    most of the time it has to be manually shut down!

    Any suggestions?
    Shirley

    kiwigirls, Jan 26, 2004

  2. kiwigirls

    philo Guest

    <portions snipped>

    > I have a HP 564a computer and originally it would shut down automatically
    > until I installed Norton 2003/2004 and Norton Personal Firewall. Now it

    goes
    > to the blue screen like it is shutting down and freezes.

    By carefully editing your question, I think I might have isolated the cause
    of your problem.
    (see above)

    philo, Jan 26, 2004

  3. kiwigirls

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:52:05 +1300, "kiwigirls" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a HP 564a computer and originally it would shut down automatically
    >until I installed Norton 2003/2004 and Norton Personal Firewall. Now it goes
    >to the blue screen like it is shutting down and freezes. I have to manually
    >turn the computer off!
    >I was told it was because there were programs running in the background
    >which I would end the process , now sometimes it closes automatically but
    >most of the time it has to be manually shut down!
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >Shirley

    Since you didn't state the OS, scroll through the below list to yours:

    Windows 2000 Does Not Shut Down Correctly with Adaptec
    Easy CD Creator 4.0 or Earlier Installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285461

    HOW TO: Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315409

    HOW TO: Use the Remote Shutdown Tool to Shut Down and
    Restart a Computer in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317371

    Win98 SE shutdown problems
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnse.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/kbshtdwn.php
    [ More results from http://www.aumha.org ]

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

    How to disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187607

    How to troubleshoot W98 shutdown problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q202633

    How to troubleshoot W98 SE shutdown problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238096
    http://www.techadvice.com/w98/S/Shutdown.htm

    Shutdown troubleshooter for Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    "It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try
    to Shut Down Your WinXP, Win2000 Computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810903

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q308029

    Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311806

    Unk, Jan 26, 2004
  4. kiwigirls

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:03:29 -0500, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    <snip>

    >How to disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
    >http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187607
    >
    >How to troubleshoot W98 shutdown problems
    >http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q202633
    >
    >How to troubleshoot W98 SE shutdown problems
    >http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238096
    >
    >Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q308029
    >
    >Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    >http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311806

    Just a FYI, Unk. The Microsoft preview web pages are no longer valid.
    All KB articles now take the form of:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=XXXXXX

    or

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004
  5. kiwigirls

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:03:45 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:03:29 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Unk scrawled:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>How to disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187607
    >>
    >>How to troubleshoot W98 shutdown problems
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q202633
    >>
    >>How to troubleshoot W98 SE shutdown problems
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238096
    >>
    >>Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q308029
    >>
    >>Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311806

    >Just a FYI, Unk. The Microsoft preview web pages are no longer valid.
    >All KB articles now take the form of:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=XXXXXX
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX

    I noticed that. I forgot to update ALL of my notes.
    Thanks Mike. :)

    Unk, Jan 27, 2004
  6. kiwigirls

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:11:54 -0500, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:03:45 +0000, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Just a FYI, Unk. The Microsoft preview web pages are no longer valid.
    >>All KB articles now take the form of:
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=XXXXXX
    >>
    >>or
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX

    >I noticed that. I forgot to update ALL of my notes.
    >Thanks Mike. :)

    NP. :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance