[SI] Tem - Cooper comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Cooper, Aug 27, 2013.

  1. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Bowser - No wonder the "The Wave is one of your favorite images. It
    would be one of anyone's. Nice conversion to black and white.

    The fisheye lens shot of the playground equipment is an interesting
    attempt, but lacks something. I'd try a selection of the left half,
    flopping it, and flattening. That would make the right half a mirror
    image of the left half. As long as we're going weird, go all the way.

    I got the significance of 10 with the basketball hoop, but just
    meeting the mandate isn't enough. There should be something of
    interest.

    Bob Coe - Interior architecture is difficult (for me, at least) and
    offers some interesting shapes and designs. I'd like the auditorium a
    little less dark, but the dark vignetting does work.

    Martha Coe - I like these early northeast US buildings and the idea of
    documenting them before they're gone forever. I think the building on
    the left is the most interesting, and would have shot to frame just
    that.

    Thistles are like cockroaches...they'll be here forever no matter what
    the landscapers do. The image isn't outstanding on its own, but does
    tie in with the documentation of what is now but will be gone from
    that site.

    It's a shame that the mural might be lost. Again, good to document
    these things. As a photograph, I'd take out the fire alarm and the
    Exit sign, but purists like everything retained.

    Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
    and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
    Zoom.

    There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
    ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
    Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
    camera.

    Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
    Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
    whatever to the diagonal left.

    Tim Conway - As mentioned about Bowser's hoop, meeting the mandate
    isn't enough. The sandwich poster meets, but doesn't interest. Ditto
    for the other 10 10 10 10 10.

    It's just the opposite with the landscape. I don't care what the
    mandate is, this is an excellent photo. Go buy a frame.

    Eric Stevens - Old machinery and vehicles is a favorite subject of
    mine. This shot, though, doesn't present an interesting view of the
    grader. Zoom in and get some aspect with more interest if you can't
    get the whole thing in an interesting setting.

    Trains are tough subjects for me. I look at them and think there's
    something good here, but often can't isolate one frame that works.
    That's the case here, too, with the locomotive. I really don't like
    that bright corner at lower right. It's what I see first, and it has
    nothing to do with the subject. The streetcar wheel is better.

    The Duck - That's my kind of shot. The hat covering the face makes
    this one. I don't remember the color version, but if there's chalk
    drawings on the pavement I might have preferred that. Generally, I
    like black and white for "Street candids", but if the color adds an
    element I'll go for color. I wouldn't use color just for the pastel
    sticks, though.

    San Simeon beach is the type of shot I'll never come up with, but I
    like the result. I'd not see the photograph that's there. The color
    blending in this is superb.

    The black and white canyon shot is of less interest to me. While it
    does have an Adams-like look, it's just kind of muddy - except for the
    water - to me. But, then, I'm not a landscape person.

    Tony Cooper - I've commented on mine in another thread. I did try to
    shoot three for the mandate of "10", though.

    DanP - The tower clock just doesn't do it for me. Seems out-of-focus
    with the salient details obscured.

    The planes, though, *do* do it. Extraordinary timing in the capture.
    An overall favorite of the bunch for me just for the skill of waiting
    for that moment.

    The lightning shot is another extraordinary timing capture, but calls
    for a white stroke border frame in the black PBase black background
    screen. It's so hard to tell where the image stops and the background
    begins on the right. Those three dots of light on the far right look
    like they were not in the scene.

    I miss Otter's shots. He usually comes up with something good.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Aug 27, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/27/2013 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >
    > Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
    > and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
    > Zoom.


    Thanks. I think of all photographs as interpretations. Some of mine are
    simply more of an abstraction, than others.

    >
    > There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
    > ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
    > Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
    > camera.
    >


    AS I said earlier. I must have been really tired to miss those spots. I
    looked at other images and they don't seem to show those spots. Strange.

    > Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
    > Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
    > whatever to the diagonal left.


    The purpose of the shoot was to catch the full moon rising over the
    bridges. The location is a little over an hour from where I live.
    Although shooting conditions were not ideal, I did what I culd to make
    the best of it.

    Thanks for commenting. I appreciate that neither you nor the Duck pull
    punches.

    --
    PeterN
     
    PeterN, Aug 29, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:20:40 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/27/2013 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
    >> and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
    >> Zoom.

    >
    >Thanks. I think of all photographs as interpretations. Some of mine are
    >simply more of an abstraction, than others.
    >
    >>
    >> There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
    >> ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
    >> Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
    >> camera.
    >>

    >
    >AS I said earlier. I must have been really tired to miss those spots. I
    >looked at other images and they don't seem to show those spots. Strange.
    >
    >> Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
    >> Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
    >> whatever to the diagonal left.

    >
    >The purpose of the shoot was to catch the full moon rising over the
    >bridges. The location is a little over an hour from where I live.
    >Although shooting conditions were not ideal, I did what I culd to make
    >the best of it.
    >
    >Thanks for commenting. I appreciate that neither you nor the Duck pull
    >punches.


    I sometimes wonder if I should add more positive comments or form them
    in a more obvious way. While I do say so when I like an image, people
    tend to miss the positive and read only the critical comments.

    I quite liked the Zoom photo. It's not my kind of thing, but I know
    enough about what you go for that I can see that you nailed this one.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Aug 29, 2013
    #3
  4. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/29/2013 9:51 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:20:40 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/27/2013 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
    >>> and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
    >>> Zoom.

    >>
    >> Thanks. I think of all photographs as interpretations. Some of mine are
    >> simply more of an abstraction, than others.
    >>
    >>>
    >>> There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
    >>> ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
    >>> Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
    >>> camera.
    >>>

    >>
    >> AS I said earlier. I must have been really tired to miss those spots. I
    >> looked at other images and they don't seem to show those spots. Strange.
    >>
    >>> Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
    >>> Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
    >>> whatever to the diagonal left.

    >>
    >> The purpose of the shoot was to catch the full moon rising over the
    >> bridges. The location is a little over an hour from where I live.
    >> Although shooting conditions were not ideal, I did what I culd to make
    >> the best of it.
    >>
    >> Thanks for commenting. I appreciate that neither you nor the Duck pull
    >> punches.

    >
    > I sometimes wonder if I should add more positive comments or form them
    > in a more obvious way. While I do say so when I like an image, people
    > tend to miss the positive and read only the critical comments.
    >
    > I quite liked the Zoom photo. It's not my kind of thing, but I know
    > enough about what you go for that I can see that you nailed this one.
    >


    I think I understand you enough to know when you like something. Just
    stay the way you are. I'm fine with that.

    --
    PeterN
     
    PeterN, Aug 29, 2013
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tony Cooper

    SI Comments - Cooper

    Tony Cooper, Jan 9, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    493
  2. Tony Cooper

    Steeples - Cooper's Comments

    Tony Cooper, Feb 13, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    245
    John Turco
    Feb 15, 2013
  3. Tony Cooper

    Shoot-In Comments by Cooper

    Tony Cooper, Mar 20, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    200
    Tony Cooper
    Mar 20, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Cooper's Comments - NTX

    Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    230
    PeterN
    Apr 30, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    Furniture - Cooper's comments

    Tony Cooper, Jun 10, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    229
Loading...

Share This Page