[SI] Food - Comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jun 13, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Some of the "Food" photographs demonstrate what a skill it is that
    professional food photographers have. That which is served to us is
    not always that appetizing when photographed. I imagine the pros have
    tricks that make a dog's breakfast one we would eat.

    As always, I appreciate imagination in subject matter.

    FrankEss's "Big Boy" reminds me of the tenderloin sandwiches that
    Frisch's used to offer, but - sadly - have removed from the menu in
    their location here. I like Dan's photo of take-out menus for the
    idea and the appropriateness, but - technically - the photo lacks
    sufficient detail probably due to motion blur at 1/8th shutter speed.
    The message gets across, though.

    Photographically, Chemiker's "Cocktail" stands out, as does
    Savageduck's fish market take and KurtP's #2 with something green and
    leafy in pots. A bit crowded, though. Kurt's composition in #2 is
    good because it shows that you don't have to have a full plate in view
    to show the subject, but the lighting and focus could have been
    better.

    Chemiker adds strange things as props, but they just don't work for
    me. Jade (?) and watermelon? I don't get it. Not in focus, either.
    Otter's sandwich doesn't look all that appetizing to me, and I hate
    messy food, but I did key on the bottle of Big Red. Big Red, now
    distributed by Dr Pepper/Snapple, used to be popular drink in Indiana.
    Big Boy and Big Red have associations for this former Hoosier. If
    that's a typical breakfast for Bob Flint, his arteries must be harder
    than that mineral in his name. His dinner includes corn, and I'm all
    for that.

    Peter Newman's #1 looks like a magazine shot for some resort.
    Strange, but not unattractive, texture. Was that a result of using a
    phone camera, or something added in post? That vertical smear running
    down through the lady's ponytail is a bit off-putting. A cord hanging
    down from the awning?

    Peter's #3 has some strange bits to it, too. Those two partial
    goblets on the right? A breadbasket to the right and a thumb to left?

    It does seem like several people in this group drink their dinner.

    Credit to Martha Coe for subject choice. Alan's into corn, too. In
    this case, the blurring at 1/10th works because the wooden spoon has a
    motion effect.

    About my own shots...#1 is a fresh shot taken Sunday at a Farmer's
    Market in downtown Orlando. #2 was shot in the same place, but
    earlier this year. It just fit my theme. #3 was shot in my own
    backyard for the mandate. I knocked that squirrel torture device
    together just for this. I'll feed the squirrels, but I make them work
    for it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 13, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/13/2012 1:21 AM, tony cooper wrote:

    > Peter Newman's #1 looks like a magazine shot for some resort.
    > Strange, but not unattractive, texture. Was that a result of using a
    > phone camera, or something added in post? That vertical smear running
    > down through the lady's ponytail is a bit off-putting. A cord hanging
    > down from the awning?

    Shot thru a Plexiglas window at a local place, where the view beats the
    food. We will only go back for lobster night. I was informed that if I
    left our table to take pictures, my dinning companion would not be
    happy. Ergo, I stayed on our side of the plexiglass.

    > Peter's #3 has some strange bits to it, too. Those two partial
    > goblets on the right? A breadbasket to the right and a thumb to left?

    I you look closely , it's not a thumb but an extension of the napkin.
    The image is an abstraction, representing three gin and tonics is
    enough. the first goes down smooth, and the glass seems small.etc.

    Thanks for your response.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 16, 2012

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:58:55 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 6/13/2012 1:21 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    >

    >> Peter Newman's #1 looks like a magazine shot for some resort.
    >> Strange, but not unattractive, texture. Was that a result of using a
    >> phone camera, or something added in post? That vertical smear running
    >> down through the lady's ponytail is a bit off-putting. A cord hanging
    >> down from the awning?

    >Shot thru a Plexiglas window at a local place, where the view beats the
    >food. We will only go back for lobster night. I was informed that if I
    >left our table to take pictures, my dinning companion would not be
    >happy. Ergo, I stayed on our side of the plexiglass.
    >

    >> Peter's #3 has some strange bits to it, too. Those two partial
    >> goblets on the right? A breadbasket to the right and a thumb to left?
    >>

    >I you look closely , it's not a thumb but an extension of the napkin.
    >The image is an abstraction, representing three gin and tonics is
    >enough. the first goes down smooth, and the glass seems small.etc.
    >
    >Thanks for your response.

    I'm sorry to have misjudged the photo, but the problem with abstracts
    like that is that they are not abstract enough to be identifiable as
    such. They look like mistakes.

    It's as if Dali painted a watch but only the hour hand looks melted.
    One would wonder if Dali's hand was unsteady when adding the hour hand
    but he did fine with the rest of the painting.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 16, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2012 5:37 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:58:55 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/13/2012 1:21 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>

    >>> Peter Newman's #1 looks like a magazine shot for some resort.
    >>> Strange, but not unattractive, texture. Was that a result of using a
    >>> phone camera, or something added in post? That vertical smear running
    >>> down through the lady's ponytail is a bit off-putting. A cord hanging
    >>> down from the awning?

    >> Shot thru a Plexiglas window at a local place, where the view beats the
    >> food. We will only go back for lobster night. I was informed that if I
    >> left our table to take pictures, my dinning companion would not be
    >> happy. Ergo, I stayed on our side of the plexiglass.
    >>

    >>> Peter's #3 has some strange bits to it, too. Those two partial
    >>> goblets on the right? A breadbasket to the right and a thumb to left?
    >>>

    >> I you look closely , it's not a thumb but an extension of the napkin.
    >> The image is an abstraction, representing three gin and tonics is
    >> enough. the first goes down smooth, and the glass seems small.etc.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your response.

    > I'm sorry to have misjudged the photo, but the problem with abstracts
    > like that is that they are not abstract enough to be identifiable as
    > such. They look like mistakes.
    >
    > It's as if Dali painted a watch but only the hour hand looks melted.
    > One would wonder if Dali's hand was unsteady when adding the hour hand
    > but he did fine with the rest of the painting.

    If the representation wasn't clear, it is my fault, for not
    communicating that within the image.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jun 17, 2012