SI - Work - Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Mar 24, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    FrankEss-worka: Far too cluttered. No one would ever guess the
    subject is "work".

    FrankEss-workb: I dunno if this says "work', but it's an interesting
    scene.

    ?-Amateur physicist: Really interesting project. Full credit for
    imagination.

    Savageduck-(Genius Bar): Unusual review for the Duck, but Why did you
    bother to post this?

    Savageduck-(Juggler): That's better. Good grab. You brought in a
    lot of elements...juggler, balls in the air, kid audience.

    Savageduck-(Creekside): Very sharp photo and good catch of the man
    with the smoke behind him, but not a really interesting scene.

    Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
    see this. What a find!

    Bowser-(Helicopter): Nicely done.

    Bowser-(?): I wouldn't stand under that.

    Conway-(Surveyor): Really?

    Conway-(Construction): Archive shot is one thing, but a scan of a 50s
    snapshot is stretching it too much.

    Conway-(Construction2): Ibid.

    MG-Painter: I like it. The curtain adds a good touch.

    Browne-Surveyor: Not much here.

    Browne-Lady Cop: Like Bowser's Adult Club, it's a fun photo.

    Browne-Flyfishing: Technically what I expect from Alan. After reading
    the threads on loss of detail at reduced size, I have to wonder if any
    more detail in the background of trees would add anything to the
    image. I think not.

    Richa-(Rug seller): This is the kind of shot I go after. I like the
    candid catches.

    Richa-(Camera exchange): Again, I'd do that shot. (And have, but
    with fewer in the crowd) Well composed for a candid.

    Philo-(Manikin): It's interesting, but it took me too long to figure
    out what was going on.

    PeterNewman-Coming Home: I like this kind of shot. The viewer can
    place himself as the subject. We've all been there.

    Banks-(Helicopter): Strangely static for the scene. I want some blur
    on those blades.

    The best photo in the bunch (IMO) is Alan's fly fishing, but there are
    several that are more interesting. Does that reflect what we are like
    as photographers? Do some of us go for the interesting and some of us
    go for the cover of some magazine?

    The biggest surprise is Peter Newman's. The guy who likes abstracts
    presents a slice of life photo.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 24, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    <snip>

    > PeterNewman-Coming Home: I like this kind of shot. The viewer can
    > place himself as the subject. We've all been there.

    Thank you for your comment: I had problems finding a work scene I could
    relate to.

    <xnip>>
    > The biggest surprise is Peter Newman's. The guy who likes abstracts
    > presents a slice of life photo.

    In any shot I try to present an abstract concept or pattern. In my Si
    image I see a repeating pattern and intersecting lines. The red bag is a
    counterpoint.

    Here is another of my images, where the abstraction is in the feather
    pattern.

    <http://www.pflionline.com/p16.html>

    I like abstracts that present the essence of my subject. I do not like
    abstracts in the Jackson Pollack sense. I look for the pattern abstraction.

    Another example, where I tried for the essence of the peacock in a
    manner that is not a cliche.

    <http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Abstract/21271728_bCdThq#!i=1693670410&k=4gXkj6L>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 25, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name and,
    except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:

    > FrankEss-worka: Far too cluttered. No one would ever guess the
    > subject is "work".

    > FrankEss-workb: I dunno if this says "work', but it's an interesting
    > scene.

    Too me it's a representation of work. Nice presentation of the art of
    others.

    > ?-Amateur physicist: Really interesting project. Full credit for
    > imagination.

    Nice capture. the facial expression says work.

    > Savageduck-(Genius Bar): Unusual review for the Duck, but Why did you
    > bother to post this?
    >
    > Savageduck-(Juggler): That's better. Good grab. You brought in a
    > lot of elements...juggler, balls in the air, kid audience.
    >
    > Savageduck-(Creekside): Very sharp photo and good catch of the man
    > with the smoke behind him, but not a really interesting scene.
    >
    > Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
    > see this. What a find!

    It would be nice to see more of the workers. ;-)

    > Bowser-(Helicopter): Nicely done.

    That image just cries out of HDR

    > Bowser-(?): I wouldn't stand under that.

    > Conway-(Surveyor): Really?
    >
    > Conway-(Construction): Archive shot is one thing, but a scan of a 50s
    > snapshot is stretching it too much.
    >
    > Conway-(Construction2): Ibid.
    >
    > MG-Painter: I like it. The curtain adds a good touch.
    >
    > Browne-Surveyor: Not much here.
    >
    > Browne-Lady Cop: Like Bowser's Adult Club, it's a fun photo.
    >
    > Browne-Flyfishing: Technically what I expect from Alan. After reading
    > the threads on loss of detail at reduced size, I have to wonder if any
    > more detail in the background of trees would add anything to the
    > image. I think not.
    >
    > Richa-(Rug seller): This is the kind of shot I go after. I like the
    > candid catches.
    >
    > Richa-(Camera exchange): Again, I'd do that shot. (And have, but
    > with fewer in the crowd) Well composed for a candid.

    to me the parties don't seem to be relating to each other. the seller
    has zero interest in the buyers. Probably telling the photographer not
    to take his picture.

    > Philo-(Manikin): It's interesting, but it took me too long to figure
    > out what was going on.
    >
    > PeterNewman-Coming Home: I like this kind of shot. The viewer can
    > place himself as the subject. We've all been there.
    >
    > Banks-(Helicopter): Strangely static for the scene. I want some blur
    > on those blades.
    >
    > The best photo in the bunch (IMO) is Alan's fly fishing, but there are
    > several that are more interesting. Does that reflect what we are like
    > as photographers? Do some of us go for the interesting and some of us
    > go for the cover of some magazine?

    I will not pick a best.
    the potter and the helicopter are good examples of interesting work shots.

    > The biggest surprise is Peter Newman's. The guy who likes abstracts
    > presents a slice of life photo.

    Tony Cooper - Sparks The there prosence is there, I owuld have preferred
    a bit mor subject matter isolation.The light green shadows and turquoise
    strip are distracting to my eye.

    Tony cooper - lady barber - why is it necessary to show all the junk in
    the barber shop/ I am sure why it was included.

    Tony Cooper the potter. Very well done. We can see his creativity in his
    interesting hands. Well done.
    My only nit is the inclusion of the frame in the upper right.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 25, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:45:19 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name and,
    >except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:
    >> Bowser-(Helicopter): Nicely done.

    >That image just cries out of HDR

    *Nothing* cries out for HDR! HDR images cry out for restraint.

    >> Richa-(Camera exchange): Again, I'd do that shot. (And have, but
    >> with fewer in the crowd) Well composed for a candid.

    >to me the parties don't seem to be relating to each other. the seller
    >has zero interest in the buyers. Probably telling the photographer not
    >to take his picture.

    I think I related to that one because I've been to camera exchanges
    like this and seen seller's like that. They *don't* have an interest
    in the buyers. They resent that buyers are only willing to pay a
    couple of bucks for some of the finest film cameras made. They are
    tired of all those people who come up and say "Oh, I used to have one
    of those!" and rave about the camera, but walk away without buying
    anything. They are tired of packing and unpacking stuff to show that
    no one buys. They can't *sell* the product to someone who has no
    interest in film bodies, so they wait for the person who is looking
    for a specific item.

    >Tony Cooper - Sparks The there prosence is there, I owuld have preferred
    >a bit mor subject matter isolation.The light green shadows and turquoise
    >strip are distracting to my eye.
    >

    >Tony cooper - lady barber - why is it necessary to show all the junk in
    >the barber shop/ I am sure why it was included.

    Ah, but that was the intent...to find an old-fashioned barbershop with
    all of the "junk" and old-timey things that barbershops used to have
    before men starting getting their hair cut at beauty salons. It took
    me quite a bit of searching to find one. I wish I had a wide-angle
    lens and could have included more of the junk.

    >Tony Cooper the potter. Very well done. We can see his creativity in his
    >interesting hands. Well done.
    >My only nit is the inclusion of the frame in the upper right.

    I don't have any idea of what you mean here. Do you mean the light
    colored thing in the upper left? Dyslexia at work here?

    But, thanks for the comments.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 25, 2012
  5. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-03-24 18:53:06 +0000, tony cooper said:

    > [...]
    > Savageduck-(Creekside): Very sharp photo and good catch of the man
    > with the smoke behind him, but not a really interesting scene.

    It's my favourite shot. I personally find it very interesting because
    of my fascination with man and machine working in harmony together.

    > Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
    > see this. What a find!

    I found this so amusing that I was unable to laugh aloud, which is
    extremely rare for me :)

    > [...]
    > Browne-Flyfishing: Technically what I expect from Alan. After reading
    > the threads on loss of detail at reduced size, I have to wonder if any
    > more detail in the background of trees would add anything to the
    > image. I think not.

    I sort-of agree, but have a look at the "medium size": it's just a
    horribly jagged photo, which it shouldn't be if image scaling was
    working properly.

    <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/142127903/medium>

    > [...]
    > Banks-(Helicopter): Strangely static for the scene. I want some blur
    > on those blades.

    It's crying out for blur on those blades.

    > The best photo in the bunch (IMO) is Alan's fly fishing, but there are
    > several that are more interesting. Does that reflect what we are like
    > as photographers? Do some of us go for the interesting and some of us
    > go for the cover of some magazine?

    I can't answer that question because I suppose it depends far too much
    on the target audience of the magazines you are thinking of. What you
    and I have in mind are probably worlds apart.

    > The biggest surprise is Peter Newman's. The guy who likes abstracts
    > presents a slice of life photo.

    I too was surprised.

    Tony, my favourite set is yours: not only do your three images have a
    lot in common in terms of very pleasant lightning, exposure, and scene
    colours, I get a very strong sense of "being there" rather than just
    looking at photos of events.

    Thanks for being the first to write comments, I enjoyed reading them.
    Pete A, Mar 25, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-03-25 18:21:48 +0100, tony cooper said:

    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:45:19 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>
    >> I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name and,
    >> except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:
    >>> Bowser-(Helicopter): Nicely done.

    >> That image just cries out of HDR

    > *Nothing* cries out for HDR! HDR images cry out for restraint.

    The _only_ fashion that I'm glad didn't fade away is the miniskirt. HDR
    nearly always reminds me of ultra-high pink platform shoes with
    horizontal stripes (pass me the sick bucket, please).

    I enjoy producing some of my bizarre abstractions, but, like eating a
    whole jar of cookies, it only seems like a good idea at the time - it
    shouldn't become an addiction.
    Pete A, Mar 25, 2012
  7. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:32:13 +0100, Pete A
    <> wrote:

    >> The best photo in the bunch (IMO) is Alan's fly fishing, but there are
    >> several that are more interesting. Does that reflect what we are like
    >> as photographers? Do some of us go for the interesting and some of us
    >> go for the cover of some magazine?

    >I can't answer that question because I suppose it depends far too much
    >on the target audience of the magazines you are thinking of. What you
    >and I have in mind are probably worlds apart.

    I can see Alan's photo on the cover of some magazine called "Fly
    Fisherman's Digest", "Outdoor World", or "Canadian Fisherman". (Made
    up titles since I don't fish or read magazines about fishing)

    I'm going to assume that Alan shoots RAW and can produce an image from
    the original that is magazine-worthy. It's the scene, not the
    rendition we see, that makes it.

    >Tony, my favourite set is yours: not only do your three images have a
    >lot in common in terms of very pleasant lightning, exposure, and scene
    >colours, I get a very strong sense of "being there" rather than just
    >looking at photos of events.
    >
    >Thanks for being the first to write comments, I enjoyed reading them.

    Ta.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 25, 2012
  8. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:45:19 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Tony cooper - lady barber - why is it necessary to show all the junk in
    >>the barber shop/ I am sure why it was included.

    > Ah, but that was the intent...to find an old-fashioned barbershop with
    > all of the "junk" and old-timey things that barbershops used to have
    > before men starting getting their hair cut at beauty salons. It took
    > me quite a bit of searching to find one. I wish I had a wide-angle
    > lens and could have included more of the junk.

    I *knew* Tony was hiding a "crop" in there somewhere.

    Eeeeeh, very clever.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Mar 25, 2012
  9. tony cooper

    Pete A Guest

    On 2012-03-25 19:26:10 +0100, Alan Browne said:

    > On 2012-03-25 13:32 , Pete A wrote:
    >> On 2012-03-24 18:53:06 +0000, tony cooper said:
    >>
    >>> [...]
    >>> Savageduck-(Creekside): Very sharp photo and good catch of the man
    >>> with the smoke behind him, but not a really interesting scene.

    >> It's my favourite shot. I personally find it very interesting because of
    >> my fascination with man and machine working in harmony together.
    >>
    >>> Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
    >>> see this. What a find!

    >> I found this so amusing that I was unable to laugh aloud, which is
    >> extremely rare for me :)
    >>
    >>> [...]
    >>> Browne-Flyfishing: Technically what I expect from Alan. After reading
    >>> the threads on loss of detail at reduced size, I have to wonder if any
    >>> more detail in the background of trees would add anything to the
    >>> image. I think not.

    >> I sort-of agree, but have a look at the "medium size": it's just a
    >> horribly jagged photo, which it shouldn't be if image scaling was
    >> working properly.
    >>
    >> <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/142127903/medium>

    > Can't help what pbase' image rendition does at the smaller sizes. Had
    > I sized it for that presentation size it would not have the 'jaggies'.
    >
    > It gets worse... here's an image from many SI's ago:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/25250889 - nice and crisp.

    This is no way a criticism, it took me a minute or two to find the
    correct URL for your beautiful shot:

    <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/25250889/original>

    > but shown as "Pbase large" it comes out:
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/25250889/large OUCH!!!
    > and even worse:
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/25250889/small

    Ouch, indeed. This demonstrates the very essence of my long-winded
    comments in another thread about image scaling and other software
    imaging issues: no matter how carefully we prepare a digital image for
    electronic transfer, the viewing audience may be seeing only a crap
    rendition of our work. There is nothing we can do about this other than
    thrusting a superb print in their face.
    Pete A, Mar 25, 2012
  10. tony cooper

    Walter Banks Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > Banks-(Helicopter): Strangely static for the scene. I want some blur
    > on those blades.

    Thanks for the comment. You are right of course. Hand held cranked
    the ASA to 400 to reduce blurring and start shooting a working helicopter
    laying the pull ropes tower to tower. This was a particularly tricking section
    of crossing an existing lower active powerline (and a highway). I was
    driving by at just the right time.

    It did stop the blurring, good point. It has been my screen saver for a few weeks.

    Walter..
    Walter Banks, Mar 26, 2012
  11. tony cooper

    Tim Conway Guest

    > Conway-(Surveyor): Really?
    >
    > Conway-(Construction): Archive shot is one thing, but a scan of a 50s
    > snapshot is stretching it too much.

    Aww c'mon. It was somewhere around 1987 and Kodachrome, (I think). They
    were installing pipeline under the highway with an auger - all 3 photos.
    Shot with a Minolta X-700 and Vivitar Ser 1 28-90 zoom (I think). Back in
    the days when I could climb down the ladder and do all those cool things 200
    lbs and 20+ years ago. :) At the time, I hadn't been into photography all
    that long.

    Tim Conway, Mar 26, 2012
  12. tony cooper

    Walter Banks Guest

    Bill Graham

    I hope he is okay. He did have some health issues

    Anybody heard from him in a while. I haven't seen a good political discussion (argument) in months.
    Walter Banks, Mar 26, 2012
  13. tony cooper

    Walter Banks Guest

    Re: Bill Graham

    I wasn't really wanting to start an other off topic war.

    I realized that I had not heard from him in quite a while.

    w..

    Walter Banks, Mar 27, 2012
  14. tony cooper

    Walter Banks Guest

    Re: Bill Graham

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > On 2012-03-26 17:25 , Walter Banks wrote:
    > > I hope he is okay. He did have some health issues
    > >
    > > Anybody heard from him in a while. I haven't seen a good political discussion (argument) in months.

    > Just received an e-mail.
    > * * * * *
    > Yes, Alan. I am alive and well and still living here in Salem, Oregon.
    > It is getting a bit harder for me to keep up with too many hobbies,
    > however, so I have settled on playing my flugelhorn for the senior
    > citizen dances twice a week, and pretty well stopped messing with
    > photography. For one thing, the diabetes is wrecking my macular plane,
    > and I am going blind. I can no longer drive at night, so my wife has to
    > deliver me to all the evening gigs. It won't be too long before I will
    > have to stop driving altogether. Otherwise, my wife and I and our 5 cats
    > are doing well, and thanks for asking.....
    >
    > Bill Graham
    > * * * * *
    >
    > Despite Diabetes and failing eyesight he's active. We can all hope to
    > be as positive when health declines.

    Attitude can keep him alive, and he still has it.

    Thanks

    w..
    Walter Banks, Mar 28, 2012
  15. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/25/2012 8:14 PM, Frank S wrote:

    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >> On 3/24/2012 2:53 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>
    >> I mostly agree with your comments, but I am too lazy to repeat name
    >> and, except where noted I don't have much to add to your comments:
    >>

    >>> FrankEss-worka: Far too cluttered. No one would ever guess the
    >>> subject is "work".

    >>> FrankEss-workb: I dunno if this says "work', but it's an interesting
    >>> scene.

    >> Too me it's a representation of work. Nice presentation of the art of
    >> others.
    >>

    > [...]
    >

    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Thank you, Peter.
    >
    > In my head I could see the sculptor sculpting, which was surely work,
    > and it resulted in his work, which worked for me.
    >
    > My submission notes:
    >
    > b: A portion of Ricardo Brecedo's "Grape Pickers" welded-steel sculpture
    > near Borrego Springs, east San Diego County, California. There are 128
    > others of his works to discover and enjoy in the area, including a
    > 350-foot-long "Dragon Snake".
    >
    > a: View (from my front porch) of construction on the community college
    > campus. This is about as near as I want to get to "work".
    >

    > I was - still am - convinced that the orange and green safety vests on
    > the site will convey "workers" to the perspicacious; "work" is included
    > in "workers", even for (wonder why I no longer see his posts) the
    > vaunted appreciator, Tony Cooper.
    >

    > Any road, I do enjoy looking at photos, and appreciate the effort that
    > goes into them. What inhibits my likelihood of submitting? I feel as if
    > when I do put up some work, it is possible that some will attract
    > comments, and I would then owe comments to the community. I'm too
    > slothful to guarantee I will respond, and remain forever in debt.

    While I hope for comments, good or bad, i like to share my thoughts with
    others. i learn a lot from simply viewing. Comments are a plus, and the
    comment lets me know that at least someone is interested enough to look.
    Keep participating.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 30, 2012
  16. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/26/2012 7:04 PM, Bowser wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:45:19 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Bowser-(Adult Club): Anyone who doesn't think the SI can be fun should
    >>> see this. What a find!
    >>>

    >> It would be nice to see more of the workers. ;-)
    >>

    > Talk to my wife. For some unknown reason we never went inside. We did,
    > however, see them on the porch later in the day, and some were very
    > good looking.
    >
    > Not that I was looking.

    Would your wife talk to me after I encourage you to go inside?
    Purely for the advancement of photography, of course?
    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 30, 2012