    "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 16, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
    >> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
    >> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".

    > Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
    > the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.

    Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.
    Rob, Mar 16, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <> wrote:

    >On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
    >>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
    >>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".

    >> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
    >> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
    >>

    >Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

    You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
    no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
    furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
    photograph of furniture.

    It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

    Here's one I shot six days ago:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

    I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 17, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:

    >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
    >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
    >>>

    >> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

    > You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
    > no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
    > furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
    > photograph of furniture.
    >
    > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
    >
    > Here's one I shot six days ago:
    >
    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
    >
    > I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.

    May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
    to me, its a personal thing.
    Rob, Mar 17, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <> wrote:

    >On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

    >>> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

    >> You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
    >> no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
    >> furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
    >> photograph of furniture.
    >>
    >> It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    >> what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
    >>
    >> Here's one I shot six days ago:
    >>
    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
    >>
    >> I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.
    >>

    >May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
    >to me, its a personal thing.

    The funny thing is that we've been doing these "letter" mandates and
    no one has said they are not a challenge. Actually, they are less of
    a challenge than a specific object.

    I could submit this image and meet

    B = Blue Wall
    R = Red bench
    C = Chair
    P = Porch
    F = Furniture
    A = Aqua Chair

    and maybe some other letters.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 17, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    : >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
    : >>> <> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
    : >>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
    : >>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
    : >>>
    : >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
    : >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
    : >>>
    : >>
    : >>
    :
    : May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
    : to me, its a personal thing.

    I liked it. The cat is what makes it work.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 17, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 01:04:42 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    >: On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    >: > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    >: >
    >: >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    >: >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
    >: >>> <> wrote:
    >: >>>
    >: >>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
    >: >>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
    >: >>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
    >: >>>
    >: >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
    >: >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
    >: >>>
    >: >>
    >: >>
    >: >> Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.
    >: >
    >: > You must be very, very, good if any subject is not a challenge. It's
    >: > no challenge to *find* furniture, it's no challenge to *photograph*
    >: > furniture, but it is a challenge to come up with an interesting
    >: > photograph of furniture.
    >: >
    >: > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    >: > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
    >: >
    >: > Here's one I shot six days ago:
    >: >
    >: > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
    >: >
    >: > I'm sure you can do better. Let's see one.
    >: >
    >:
    >: May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
    >: to me, its a personal thing.
    >
    >I liked it. The cat is what makes it work.

    That's kinda what I meant when I said that the challenge is what the
    photographer does with the subject. I shot several frames of this
    furniture grouping. Just as I was about to move on, the cat came into
    the scene. From the series, I selected this one because the cat added
    an element. I would like the cat to have been looking to the left
    into the frame, but cats resist being told how to pose.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 17, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 01:38:19 -0400, Tony Cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 01:04:42 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    :
    : >On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:09:57 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : >: On 17/03/2013 11:32 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : >: > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:11:00 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    : >: >
    : >: >> On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    : >: >>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper
    : >: >>> <> wrote:
    : >: >>>
    : >: >>>> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and
    : >: >>>> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or
    : >: >>>> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".
    : >: >>>
    : >: >>> Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so
    : >: >>> the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.
    : >: >>>
    : >: >>
    : >: >>
    : >:
    : >: May have the bright eye catching colours, but still this does not appeal
    : >: to me, its a personal thing.
    : >
    : >I liked it. The cat is what makes it work.
    :
    : That's kinda what I meant when I said that the challenge is what the
    : photographer does with the subject. I shot several frames of this
    : furniture grouping. Just as I was about to move on, the cat came into
    : the scene. From the series, I selected this one because the cat added
    : an element. I would like the cat to have been looking to the left
    : into the frame, but cats resist being told how to pose.

    No, I like the direction the cat is facing. You get a good look at his eyes.
    If he were facing the sun, he'd probably be squinting. Also, it emphasizes his
    lack of interest in the project, which is clearly real. (Alternatively, he
    could be seen as glowering at a little kid approaching with an ice cream cone,
    ready to spill it on the bench.) Incidentally, the cat needed to be solid
    black or solid white. If he were any other color, you'd have had to
    Photoshoppe him black.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 17, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    [furniture]

    > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

    > Here's one I shot six days ago:

    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

    Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    furniture? Or on that bird?

    :)

    -Wolf'SCNR'gang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 17, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:11:00 PM UTC, Rob wrote:
    > On 17/03/2013 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:24:27 -0400, Tony Cooper

    > > <> wrote:

    > >> How about "furniture"? Regardless of the weather, there's chairs and

    > >> tables and sofas and beds around. It can be "indoor furniture" or

    > >> "outdoor furniture" or just "furniture".

    > > Sounds fine. I think I'll use a two-up for the next two mandates so

    > > the more difficult of the two can be shot over a two month period.

    > Count me out of that one. That's not a challenge.

    A picture of a live Raphus cucullatus might be more of a challenge
    and don't try tricking us with a picture of a stuffed one :)
    Whisky-dave, Mar 18, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:

    >Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >[furniture]
    >
    >> It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    >> what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

    >> Here's one I shot six days ago:

    >> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

    >Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    >Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    >furniture? Or on that bird?

    I am not a cat person, and no idea how one goes about posing a cat.
    This is a feral cat that lives on the museum grounds and is a quite
    independent creature. I feel lucky that it deigned to even enter the
    frame and remain there for a few moments. I went there to shoot the
    scene and didn't expect to have a creature in it.

    This, by the way, is a re-shoot of a scene I've shot before, and was
    done for a mandate in another group, but it wasn't used for that
    group because I had another shot I liked better. That answers your
    comment about my position on shooting "fresh".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 19, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:
    : Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    :
    : [furniture]
    :
    : > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    : > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
    :
    : > Here's one I shot six days ago:
    :
    : > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
    :
    : Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    : Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    : furniture? Or on that bird?

    I don't think you want much texture in the cat's fur. Everything else in the
    picture is bright solid colors. The cat needs to be solid black.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 19, 2013
  13. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >: Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    >: [furniture]

    >: > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    >: > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

    >: > Here's one I shot six days ago:

    >: > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

    >: Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    >: Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    >: furniture? Or on that bird?

    > I don't think you want much texture in the cat's fur. Everything else in the
    > picture is bright solid colors. The cat needs to be solid black.

    Just as the groom needs to be solid black and the bride be
    solid white, right?

    There's texture in fur, and IMHO it belongs there. Just as I
    can see texture in the furniture.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 20, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    >>[furniture]

    >>> It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    >>> what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

    >>> Here's one I shot six days ago:

    >>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

    >>Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    >>Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    >>furniture? Or on that bird?

    > I am not a cat person,

    My condolences.

    :)

    > and no idea how one goes about posing a cat.

    Oh, there are ways to entice a cat to behave in certain ways ---
    but cats do have a free will. Maybe they'll allow you to use
    their furniture and their camera to make photos of themselves
    --- or maybe not.

    However, having some texture in fur is not so much dependent on a
    cooperating model, but on the actual dynamic range of the photo.

    > This is a feral cat that lives on the museum grounds and is a quite
    > independent creature. I feel lucky that it deigned to even enter the
    > frame and remain there for a few moments. I went there to shoot the
    > scene and didn't expect to have a creature in it.

    Shooting only planned scenes and using only cooperating
    models is rather boring, IMHO, and only emphasizes planning,
    not observation and preparedness.

    > This, by the way, is a re-shoot of a scene I've shot before, and was
    > done for a mandate in another group, but it wasn't used for that
    > group because I had another shot I liked better. That answers your
    > comment about my position on shooting "fresh".

    It does. You're on the extreme side of it. I could be saying
    that you shouldn't use a photo that was in any way staged or
    pre-planned --- but I recognize that that would be extreme.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 20, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:06:31 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:

    >Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>>Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    >>>[furniture]

    >>>Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    >>>Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    >>>furniture? Or on that bird?

    >> I am not a cat person,

    >My condolences.
    >
    >:)
    >

    >> and no idea how one goes about posing a cat.

    >Oh, there are ways to entice a cat to behave in certain ways ---
    >but cats do have a free will. Maybe they'll allow you to use
    >their furniture and their camera to make photos of themselves
    >--- or maybe not.
    >
    >However, having some texture in fur is not so much dependent on a
    >cooperating model, but on the actual dynamic range of the photo.
    >

    >> This is a feral cat that lives on the museum grounds and is a quite
    >> independent creature. I feel lucky that it deigned to even enter the
    >> frame and remain there for a few moments. I went there to shoot the
    >> scene and didn't expect to have a creature in it.

    >Shooting only planned scenes and using only cooperating
    >models is rather boring, IMHO, and only emphasizes planning,
    >not observation and preparedness.

    I got the shot, didn't I? Isn't that utilization initiative?

    >> This, by the way, is a re-shoot of a scene I've shot before, and was
    >> done for a mandate in another group, but it wasn't used for that
    >> group because I had another shot I liked better. That answers your
    >> comment about my position on shooting "fresh".

    >It does. You're on the extreme side of it. I could be saying
    >that you shouldn't use a photo that was in any way staged or
    >pre-planned --- but I recognize that that would be extreme.

    All shots are pre-planned to some extent. When I shoot "Street", the
    pre-planning is little more than raising the camera and firing, but
    all other shots have some planning involved. Even "Street" requires
    having the camera set to the shutter speed and aperture that is
    expected to give the best results for the conditions. That's
    planning.

    Or, don't you consider the angle, the relationship of the subject to
    the sun, the camera settings, the decision to use or not use fill-in
    flash, and the framing of a shot to be "planning"?

    I don't do much in the way of "staged shots", but anyone who shoots
    non-candid people shots stages their subjects. Or should. Anyone who
    shoots table-top or still life stages their shots. I do some of that.

    It seems to me that pre-planning and staging shots are two of the most
    important parts of coming up with a good photograph. The rest is just
    pushing the button.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 20, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:14:52 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-03-20 09:06:31 -0700, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    ><> said:
    >
    >> Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    >>> I am not a cat person,

    >> My condolences.
    >>
    >> :)

    >I am not exactly a cat person myself (mainly due to allergies and a
    >preference for dogs), but there are times a cat might be worthy of an
    >iPhone shot.
    >< http://db.tt/bIMswEZ7 >
    >
    >I don't go out of my way to shoot cat subjects with a decent camera
    >unless it is a cheetah.
    >< http://db.tt/w0bdoUro >

    This one's a bit soft, but I like the softness of it:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-06-15-1.jpg
    It was taken at our zoo, and all the cats are behind fences that make
    shots difficult.

    No attempt was made to pose the subject.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 20, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 01:22:13 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:

    >Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>: Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    >>: [furniture]

    >>: > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    >>: > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.

    >>: > Here's one I shot six days ago:

    >>: > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg

    >>: Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    >>: Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    >>: furniture? Or on that bird?

    >> I don't think you want much texture in the cat's fur. Everything else in the
    >> picture is bright solid colors. The cat needs to be solid black.

    >Just as the groom needs to be solid black and the bride be
    >solid white, right?
    >
    >There's texture in fur, and IMHO it belongs there. Just as I
    >can see texture in the furniture.

    I'll be looking forward to some examples of your work showing details.
    I don't seem to be able to find any.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Mar 20, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:06:31 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

    [...]

    >>Shooting only planned scenes and using only cooperating
    >>models is rather boring, IMHO, and only emphasizes planning,
    >>not observation and preparedness.

    > I got the shot, didn't I?

    Results are all that matter? So why is there a problem with
    staged, photoshopped works for "news"?

    And if results are all that matter, why not using archive
    shots anyway?

    ?

    >>> This, by the way, is a re-shoot of a scene I've shot before, and was
    >>> done for a mandate in another group, but it wasn't used for that
    >>> group because I had another shot I liked better. That answers your
    >>> comment about my position on shooting "fresh".

    >>It does. You're on the extreme side of it. I could be saying
    >>that you shouldn't use a photo that was in any way staged or
    >>pre-planned --- but I recognize that that would be extreme.

    > All shots are pre-planned to some extent.

    To the extend that you didn't leave your camera at home, yes.

    Or maybe you *did* leave the camera at home, and the IR
    tripwire got the burgular or the cat.

    But you do understand what I meant.

    > I don't do much in the way of "staged shots", but anyone who shoots
    > non-candid people shots stages their subjects. Or should. Anyone who
    > shoots table-top or still life stages their shots. I do some of that.

    > It seems to me that pre-planning and staging shots are two of the most
    > important parts of coming up with a good photograph. The rest is just
    > pushing the button.

    Or maybe you use a cat cam, say
    http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/pe_cc_u.htm

    No button pushing, no staging, no pre-planning except
    "belling the cat" with the camera box you bought.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 22, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 01:22:13 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    >>Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >>> I don't think you want much texture in the cat's fur. Everything else in the
    >>> picture is bright solid colors. The cat needs to be solid black.

    >>Just as the groom needs to be solid black and the bride be
    >>solid white, right?

    >>There's texture in fur, and IMHO it belongs there. Just as I
    >>can see texture in the furniture.

    > I'll be looking forward to some examples of your work showing details.
    > I don't seem to be able to find any.

    What, you can't find any details in my work?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 22, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/19/2013 10:03 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:34:19 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    > <> wrote:
    > : Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > :
    > : [furniture]
    > :
    > : > It's not the subject, but how the photographer sees the subject and
    > : > what the photographer does with the subject that makes it a challenge.
    > :
    > : > Here's one I shot six days ago:
    > :
    > : > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-10-100.jpg
    > :
    > : Nice cat, but I can't see detail in most of the fur.
    > : Additionally, shouldn't the cat at least lounge on the
    > : furniture? Or on that bird?
    >
    > I don't think you want much texture in the cat's fur. Everything else in the
    > picture is bright solid colors. The cat needs to be solid black.

    This cat certainly isn't black
    <http://www.wimp.com/cathairdryer/>

    --
    PeterN