Sick connection to one shared folder

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jr4939@itsa.ucsf.edu, Aug 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Home network: desktop, wireless laptop, both XP Pro, connected via
    router, C drive setup for
    sharing.

    Relations between the 2 machines had been unusually good for a while.
    Then the laptop began to have trouble with (just) *one* desktop folder.
    I open Laptop's Network Places, click to show folders on desktop's C
    drive. No problems. Then click to open the desktop SETUPS folder and,
    repeatedly, display starts out fine, slows down at the bottom of the
    screen, folder
    contents fully displays after a long while. Click on one entry. Nothing
    happens - no
    highlighting. Sometimes if I wait up to a couple of minutes, I do get a
    response to my
    click. Sometimes I get impatient and go away to get some work done.
    Come back to either
    totally blank Explorer screen or restored laptop screen, i.e. Explorer
    has closed itself.
    Instead of going away, I try to close laptop's Network Places' folder
    for the recalcitrant
    window. Won't close, usually won't yield to Task Manager's commands.
    Often have to do
    manual reboot to get back in business. Desktop has no trouble at all
    with this folder and
    is able to copy to the laptop from it.

    Not very tolerable. - The desktop SETUPS folder had ~196 entries. Made
    two folders of it:
    Setups A-M, N-Z, not much with A-M, but N-Z usually behaves normally.
    If window is closed
    instead during delay, it takes > up to a minute for the desktop to
    reappear. Sometimes it
    still won't close at all in response to corner click, and Task Manager,
    altho obeyed, takes
    up to, or over, a minute to redisplay laptop screen. Trying all this
    with all other
    programs closed makes no difference. Explorer closing also happens
    sometimes and
    excessively slow response to clicks persists. I've bifurcated the
    alphabet further, with
    symptoms persisting, and without any useful clues as to whether any one
    file might be
    causing the problems.

    , Aug 20, 2006