    yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.

    Thanking you in advance

    Keith

    Keith Holley, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Keith Holley

    Harvey Guest

    "Keith Holley" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    > it.

    The Fuji S7000 does :)

    Harvey, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Keith Holley

    werdan Guest

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    > it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.

    My Minolta 7D has one. It's a special Minolta one but it's the same one that
    came with my 7000 almost 20 years ago. (Holy crap! Has it been a that long?)

    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.

    A moNopod gives you portability against stability. It is usually lighter and
    smaller than a tripod and people aren't going to trip over it in a crowd.
    It's also much quicker to set up. You need to use your body to brace it so
    you can't get really long shutter speeds out of it.

    A compromise is to use 1 leg of the tripod extended as a monopod. You get
    the portability and speed, just not the weight saving.

    werdan, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Keith Holley

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Keith Holley wrote:

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.
    >
    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance
    >

    > Keith

    Hi,
    Some has remote control.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Keith Holley

    MC Guest

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    > it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.

    A lot of digital cameras have the provision for a wireless remote control of
    some kind or another (as an optional add-on). Mine does and its not exactly
    high end.

    MC

    MC, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Keith Holley

    ZONED! Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:55:02 +1100, Keith Holley
    <> wrote:

    >I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    >provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    >The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    >Most film 35mm all have it.

    Where did you get this information? Older cameras with little or no
    electronics (save light meters) almost always did, but more recent
    cameras with electronic shutters etc. seemed to have phased them out
    often.

    ZONED!, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Keith Holley

    Bill Guest

    Keith Holley wrote:

    >I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    >provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    >The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    >Most film 35mm all have it.

    Actually most, if not all, digital SLR cameras have a cable release of
    some kind. Both of my SLR bodies (digital and 35mm) have it.

    >Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    >Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    >yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.

    A monopod is usually just for weight support of a large lense - it gets
    tiresome holding a 5-10 pound lense.

    A tripod is used for complete stability and isolation from camera shake,
    often for long exposures.

    Bill, Feb 28, 2005
  8. Keith Holley

    Sheldon Guest

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    > it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.
    >
    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance

    I don't know why they did this. Some cameras do have provision for a cable
    release, but many don't, and some DSLR's have provisions to lock up the
    mirror, but many do not, except to clean the sensor.

    Your options are often a wireless remote, that usually costs extra. Use the
    timed shutter release, they almost all have this. And a few cameras, like
    the D70, will allow the computer to trip the shutter when the camera is
    connected to the computer with its USB cable. I can't think of any more,
    but it still puzzles me they did away with this feature, especially on some
    of the cameras they call "pro" models.

    Sheldon, Feb 28, 2005
  9. Keith Holley

    [BnH] Guest

    Err ...
    Pro camera ...
    Nikon D1 and D2 family can have the MC-20 and MC-30 cable release
    Canon 10D and 20D and 1D family can use the RS-063 [ is it the correct
    p/n ? :p ]
    Fuji S2 Pro can use the threaded cable release

    I have no idea on the Pentax, KM, Sigma , etc etc .

    Pro's uses monopod as they can use their 2 legs to compliment the monopod
    [ I think :p ]

    =bob=

    [BnH], Feb 28, 2005
  10. Keith Holley

    dj_nme Guest

    Keith Holley wrote:

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.

    Most of the older, manual focus SLR cameras have provision for a srew-in
    cable release.
    It seems that with the introduction of autofocus and lots of electronics
    , the camera manufacturers each decided make a proprietary cable release
    for their cameras.

    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.

    Monopds are realy for when there is limited room and/or limited weight
    carrying capacity.
    If you have to lug the damn thing around all day and don't plan on
    taking any realy long exposures (eg: a daytime event), then a monopod
    would be more than adequate for the task.
    They are great for stablising long lenses when you may need to move
    around quickly and don't want to take up much room.

    dj_nme, Feb 28, 2005
  11. Keith Holley <> writes:

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.

    The Fuji S2 will take a conventional mechanical cable release.

    > Most film 35mm all have it.

    Not any more. Many of them only take an electronic remote of some
    sort.

    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.

    A monopod stabilizes you in one dimension, a tripod in three. A
    monopod is easier to move quickly with, and takes up less space. For
    many press photographer purposes, a monopod is sufficient, and the
    benefits important. For a landscape photographer, a monopod really
    isn't stable enough, and the benefits aren't very important.

    Both are good tools for certain things; not the same things. You need
    to pick your tools to match the photos you want to take.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 28, 2005
  12. Keith Holley

    Frank ess Guest

    Keith Holley wrote:
    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack
    > of it. The professional digital camera have remote control but not
    > cable release. Most film 35mm all have it.
    >
    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot
    > trains yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use
    > momopods.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance
    >

    > Keith

    When digital got to the point serious manufacturers started to make
    cameras interesting to serious users, there was a lot of discussion
    about that, and lots of solutions. I think manufacturers saw a new
    source of revenue. In particular, Nikon offered a $120 timer and remote
    for the Coolpix 995. At least one user solved it in his shop, building a
    clamp-on bracket that let a conventional cable release pin push the
    995's shutter button. There was a Web page with step-by-step
    instructions. It may still be out there.

    Monopods are cool and handy. You must provide the two missing
    stabilizers with parts of your body or other features of the
    environment. Some people are good at it, others not so. Practice,
    practice, practice.

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
    -Deepak Gupta

    Frank ess, Feb 28, 2005
  13. Keith Holley

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Keith Holley wrote:

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.
    >
    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance
    >

    > Keith

    You can pan with a monopod, and you can lean it in various ways, which
    may be a bit difficult with an inexpensive tripod. Obviously, the
    tripod is superior for 'unattended' shots.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 28, 2005
  14. Keith Holley

    Vincent Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Keith Holley wrote:
    >>

    >> I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    >> provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    >> it.
    >> The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable
    >> release.
    >> Most film 35mm all have it. Another question pros and cons of Momopod
    >> as against Tripod.
    >> Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot
    >> trains
    >> yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.
    >>
    >> Thanking you in advance
    >>

    > You can pan with a monopod, and you can lean it in various ways, which may
    > be a bit difficult with an inexpensive tripod. Obviously, the tripod is
    > superior for 'unattended' shots.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    I have three tripods, super short 200mm, , short 350mm. and 135cm for my
    5500 and it works great on unnatended shots and also movie shots, never
    thought of using a mono

    Vincent, Feb 28, 2005
  15. Keith Holley

    Piemanlager Guest

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    > it.

    Minolta 7d has cable realease.

    A monopd can give you that bit of extra stability for long lens use yet is
    still fairly easy to pick up and run with. Thats why many sports pros use
    them if they need to be moving around a venue often to get the shots
    required.

    Tripod give you better stability but of course its not so portable.

    Piemanlager, Feb 28, 2005
  16. Keith Holley <> writes:

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.

    Many medium/high end digital cameras do have the capability of using a cable
    release, though often these are specific to that model, do not come as part of
    the standard package, and often are pricy compared to the cable releases of
    yore. Some times you also have to buy the vertical grip to get a cable socket
    (for example on the Olympus C-8080 and E-300/E-VOLT cameras). For shooting in
    a studio, many cameras can be controled by computer via the USB/firewire cable.

    > Another question pros and cons of Momopod as against Tripod.
    > Why many years a go a professional told me to use a momopod to shot trains
    > yet most people use a tripods while the professional press use momopods.

    I don't own a monopod, but I would imagine a tripod gives much better
    stabalization than a mono-pod, which I've seen figures quoted that it will give
    you roughly two stops worth of stabalization. On the other hand, a mono-pod is
    much easier to setup, is easier to carry, and doesn't require the floor space
    that a tripod would. The later may be important in the press pool situation
    where you seem to have all of the photographers crowded together.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 28, 2005
  17. Keith Holley <> writes:

    > I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    > provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    > The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    > Most film 35mm all have it.

    I forgot to mention in my previous post, another solution is to make an
    attachment over the shutter to use a range finder cable release. Or you might
    be able to use the Kaiser strap that does this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=109447&is=REG

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 28, 2005
  18. Keith Holley

    k Guest

    | I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    | provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    it.
    | The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    | Most film 35mm all have it.

    the Sony f717 / f828 do

    k, Feb 28, 2005
  19. Keith Holley

    Dave Guest

    On 28 Feb 2005 07:37:00 -0500, Michael Meissner
    <> wrote:

    >Keith Holley <> writes:
    >
    >> I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    >> provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of it.
    >> The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    >> Most film 35mm all have it.

    >I forgot to mention in my previous post, another solution is to make an
    >attachment over the shutter to use a range finder cable release. Or you might
    >be able to use the Kaiser strap that does this:
    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=109447&is=REG

    This guy built his own:

    http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/cablerelease/

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 28, 2005
  20. Keith Holley

    ZONED! Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:37:26 +0800, "k" <> wrote:

    >"Keith Holley" <> wrote in message
    >|

    >| I have notices that all digital camera from top to bottom do not have
    >| provision for cable shutter release is there any reason for the lack of
    >it.
    >| The professional digital camera have remote control but not cable release.
    >| Most film 35mm all have it.
    >

    >the Sony f717 / f828 do

    I looked here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/ I do not
    see any mention and the shutter release button has noi threads. Am I
    missing something?

    ZONED!, Feb 28, 2005