    and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to long. So I
    guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs anyhelp
    would greatly be appreciated thank-you
    cathy, May 12, 2006

  2. cathy

    Mark² Guest

    cathy wrote:
    > I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to
    > purchacea camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard time
    > with getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own a Kodak
    > DX6340 and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to
    > long. So I guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs
    > anyhelp would greatly be appreciated thank-you

    What's your budget?
    Mark², May 12, 2006

  3. cathy wrote:
    > I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to
    > purchacea camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard time
    > with getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own a Kodak
    > DX6340 and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to
    > long. So I guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs
    > anyhelp would greatly be appreciated thank-you

    With your existing camera, are you able to half-press the shutter to
    prepare the shot, and then get a much faster response on the final
    half-press?

    David
    David J Taylor, May 12, 2006
  4. cathy <> wrote:
    : I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to purchacea
    : camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard time with
    : getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own a Kodak DX6340
    : and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to long. So I
    : guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs anyhelp
    : would greatly be appreciated thank-you

    Most camera manufacturers seem to not want to publish the shutter lag in
    any of their specs. So you will have to go to an independant reviewer for
    this like dpreview.com. Since much of the lag that I have experienced has
    been mostly auto focus, cameras that have the ability to manually focus
    and/or manually set or preset as many basic functions as possible (focus,
    aperture, shutter speed, etc) will allow you to possibly speed up the lag
    time between pressing the shutter and getting an image. Of course if you
    are trying to catch a suddenly noticed and quickly disappearing subject,
    there will be no time to preset. But take a look at the dpreview site to
    narrow down the choices you have that will satisfy your needs.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, May 12, 2006
  5. cathy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    cathy wrote:
    > I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to purchacea
    > camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard time with
    > getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own a Kodak DX6340
    > and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to long. So I
    > guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs anyhelp
    > would greatly be appreciated thank-you

    Many cameras now include this specification in the product information.
    In general, the lowest shutter lag figures are from DSLR cameras, but
    many of the newer P&S cameras have very low shutter lag figures. If the
    DX6340 is too slow for you, investigate cameras in the P850 range, or
    comparable ones from other companies. I have the DX6440 and am quite
    happy with the shutter lag.
    Also, there are many things you can do to minimize shutter lag, such as
    utilizing mode settings appropriate to the environment, and
    'prefocusing'. In some cameras, you can also shorten the lag by leaving
    the LCD display ON.
    Ron Hunter, May 12, 2006
  6. cathy

    Mark² Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > cathy wrote:
    >> I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to
    >> purchacea camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard time
    >> with getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own a Kodak
    >> DX6340 and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to
    >> long. So I guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs
    >> anyhelp would greatly be appreciated thank-you

    > What's your budget?

    Even a low-level DSLR (Nikon D50) will outperform just about any
    point-and-shoot when it comes to shutter lag...not to mention that a true
    through-the-lens optical viewfinder can't be beaten for immediacy and
    (human) reaction time.
    Mark², May 12, 2006
  7. Mark² wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> cathy wrote:
    >>> I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to
    >>> purchacea camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard
    >>> time with getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own
    >>> a Kodak DX6340 and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is
    >>> way to long. So I guess Im wondering where can I find that info in
    >>> the specs anyhelp would greatly be appreciated
    >>> thank-you

    >> What's your budget?

    > Even a low-level DSLR (Nikon D50) will outperform just about any
    > point-and-shoot when it comes to shutter lag...not to mention that a
    > true through-the-lens optical viewfinder can't be beaten for
    > immediacy and (human) reaction time.

    ... although such a camera with a full complement of lenses and other
    accessories may not be within the OP's budget.

    Today's non-SLR cameras are much faster than those of a few years ago, to
    the point where for many purposes (but not all) shutter lag is no longer
    an issue. Sites like DP Review provide test data on lag times:

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    I would start by wanting to know what the OP's photographic needs are
    (telephoto, wide-angle, macro, sports etc.) and then look at cameras
    meeting that need, and the review tests on those cameras.

    David
    David J Taylor, May 12, 2006
  8. cathy

    Mark² Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What's your budget?

    >> Even a low-level DSLR (Nikon D50) will outperform just about any
    >> point-and-shoot when it comes to shutter lag...not to mention that a
    >> true through-the-lens optical viewfinder can't be beaten for
    >> immediacy and (human) reaction time.

    > .. although such a camera with a full complement of lenses and other
    > accessories may not be within the OP's budget.

    Perhaps I misunderstand the OP's wishes...but why would he need a "full
    compliment of lenses" if he's (apparently) prepared to be satisfied with the
    single lens range of a point-and-shoot? Sounds more like a kit-lens is all
    that is need to me... -Not expensive at all (maybe an additional $80-100
    with most low level DSLRs).
    Mark², May 12, 2006
  9. Mark² wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:

    []
    >> .. although such a camera with a full complement of lenses and other
    >> accessories may not be within the OP's budget.

    > Perhaps I misunderstand the OP's wishes...but why would he need a
    > "full compliment of lenses" if he's (apparently) prepared to be
    > satisfied with the single lens range of a point-and-shoot? Sounds
    > more like a kit-lens is all that is need to me... -Not expensive at
    > all (maybe an additional $80-100 with most low level DSLRs).

    But one of the main points about buying a DSLR is that you can get extra
    lenses, and therefore when costing the DSLR some consideration should be
    given to that. If you aren't going to get extra lenses, why bother with
    the added cost of an interchangeable lens mount?

    That's one reason why I asked what Cathy's photographic objectives were.
    At the moment she is using a USD $~200 camera, a $~700 DSLR is a big jump.

    David
    David J Taylor, May 12, 2006
  10. cathy

    Mark² Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:

    > []
    >>> .. although such a camera with a full complement of lenses and other
    >>> accessories may not be within the OP's budget.

    >> Perhaps I misunderstand the OP's wishes...but why would he need a
    >> "full compliment of lenses" if he's (apparently) prepared to be
    >> satisfied with the single lens range of a point-and-shoot? Sounds
    >> more like a kit-lens is all that is need to me... -Not expensive at
    >> all (maybe an additional $80-100 with most low level DSLRs).

    > But one of the main points about buying a DSLR is that you can get
    > extra lenses, and therefore when costing the DSLR some consideration
    > should be given to that. If you aren't going to get extra lenses,
    > why bother with the added cost of an interchangeable lens mount?

    Because he's after minimum shutter lag...and that's how he can get it.
    If he wants more lenses down the road, he'll have that option.

    > That's one reason why I asked what Cathy's photographic objectives
    > were. At the moment she is using a USD $~200 camera, a $~700 DSLR is
    > a big jump.

    Ya. It is more than twice that, but not if he buys a used DSLR like the
    300D or even a used 10D.
    There are many low-cost DSLR options.
    I don't say it's his only option, but it may be worth consideration.
    Em tasol!
    :)
    Mark², May 12, 2006
  11. The current DSLRs are generally all fast now and as the point and shoots
    are replaced with newer models they are getting much faster. As noted the
    on line reviews are good places to look. I will also suggest that before
    buying any camera that you get the camera into your hands and see how it
    feels. Can you easily and comfortably reach all the controls?

    Good Luck

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, May 12, 2006
  12. cathy

    Mike Fields Guest

    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>> David J Taylor wrote:

    > Because he's after minimum shutter lag...and that's how he can get it.
    > If he wants more lenses down the road, he'll have that option.
    >
    >> That's one reason why I asked what Cathy's photographic objectives
    >> were. At the moment she is using a USD $~200 camera, a $~700 DSLR is
    >> a big jump.

    > Ya. It is more than twice that, but not if he buys a used DSLR like
    > the 300D or even a used 10D.
    > There are many low-cost DSLR options.
    > I don't say it's his only option, but it may be worth consideration.
    > Em tasol!
    > :)

    Somehow, I suspect "Cathy" is a "she" ...
    Mike Fields, May 12, 2006
  13. cathy

    Scott W Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > cathy wrote:
    > > I'm looking to purchace a new digital camera. I would like to purchacea
    > > camera with minamal shutter lag but I am having a hard time with
    > > getting thru the specs and understanding right now I own a Kodak DX6340
    > > and I feel the time it tales to capture my image is way to long. So I
    > > guess Im wondering where can I find that info in the specs anyhelp
    > > would greatly be appreciated thank-you
    > >

    > Many cameras now include this specification in the product information.
    > In general, the lowest shutter lag figures are from DSLR cameras, but
    > many of the newer P&S cameras have very low shutter lag figures. If the
    > DX6340 is too slow for you, investigate cameras in the P850 range, or
    > comparable ones from other companies. I have the DX6440 and am quite
    > happy with the shutter lag.

    The point and shoot cameras are getting better but still far slower
    then a DSLR. The P850 still has a shutter lag of over half a second
    compared to less then a quarter of a second for the 350D.

    The shot to shot time for a point and shoot is also a lot longer, the
    P850 has a shot to shot time of 1.84 seconds.

    Any one thinking of getting a new camera should at least go to a store
    where then can take a couple of test shoots with a DSLR to get the feel
    of it.

    Scott
    Scott W, May 12, 2006
  14. cathy

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:

    >> Because he's after minimum shutter lag...and that's how he can get
    >> it. If he wants more lenses down the road, he'll have that option.
    >>
    >>> That's one reason why I asked what Cathy's photographic objectives
    >>> were. At the moment she is using a USD $~200 camera, a $~700 DSLR is
    >>> a big jump.

    >> Ya. It is more than twice that, but not if he buys a used DSLR like
    >> the 300D or even a used 10D.
    >> There are many low-cost DSLR options.
    >> I don't say it's his only option, but it may be worth consideration.
    >> Em tasol!
    >> :)

    > Somehow, I suspect "Cathy" is a "she" ...

    Oops.
    :)
    Mark², May 12, 2006
  15. cathy

    cathy Guest

    I'm looking to stay around 350.00 no more then 400.00
    cathy, May 12, 2006
  16. On 12 May 2006 08:53:01 -0700, cathy <> wrote:
    > I'm looking to stay around 350.00 no more then 400.00

    A lot of good choices in that price range. Some more questions to help
    narrow things down:

    How big of a camera do you want? Something the size of a credit card, or
    something larger?
    Do you want a big zoom lens?
    Do you want manual controls (control over shutter speed and aperture)?
    Do you want a viewfinder (above and beyond the big screen on the back)?

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, May 12, 2006
  17. cathy

    tkranz Guest

    As others have noted, auto-focus is the main culprit. Experiment with and
    learn the half press to pre-focus. My first digital camera was a Sony with
    minimal controls and horrible shutter lag if you used full auto mode. But
    it did have an option to preset focus distance ranges, and the shutter lag
    was barely noticable when focus was preset. Hope this helps.

    tkranz, May 12, 2006
  18. cathy

    Celcius Guest

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

    > > David J Taylor wrote:

    > > Because he's after minimum shutter lag...and that's how he can get it.
    > > If he wants more lenses down the road, he'll have that option.
    > >
    > >> That's one reason why I asked what Cathy's photographic objectives
    > >> were. At the moment she is using a USD $~200 camera, a $~700 DSLR is
    > >> a big jump.

    > > Ya. It is more than twice that, but not if he buys a used DSLR like
    > > the 300D or even a used 10D.
    > > There are many low-cost DSLR options.
    > > I don't say it's his only option, but it may be worth consideration.
    > > Em tasol!
    > > :)

    > Somehow, I suspect "Cathy" is a "she" ...

    Mike,
    Who cares about sex when you have a shutter lag problem ? ;-)))))
    Marcel
    Celcius, May 12, 2006
  19. cathy wrote:
    > I'm looking to stay around 350.00 no more then 400.00

    What units? Pounds? US Dollars? Euros? Danish crowns?
    David J Taylor, May 12, 2006
  20. cathy

    Guest

    , May 12, 2006