    click on the 64 version I receive a message saying that my version of sidebar
    is not compatible with my os. it says that I need to check to see if I am
    running a 64 or 32 os, but I know that I am running a 64.

    sarracenia88, Mar 2, 2008

  2. sarracenia88

    John Barnes Guest

    Looks like you have 3 options I can think of at the moment. Change your
    startup to use the 32-bit version. Do a repair install or find someone with
    a copy of the 64-bit sidebar folder (do the whole folder as you don't know
    what component may be damaged) and replace it.
    See my post of Jan 02 Re: Desktop Window Manager session manager freezes
    system for a procedure to restore.

    John Barnes, Mar 2, 2008

  3. sarracenia88

    sarracenia88 Guest

    I have tried copying over a folder from another system, but windows won't let
    me paste the files over the old ones, saying that I don't have permissions.
    Please note that I am using the admin account. Is there a special root
    password that I need to know?

    sarracenia88, Mar 2, 2008
  4. sarracenia88

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you have the folder, follow the procedures from that point in the Jan
    02 post.

    John Barnes, Mar 2, 2008
  5. If you copy using an elevated command prompt it may work. Even though you
    are administrator you still run as a standard user who is prompted when
    admin rights are required. If you are doing something that does not prompt
    for admin rights then using an elevated command prompt should get around it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 2, 2008
  6. sarracenia88

    sarracenia88 Guest

    Since I am a heavy linux user, I am not afraid to use the command prompt, but
    I don't know the windows commands. is there someway to access a root account,
    kind of like a sudo command.

    sarracenia88, Mar 3, 2008
  7. sarracenia88

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Just a shot in the dark...
    Have you tried pressing the Windows Key simultaneously with the "D".
    That combination toggles the sidebar on and off.
    Another one:
    Fire up msconfig by pression Windows Key simultaenously with the "R".
    Type msconfig and then press ENTER.
    Go to the startup tab.
    There should be an entry that loads Sidebar on startup.
    In the command column you should have:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun

    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 3, 2008
  8. sarracenia88

    sarracenia88 Guest

    just to let you know, the windows logo key and the d key is the show desktop
    command. I will try the r and windows later today.

    sarracenia88, Mar 3, 2008
  9. sarracenia88

    Carlos Guest

    Ooops!