    with sick minds: presumably we can do no more than avoid responding to
    them?
    , Mar 28, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >We seem are suffering an unwelcome spate of sick postings from 'people'
    >with sick minds: presumably we can do no more than avoid responding to
    >them?

    I mark them 'ignore' in agent and do a refresh on my view of 'not
    ignored'. It helps keep the urge to respond to them down to a
    manageable level.

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  3. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:06:04 -0500, wrote:

    > I mark them 'ignore' in agent and do a refresh on my view of 'not
    > ignored'. It helps keep the urge to respond to them down to a
    > manageable level.

    I only have a couple of the worst trolls marked 'delete'. If I'm
    ever interested in seeing what they might have said based on a
    followup, Agent can retrieve the missing message. Just type H to
    show headers and double click on the last Msg. ID shown under
    "References:" The message will be pulled up into a new browser
    window within a couple of seconds.
    ASAAR, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Paul Revere Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:16:26 -0800, ASAAR wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:06:04 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> I mark them 'ignore' in agent and do a refresh on my view of 'not
    >> ignored'. It helps keep the urge to respond to them down to a
    >> manageable level.

    > I only have a couple of the worst trolls marked 'delete'. If I'm
    > ever interested in seeing what they might have said based on a
    > followup, Agent can retrieve the missing message. Just type H to
    > show headers and double click on the last Msg. ID shown under
    > "References:" The message will be pulled up into a new browser
    > window within a couple of seconds.

    Since people inevitably respond, I just kill the thread so I don't have to
    bother with any responses either.
    Paul Revere, Mar 29, 2005
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:09:27 -0800, Paul Revere wrote:

    > Since people inevitably respond, I just kill the thread so I don't
    > have to bother with any responses either.

    Killing the thread may not mean the same thing to Agent and
    Hogwasher users. (Hogwasher???) In Agent I guess that would be
    equivalent to marking the thread with the "Ignore" setting.
    "Killing" the thread might be taken to mean simply deleting it,
    which would prevent newer messages in the thread from being
    retrieved. Is that the real name of your newsreader or was it just
    some more hogwash? :)
    ASAAR, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Paul Revere Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:03:25 -0800, ASAAR wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:09:27 -0800, Paul Revere wrote:
    >
    >> Since people inevitably respond, I just kill the thread so I don't
    >> have to bother with any responses either.

    > Killing the thread may not mean the same thing to Agent and
    > Hogwasher users. (Hogwasher???) In Agent I guess that would be
    > equivalent to marking the thread with the "Ignore" setting.
    > "Killing" the thread might be taken to mean simply deleting it,
    > which would prevent newer messages in the thread from being
    > retrieved. Is that the real name of your newsreader or was it just
    > some more hogwash? :)

    Hogwasher is a newsreader for the Mac.

    According to Hogwasher, I am "filtering" the thread which means I'm deleting
    it. I also "filter" (killfile) the troll.

    I don't know why others filter trolls, but I do it because I use newsgroups
    to gather interesting information (and to share what information I may have
    that another may fine interesting).

    Trolls simply waste my time. I am NOT interested in ANYTHING a troll may
    post, and responding just encourages more of the same.

    I check out 7 newsgroups daily. I wade through hundreds and hundreds of
    posts.

    Filtering out Trolls eliminates the original posting but my monitor still
    fills up with responses to the troll forcing me to wade through even MORE
    posts in my search for nuggets of wisdom/information.

    Those who feed trolls by responding to them, whether done out of ignorance,
    good intentions, or for whatever reason, also waste my time so I filter them
    as well. I don't filter the INDIVIDUALS who respond to trolls, just their

    I am unconcerned that I may not retrieve any future posts made in response to
    a troll. I barely have time to read the posts I search for.
    Paul Revere, Mar 29, 2005
  7. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:43:40 -0800, Paul Revere wrote:

    > According to Hogwasher, I am "filtering" the thread which means
    > I'm deleting it. I also "filter" (killfile) the troll.

    Ok, thanks. I once thought it best to kill nothing, but I now KF
    a couple of the worst in two NGs. It really makes for a much more
    pleasant experience. I don't KF anyone in this NG, but I do delete
    a large number of thread headers (before retrieving the message
    contents) of obviously offensive troll posts, spam and anything that
    might be an eBay ad.
    ASAAR, Mar 29, 2005
  8. Richard Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:41:56 -0500, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:43:40 -0800, Paul Revere wrote:
    >
    >> According to Hogwasher, I am "filtering" the thread which means
    >> I'm deleting it. I also "filter" (killfile) the troll.

    > Ok, thanks. I once thought it best to kill nothing, but I now KF
    >a couple of the worst in two NGs. It really makes for a much more
    >pleasant experience. I don't KF anyone in this NG, but I do delete
    >a large number of thread headers (before retrieving the message
    >contents) of obviously offensive troll posts, spam and anything that
    >might be an eBay ad.

    Hi,

    Just out of curiosity,how is"sick" defined in this NG?
    thanks..
    Richard, Mar 29, 2005
  9. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:57:43 GMT, Richard wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity,how is"sick" defined in this NG?

    I'm not aware that it's defined for any newsgroup, but then I
    haven't read this newsgroup's charter. Until an official definition
    is created I'd have to say that percieved sickness lies primarily in
    the sick, twisted minds of the beholders. :)
    ASAAR, Mar 29, 2005
  10. Inaccessible Guest

    In article <>,
    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:57:43 GMT, Richard wrote:
    >
    > > Just out of curiosity,how is"sick" defined in this NG?

    > I'm not aware that it's defined for any newsgroup, but then I
    > haven't read this newsgroup's charter. Until an official definition
    > is created I'd have to say that percieved sickness lies primarily in
    > the sick, twisted minds of the beholders. :)

    I would define as those finding a need to describe or make
    points for their argument using foul, inappropriate language
    or otherwise making an obviously controversial off topic
    post in the hope watching people fight. These are deemed sick
    especially those doing so by means of using a pseudonym.
    Inaccessible, Mar 30, 2005
  11. Inaccessible Guest

    In article <>,
    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:57:43 GMT, Richard wrote:
    >
    > > Just out of curiosity,how is"sick" defined in this NG?

    > I'm not aware that it's defined for any newsgroup, but then I
    > haven't read this newsgroup's charter. Until an official definition
    > is created I'd have to say that percieved sickness lies primarily in
    > the sick, twisted minds of the beholders. :)

    Cross-posters too.
    Inaccessible, Mar 30, 2005
  12. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Richard <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:41:56 -0500, ASAAR <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:43:40 -0800, Paul Revere wrote:
    > >
    > >> According to Hogwasher, I am "filtering" the thread which means
    > >> I'm deleting it. I also "filter" (killfile) the troll.

    > > Ok, thanks. I once thought it best to kill nothing, but I now KF
    > >a couple of the worst in two NGs. It really makes for a much more
    > >pleasant experience. I don't KF anyone in this NG, but I do delete
    > >a large number of thread headers (before retrieving the message
    > >contents) of obviously offensive troll posts, spam and anything that
    > >might be an eBay ad.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just out of curiosity,how is"sick" defined in this NG?

    Digital photos of vomit and poo, perhaps?
    Stewy, Mar 30, 2005