    computer remotely. I know the command exists but maybe I am just too
    Dumb to figure out how to make it work.

    Both computers are windows xp with a router between them
    The Wolfmare, Sep 12, 2006

  2. The Wolfmare

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:26:02 +0000, The Wolfmare Has Frothed:

    > I just bought a router and want to be able to shut down the other
    > computer remotely. I know the command exists but maybe I am just too
    > Dumb to figure out how to make it work.
    >
    > Both computers are windows xp with a router between them

    For XP Pro: http://tinyurl.com/g3ln8 Never tried this with Home.

    To perform a remote shutdown

    1.
    Open Computer Management (Local)

    2.
    In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then
    click Connect to another computer.

    3.
    In the Select Computer dialog box, click Another computer, type the name
    of the computer that you want to restart or shut down, and then click OK.
    You can also click Browse to search for the name of the computer.

    4.
    In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Remote computer
    name), and then click Properties.

    5.
    On the Advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery.

    6.
    Click Shut Down to open the Shut Down dialog box.

    7.
    Under Action, select the actions you want to perform on the computer to
    which you are connected.

    8.
    Under Force Apps Closed, select the circumstances under which you want to
    force applications to close when you shut down or restart the computer,
    and then click OK.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 12, 2006

  3. "The Wolfmare" <> wrote in message
    >I just bought a router and want to be able to shut down the other computer
    >remotely. I know the command exists but maybe I am just too Dumb to figure
    >out how to make it work.
    >
    > Both computers are windows xp with a router between them

    I usually just use Task Manager through Remote Desktop. There is a Shut
    Down menu in XP. This menu doesn't appear on Windows Server 2003, but you
    can shut down a headless server through the Start Menu.

    Or you may be interested in Systernal's PsTools for networking. One of
    them, PsShutdown is a command line to do this.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsTools.html

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Sep 12, 2006
  4. The Wolfmare

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:26:02 GMT, The Wolfmare wrote:

    >I just bought a router and want to be able to shut down the other
    >computer remotely. I know the command exists but maybe I am just too

    The command exists in the router, or maybe XP?

    www.google.com

    >Both computers are windows xp with a router between them

    Sounds a bit daft, buy hey what's that got to do with shutting down a
    remote PC.

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    D:\Documents and Settings>shutdown /?

    Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t
    xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

    No args Display this message (same as -?)
    -i Display GUI interface, must be the first
    option
    -l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    -s Shutdown the computer
    -r Shutdown and restart the computer
    -a Abort a system shutdown
    -m \\computername Remote computer to
    shutdown/restart/abort
    -t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    -c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127
    characters)
    -f Forces running applications to close
    without warning
    -d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
    u is the user code
    p is a planned shutdown code
    xx is the major reason code (positive
    integer less than 256)
    yy is the minor reason code (positive
    integer less than 65536)

    Not all the Win OS PCs here are XP this utility works on then all.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsTools.html
    PsShutdown

    Then there are addons if you have a UPS,
    http://uk.shopping.com/xPO-APC_Remote_Power_Off_Remote_management_adapter_AP9830

    Or remote power bars, set the PC startup and turn the power on/off
    http://www.wti.com/115plus.htm

    Me
    why?, Sep 12, 2006
  5. The Wolfmare

    Guest

    The Wolfmare <> wrote:

    >I just bought a router and want to be able to shut down the other
    >computer remotely. I know the command exists but maybe I am just too
    >Dumb to figure out how to make it work.
    >
    >Both computers are windows xp with a router between them

    Start | Run <type in> SHUTDOWN /? <enter>

    shutdown -s -m \\ computer name

    You can use this method in a batch file.

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321