Shutting down laptop put it into hibernation, now wants password to boot back up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PRW, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. PRW

    PRW Guest

    Hi, my wife just used her laptop to set up her 2008 benefits at work,
    they got a CD which was supposed to guide them through the process,
    etc. She did that successfully, then tried to shut her laptop down.
    She logged out of Windows XP, got the blue start window, and said that
    she clicked "shut down." However, she says when she did that, the
    computer (Dell) said "going into hibernation" even though she wasn't
    trying to put it into hibernation. Now, every time she tries to boot
    the computer back up, it asks for her "Windows password." We are
    hoping that's the serial number for her copy of Windows because she
    did not put a Windows password in the computer herself. (We're looking
    for her discs that came with the computer at the moment, our computer
    room is in a state of disarray and as would be our luck it's in an
    even worse state of disarray than usual at the exact moment we need to
    find something). Can anybody give me an idea what would have caused
    this computer to go into hibernation when she wasn't trying to put it
    into hibernation? Because we'd really like to prevent this from
    happening again. Also, what exactly do we need to do to get her back
    up and running, as far as the password issue? Thanks in advance for
    any help.
    PRW, Oct 24, 2007

  2. Re: Shutting down laptop put it into hibernation, now wants passwordto boot back up

    PRW wrote:
    > Hi, my wife just used her laptop to set up her 2008 benefits at work,
    > they got a CD which was supposed to guide them through the process,
    > etc. She did that successfully, then tried to shut her laptop down.
    > She logged out of Windows XP, got the blue start window, and said that
    > she clicked "shut down." However, she says when she did that, the
    > computer (Dell) said "going into hibernation" even though she wasn't
    > trying to put it into hibernation. Now, every time she tries to boot
    > the computer back up, it asks for her "Windows password." We are
    > hoping that's the serial number for her copy of Windows because she
    > did not put a Windows password in the computer herself. (We're looking
    > for her discs that came with the computer at the moment, our computer
    > room is in a state of disarray and as would be our luck it's in an
    > even worse state of disarray than usual at the exact moment we need to
    > find something). Can anybody give me an idea what would have caused
    > this computer to go into hibernation when she wasn't trying to put it
    > into hibernation? Because we'd really like to prevent this from
    > happening again. Also, what exactly do we need to do to get her back
    > up and running, as far as the password issue? Thanks in advance for
    > any help.

    GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND, DUMBASS.
    Paige D'Winter, Oct 24, 2007

  3. PRW

    PRW Guest

    On Oct 23, 7:44 pm, Paige D'Winter <> wrote:
    > PRW wrote:
    > > Hi, my wife just used her laptop to set up her 2008 benefits at work,
    > > they got a CD which was supposed to guide them through the process,
    > > etc. She did that successfully, then tried to shut her laptop down.
    > > She logged out of Windows XP, got the blue start window, and said that
    > > she clicked "shut down." However, she says when she did that, the
    > > computer (Dell) said "going into hibernation" even though she wasn't
    > > trying to put it into hibernation. Now, every time she tries to boot
    > > the computer back up, it asks for her "Windows password." We are
    > > hoping that's the serial number for her copy of Windows because she
    > > did not put a Windows password in the computer herself. (We're looking
    > > for her discs that came with the computer at the moment, our computer
    > > room is in a state of disarray and as would be our luck it's in an
    > > even worse state of disarray than usual at the exact moment we need to
    > > find something). Can anybody give me an idea what would have caused
    > > this computer to go into hibernation when she wasn't trying to put it
    > > into hibernation? Because we'd really like to prevent this from
    > > happening again. Also, what exactly do we need to do to get her back
    > > up and running, as far as the password issue? Thanks in advance for
    > > any help.

    > GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND, DUMBASS.

    Yeah, but it ain't quick enough when you've got a woman screeching at
    you about what's the matter with her computer and accusing me of
    accusing her of messing it up when I actually was trying to chill her
    out so I could figure out what was going on. Problem's fixed, BTW. She
    told me didn't have a password, turns out that she did and when she
    calmed down, she remembered it and got back into her computer. So
    sorry to waste everyone's time. :)
    PRW, Oct 24, 2007
  4. PRW

    richard Guest

    On Oct 23, 7:43 pm, PRW <> wrote:
    > Hi, my wife just used her laptop to set up her 2008 benefits at work,
    > they got a CD which was supposed to guide them through the process,
    > etc. She did that successfully, then tried to shut her laptop down.
    > She logged out of Windows XP, got the blue start window, and said that
    > she clicked "shut down." However, she says when she did that, the
    > computer (Dell) said "going into hibernation" even though she wasn't
    > trying to put it into hibernation. Now, every time she tries to boot
    > the computer back up, it asks for her "Windows password." We are
    > hoping that's the serial number for her copy of Windows because she
    > did not put a Windows password in the computer herself. (We're looking
    > for her discs that came with the computer at the moment, our computer
    > room is in a state of disarray and as would be our luck it's in an
    > even worse state of disarray than usual at the exact moment we need to
    > find something). Can anybody give me an idea what would have caused
    > this computer to go into hibernation when she wasn't trying to put it
    > into hibernation? Because we'd really like to prevent this from
    > happening again. Also, what exactly do we need to do to get her back
    > up and running, as far as the password issue? Thanks in advance for
    > any help.

    go to the dell website customer support forums. Give them the tag
    number and they will tell you how to cure it.
    richard, Oct 24, 2007