SI Peter Newman Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter, Jan 8, 2013.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Here are my short comments:
    Bowser 1:
    Using the square format sometimes makes composition difficult. It is a
    nice shot of the street sweeper but he is too centered leading to a
    static image. A vertical crop slightly below him and a vertical crop of
    the superfluous right side of the image would make it stronger.

    Bowser 2:
    This is a very nice capture. I very much like you would use of angles.
    I think that a vertical crop slightly to the left of the cart would
    eliminate wasted space and make your image even stronger.

    Bowser 3:
    Good capture. Was this guy yelling because he was about to be towed
    away? I would like to see just a tad more total rangeGood capture. Was
    this guy yelling because he was about to be towed away? I would like to
    see just a tad more total range.

    Rob 1;
    Nice capture of a guy at work. The two arms from two different people
    show him to be a pretty busy guy. If possible, I would like for those
    arms to be more in focus. The image is much too soft.

    Rob 2:
    Nice pattern shot. I do not agree with the Duck when he says it is not
    strictly Street photography. However, I will leave it up to Tony Cooper
    to make the final decision. I like the image.

    Rob 3:
    This is a really neat capture of the artist at work. Everything flows as
    I would expect and his redshirt nicely complements his painting.

    Duck 1:
    You have nicely captured the moment, and piqued my curiosity as to just
    what is this dude looking at. I like the repetition of the blue
    umbrella. However, that bright bald sky keeps drawing my eye away from
    the main scene.

    Duck 2:
    He has a hopeless despondent look. I would like to see more of his face.

    Duck 3:
    I wonder if he could juggle those clubs while riding that bicycle.

    Cooper Atelier:
    This is good seeing, with nice tonal range. There are really two
    pictures within this image. For me the door is distracting from the main
    image. I would have propped out everything from the left-hand part of
    the doorframe.

    Cooper Musical Rest:
    Nice capture of the musicians at rest. I assume the girl is either a
    singer or a flautist. Blurring or darkening the background would have
    made these guys stand out more.

    Cooper Tired:
    Tired, or despondent that they have just been turned down for a loan?
    The moment has been captured. Well done.

    Good capture of a whimsical moment:

    Bob Coe 1:
    I like that this was not shot with a level viewfinder. The angles and
    placement give us a good sense of time and place.

    Bob Coe 2:
    If a sense of disjointed clutter is what you wanted to convey, you have
    been successful. Sorry, this image just doesn't feel right to me.

    Bob Coe 3:
    This is a nice night shot conveying a sense of what a lonely place this
    must be at night. A little old lady pushing a shopping cart across the
    street would have added to that sense of loneliness.

    Yours truly:
    Almost off.
    I stood there quite a while in an anticipation which failed to
    materialize. :-(

    Aquaduct- both images.

    I was experimenting with available light and very high ISO, since I was
    unable to use flash at that location. The tonal range is a lot flatter
    than I would have hoped it would be, but my choice was those images or
    no images.

    Peter, Jan 8, 2013