with all those ports open anyway - didn't make any
    > difference.

    Depends what you mean by 'open'; Do you mean allowing traffic out from
    your handset onto the internet? Or do you mean allowing connections in
    from the internet to your handset? Or both?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:31:44 up 7 days, 41 min, 1 user, load average: 4.03, 4.05, 4.00

    alexd, Sep 28, 2008
  4. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

    Many thanks for the help.

    > Lobster wrote:

    >> I'm using (or trying to) with Sipgate, via a Linksys WRT54G router. It
    >> originally worked fine (once I'd sussed I needed to open port 5060 on
    >> the router!), but for some reason (probably due to me having fiddled
    >> with something?) it hasn't worked for several weeks despite all my
    >> efforts - the phone just says "No IP Connection".

    > Hmmm... I had that for several accounts but that was down to incorrect
    > password on one account my mistake of foolishly copy/paste password
    > which very rarely works on anything where password is masked on input.
    > (i.e. copying actual numbers from e-mail rather than direct keyboard
    > entry into field)

    OK, have re-entered password...

    >> Logging into the computer interface (http://192.168.1.101/login.html),
    >> under 'Telephony' I can see that Sipgate is registered and active. I
    >> can use my Sipgate account fine via a softphone on my laptop, too.
    >>
    >> It's set to automatic IP address assignment.

    > I tried that and found it made things a bit more confusing so I
    > allocated it a fixed IP address well away from the network PC's

    Have now switched to fixed IP address...

    > Sipgate settings

    > STUN enabled - No
    > Outbound proxy mode - auto

    No idea what these are all about; but have now changed to these from my
    original settings of 'Yes' (with settings gleaned from sipgate.co.uk)
    and 'No' respectively. (Or was it 'Yes' and 'Yes'? Bugger...) Is this
    important?

    > The only other thing I have is under "Telephony > advanced settings"
    > I set it to "Use Random Ports - Yes"
    > But that was more to do with the fact I still have my Draytek on the
    > system doing in/out SIP calls as well.
    >
    > didn't need to do anything to the router, just let it be.
    > I though the router/firewall opened up ports it needed from the
    > safe-side rather than needing to allow the ports to be set wide open to
    > everyone and everything?

    AFAIK I do need to open port 5060; that was apparently the original
    cause of the system not working problem when I first bought it, as
    advised by someone here (see one of my old threads!).

    > What about... simpler than that... is the softphone logging in and
    > preventing the ATA grabbing the session? or does the same thing happen
    > with all PC's shut down?

    Indeed, it's the same with all PCs off. Though FWIW if I log into my
    account on Sipgate I can see the S685IP listed as a registered device
    (as well as the softphone if that PC is switched on). Against the S685IP
    it states: IP: sip:58**116@86.*.1*7.114:5060 (where * = digits I've
    deleted), which surely implies all should be working OK?

    > Also... I found in the absence of any way or re-booting the ATA either
    > remotely or physically (apart from the mains switch of course) unticking
    > the "active" box then re-ticking it.

    OK, rebooted the little black interface box (is that the ATA?!) and have
    unticked and ticked the "active" box...

    Have done all the above steps one at a time, and unfortunately none of
    them have made any difference. I can't help feeling I've done something
    stupid somewhere and am about to shout "Duh!" and slap my forehead, but
    so far - I'm still struggling.

    Bloody thing.

    David

    Lobster, Sep 29, 2008
  5. In article <Rn1Ek.10858$2>,
    Lobster <> wrote:

    >> STUN enabled - No
    >> Outbound proxy mode - auto

    >AFAIK I do need to open port 5060; that was apparently the original
    >cause of the system not working problem when I first bought it, as
    >advised by someone here (see one of my old threads!).

    OK. STUN and Port opening/forwarding. The biggest cause/headache of
    one-way audio. Doesn't (shouldn't) affect registration though. (Which
    can be very frustrating - my phones registerd, but I can't hear you!)

    With regard to port opening - if you're using a NAT firewall, then for
    the most part you don't really need an external firewall turned on. I'll
    likely get flamed for this, but for the most part, it's not needed. Turn
    the external firewall off if you're using a NAT router. (Unless you know
    what you're doing and really need it - Zyxel users take note!)

    Port forwarding is a differnet kettle of fish. Either port-forward
    5060 AND the RTP ports to your phone, or don't. If you do port-forward
    them to the phone, then you'll probably need to tell the phone what your
    external IP address is. The RTP ports are negotiated by the far-end, so
    you'll need to know in-advance what they are. Asterisk defaults to using
    10,000 through 20,000, but other services are different.

    STUN - This is a mechanism which lets the phone find-out what the NAT
    firewall is doing, how it works and how to bypass it - or at least use
    it to it's own advantage. You need a stun server and a port - usually
    the default port is 3478, but sometimes it's different.

    And sometimes you don't need to do anything because the SIP service
    you're connecting to runs their own magical proxy server that can work
    out what's happening and try to work out what the right thing to do is.

    Personally, I've had more success using a STUN server and not doing any
    untoward port-forwarding and firewalling other than NAT.

    Finally, some routers get in the way of SIP - either because they
    themselves are SIP clients (rotuers with phone sockets on them), or
    think that they know all sbout how SIP works and try to magiclly make it
    work for you. Most of these are broken. (Look for "SIP ALG" in their
    documentation and turn it off)

    SIP is great - it's taken me a long time to get into it though, but it's
    also horribly complex and really not suited for NAT firewalls.. Come the
    revolution when everyone uses IPv6 and NAT "goes away"... But that's not
    going to happen in my lifetime!

    For Siemens DECT phones, I use a STUN server (I run my own - if anyone
    wants to use it, drop me an email) and set the proxy to "Never". This has
    worked for sipgate and my own Asterisk servers. For other SIP services,
    who knows!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 29, 2008
  6. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <Rn1Ek.10858$2>,
    > Lobster <> wrote:
    >
    >>> STUN enabled - No
    >>> Outbound proxy mode - auto

    >> AFAIK I do need to open port 5060; that was apparently the original
    >> cause of the system not working problem when I first bought it, as
    >> advised by someone here (see one of my old threads!).

    > OK. STUN and Port opening/forwarding. The biggest cause/headache of
    > one-way audio. Doesn't (shouldn't) affect registration though. (Which
    > can be very frustrating - my phones registerd, but I can't hear you!)
    >
    > With regard to port opening - if you're using a NAT firewall, then for
    > the most part you don't really need an external firewall turned on. I'll
    > likely get flamed for this, but for the most part, it's not needed. Turn
    > the external firewall off if you're using a NAT router. (Unless you know
    > what you're doing and really need it - Zyxel users take note!)
    >
    > Port forwarding is a differnet kettle of fish. Either port-forward
    > 5060 AND the RTP ports to your phone, or don't. If you do port-forward
    > them to the phone, then you'll probably need to tell the phone what your
    > external IP address is. The RTP ports are negotiated by the far-end, so
    > you'll need to know in-advance what they are. Asterisk defaults to using
    > 10,000 through 20,000, but other services are different.
    >
    > STUN - This is a mechanism which lets the phone find-out what the NAT
    > firewall is doing, how it works and how to bypass it - or at least use
    > it to it's own advantage. You need a stun server and a port - usually
    > the default port is 3478, but sometimes it's different.
    >
    > And sometimes you don't need to do anything because the SIP service
    > you're connecting to runs their own magical proxy server that can work
    > out what's happening and try to work out what the right thing to do is.
    >
    > Personally, I've had more success using a STUN server and not doing any
    > untoward port-forwarding and firewalling other than NAT.
    >
    > Finally, some routers get in the way of SIP - either because they
    > themselves are SIP clients (rotuers with phone sockets on them), or
    > think that they know all sbout how SIP works and try to magiclly make it
    > work for you. Most of these are broken. (Look for "SIP ALG" in their
    > documentation and turn it off)
    >
    > SIP is great - it's taken me a long time to get into it though, but it's
    > also horribly complex and really not suited for NAT firewalls.. Come the
    > revolution when everyone uses IPv6 and NAT "goes away"... But that's not
    > going to happen in my lifetime!
    >
    > For Siemens DECT phones, I use a STUN server (I run my own - if anyone
    > wants to use it, drop me an email) and set the proxy to "Never". This has
    > worked for sipgate and my own Asterisk servers. For other SIP services,
    > who knows!

    Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all that, which I read
    with an increasingly sinking feeling as I realise just how far down the
    learning curve I am. TBH - pretty much convinced me to pack the thing
    up its box again and send it back :-(

    However - just had one final fiddle around and have been in another
    sub-submenu on the phone's web interface called "number assignment".
    I'm embarrassed to admit this, but in there I found a checkbox telling
    the handsets to use 'justvoip' rather than 'sipgate' - I very briefly
    played with and rejected justvoip some weeks ago and this setting must
    have got tweaked. (Pause while slams head on desk multiple times).

    So yes, it was something pretty straightforward, as I'd rather suspected
    as it had worked for me once before. But thanks very much to everyone
    who's tried to help out.

    But if anyone's still listening:...

    How do I go about diverting all incoming calls on sipgate so they go to
    sipgate's voicemail service? The phone's web interface only seems to
    allow me to forward them to a number, and I can't see any way of doing
    it via my sipgate account online. I only want to use VOIP for outgoing
    calls.

    Thanks
    David

    Lobster, Sep 29, 2008
  7. Lobster

    Ian Pawson Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > Lobster wrote:
    >> I've posted here previously about getting the above to work properly -
    >> had a fair amount of teething trouble and TBH am regretting the purchase

    > I realised that within about 10 minutes i'd made a grave mistake but
    > that was down to the simplicity and system stupidity/inflexabillity
    > rather than complexity.
    >
    > I got it working straight away with Sipgate though.
    >
    >> I'm using (or trying to) with Sipgate, via a Linksys WRT54G router. It
    >> originally worked fine (once I'd sussed I needed to open port 5060 on
    >> the router!), but for some reason (probably due to me having fiddled
    >> with something?) it hasn't worked for several weeks despite all my
    >> efforts - the phone just says "No IP Connection".

    > Hmmm... I had that for several accounts but that was down to incorrect
    > password on one account my mistake of foolishly copy/paste password
    > which very rarely works on anything where password is masked on input.
    > (i.e. copying actual numbers from e-mail rather than direct keyboard
    > entry into field)
    >

    >> Logging into the computer interface (http://192.168.1.101/login.html),
    >> under 'Telephony' I can see that Sipgate is registered and active. I
    >> can use my Sipgate account fine via a softphone on my laptop, too.
    >>
    >> It's set to automatic IP address assignment.

    > I tried that and found it made things a bit more confusing so I
    > allocated it a fixed IP address well away from the network PC's
    >
    > IP address: 192.168.0.200
    > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.000
    > Default gateway: 192.168.0.1 (router)
    > Preferred DNS server: 212.135.001.036 (ISP primary DNS server)
    > Alternate DNS server: 208.067.222.222 (open DNS server)

    I usually point the DNS server to the router as this has isp and opendns
    already set..
    You don't need to do anything with ports in the router.

    Ian Pawson, Sep 29, 2008
  8. Lobster

    Tim Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > The $64,000 question, I suppose! AFAIK, yes... but wouldn't the
    > computer interface display Sipgate as having an error - at the moment it
    > says "Registered"?

    If it says Registered, then it is working.

    Maybe you set up a second IP connection which is giving the error.

    have you unticked the gigaset.net account? This often messes things up.

    The phones work great with sipgate. sipgate even sell them.

    You shouldn't need to do any port fowarding on your router. SIPgate is
    nat safe so should just work. No fiddling required.

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 30, 2008